General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley V4 in the Works?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 04:17 PM
sfarson
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enjoy the aircooled 45 degree v in the big twins. Will always have one. But would also mention the V-4 is a killer engine... possible my favorite engine. Have a Honda and Ducati V-4 and they come with the soul stirring soul of a V-2 and deliver a performance also zapping the spine. If H-D were to deliver a V-4 powered bike I'd be very interested.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Grammaton
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DDuess
One of the reasons I like bikes is because they don't have cooling systems, hoses, radiators to keep up.
Same here. When I'm riding along, enjoying the breeze, and smell antifreeze, I like knowing it's not me.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:31 PM
slack
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BlackRob
Seeing that picture of the Nova made me think- isn't there a lot of rumors about the Road Glide being canceled this year? A water cooled V4 touring bike with fairing maybe in the works? Go ahead and say it: "Hydro Glide". I like the sound of it already.
Didnt Harley make a Hydro Glide...

Last edited by slack; 04-05-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:53 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnT
New Cycle World (May '09) has an article suggesting that Harley is working on a 72 degree, water-cooled V-4. Displacement ranges are expected to be between 1300 and 1600 cc. Speculation is that a 1290 cc version would rev to 12,000 and make horsepower in the neighborhood of 170. If this is true, and the engine fits in the new touring frame, the Harley faithful may not be happy, but we could be looking at the next generation of touring bikes.
How in the hell is a 72 degree water-cooled V-4 going to fit in a frame designed for a 45 degree air-cooled V-twin? And why would anyone want a 12,000rpm engine in ANY motorcycle, much less a touring bike?
As for Harley totally ruining the bikes and the company, stranger things have happened. Twenty years ago, who would've thought that GM's management could totally bury the company? Or look at how NASCAR has pissed away much of their fan support.
Harley almost went the way of water-cooled V-fours with the Nova project thirty years ago. But they stuck with what they knew and what Harley is, and made the company one of the biggest corporate success stories in history. However, what with the Twin Cam and the V-Rod, it doesn't look like they have learned from previous successes.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:43 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

This is actually pretty funny. My friends and I were discussing the possibility of a V-4/water cooled/Porsche powered/automatic/belt driven, shaft driven, etc.... Harley while I was in High School almost 40 years ago!! Some of the stuff that was just in our imaginations has happened, some hasn't. It's nice to see we are still imagining things.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:56 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Lincoln33
I believe it was the Nova project that delved into water-cooled H-D engines. If H-D can build a water cooled engine that looks, sounds, and runs good without a gaudy radiator cluttering up the front I'll buy it.
Nova was 1980 and sucked...

Old 04-05-2009, 07:10 PM
sfarson
Road Master

Originally Posted by mp
How in the hell is a 72 degree water-cooled V-4 going to fit in a frame designed for a 45 degree air-cooled V-twin? And why would anyone want a 12,000rpm engine in ANY motorcycle, much less a touring bike?
Well, in answer to your questions, H-D would supplement exisiting lines/models with a bike having a different chassis. It would be another branch of the family tree. Just because one can rev to 12K doesn't mean one does so all the time. I have bikes that go to that realm but don't think I've been further north of 9K.

Milwaukee knows the baby boomer demographic is fading. Milwaukee also knows overseas is where the growth is. Saturation is the situation in NA. Perhaps the Revolution engine isn't the answer. Perhaps a narrow, high performance V-4 is. Who knows. While the air cooled v-2 will always be the heart and soul of a Harley (No prob meeting EPA restrictions), and will continue to be the bread and butter of their business, it will be a declining business unless H-D can offer something to demographics and overseas potential buyers who have less interest/commitment to the air cooled legacy. It is among the reasons why the V-Rod remains at the top of the sales charts at many international dealers.

I don't know if the V-4 is true, but I do know if Milwaukee has a strategic bone in the executive suite, they are certainly not gonna let their business fade away with the aging boomers. The MV Agusta acquisition is a piece of this strategic strategy.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:34 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by kk6pg
didnt HD shelve the Porsche project a long time ago?
You mean there was another besides what became the VROD?

Old 04-05-2009, 10:54 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David The Hutt
sorry to say it, but the "harley faithful" and willie G are dinasours. they need to get with the times. i love my heritage, but harley still has wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too many issues for this day and age (especially when compared to the reliability of the metrics)

if there were no "harley legend" and they had to stand on quality alone, they would be out of business. a harley isnt "junk". but they are not as good as they SHOULD AND COULD be.

for $20,000 i shouldnt have to see a mechanic for ANYTHING other than oil changes every 5k.

I wouldn't have bought 2 Harleys if they weren't reliable. My Dad, Uncle and I have had to do nothing but routine maitenance on our bikes.
I personally don't think I'd buy a water cooled bike. I donno why I prefer air cooled, less stuff to worry about.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:21 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sfarson
It is among the reasons why the V-Rod remains at the top of the sales charts at many international dealers.
Last summer I worked in Rome. The two most common Harleys I saw were Night Rods and XR1200s, then a lot of 883s--very few BTs.

Quick Reply: Harley V4 in the Works?