General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEVER Trust a Gas Pump!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 09:44 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by krwould
hmmmm.. I never used the handle lock in all the years I have been ridin!! I always hold it and watch the tank fill...
+1 Our tanks are small enough it takes what maybe 30-60 secs to fill up and have no spill and positive control of the pump!! Lessons learned, but crappy!! Hope you got the bike all cleaned!!

Old 04-05-2009, 09:51 AM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always watch the handle and never use the lock

Old 04-05-2009, 09:59 AM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,700 Likes on 2,125 Posts

It can happen when you're manually operating it as well. If you find it takes "extra effort" to squeeze the handle to start the flow, be suspicious and stop the flow before it gets near the top to be sure it shuts off when you expect it to shut off. This one didn't and really made a mess.

The station in question turned out to be one of our customers. While at a conference, the topic came up with their IT staff. The IT staff apologized left and right, asked for the station location and date I was there, then contacted corporate with the information. I received a letter from corporate explaining they work hard to ensure the equipment is in good working order and apologized for the inaction of the employees that day. They scheduled a training session with the store manager and employees and sent me an instore gift card.

I was really surprised and impressed at the efforts to keep their customers satisfied. Some operators do care and want to know. Sometime it means going to the corporate level.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:07 AM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EGlideKid
Moral of the story, NEVER EVER take your eyes off the gas while it's pumping!
Moral of the story, NEVER EVER expect someone else or something else to assume your responsibility.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:12 AM
wjvins
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bobstreetbob
i love forum erotica.
Keep writing.:d:d
+1 hehehehe

Old 04-05-2009, 10:51 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by JaronB
+1 Our tanks are small enough it takes what maybe 30-60 secs to fill up and have no spill and positive control of the pump!! Lessons learned, but crappy!! Hope you got the bike all cleaned!!
+1 again, but even when all 15 pumps in the station are all on at once, it only takes another minute.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by krwould
hmmmm.. I never used the handle lock in all the years I have been ridin!! I always hold it and watch the tank fill...
+1, its the right way to do it with a bike, IMHO

Old 04-05-2009, 11:16 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
+1 neither do I and in 46 years of riding this would be the first idiot I have seen try it. Kind of explains why people don't do it now doesn't it???
Well at least you qualify to call the kettle black.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:56 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I watch while I'm filling and nothing else. The last time I trusted an automatic shut off I put the nozzle in my car and walked into the store expecting the thing to shut off by itself only to look back and see fuel gushing out all over the place. I guess that's why the sign reads "never leave pump unattended".

Old 04-05-2009, 07:43 PM
frankjake
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tom071200c
i have to agree that it was not a smart idea to set the pump lock on a motorcycle. i don't understand why the manager would have to buy your bike if it caught fire? isn't it posted not to leave the pump unattended?
I was kinda thinkin the same thing.

I'll tell you, in Oregon you are not allowed to pump you own gas, even your motorcycle. But every station I've ever been to will let you fill your own bike, but it's still against the law.

It's a real PITA having this law (talking about a car now). You pull up and if there is anyone else already getting gas, you usually have to wait until the attendant is finished with that car before they will come over and help you. now days, most stations only have 1 or 2 attendants (usualy 1 per island) but if they get more than 1 car, they panic and dont' know what to do. It's the most stupid law I've ever seen. Well until I seen this post.

So don't do too much complaining, your state just make do like ours did and say "people aren't smart enough to pump their own gas" and then you a new law..... And that's honestly the reason you can't pump your own gas in Oregon. It's NOT to keep people employed like some people think.

Oregon is a little backwards in some respects.

Last edited by frankjake; 04-05-2009 at 07:46 PM.

Quick Reply: NEVER Trust a Gas Pump!