General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEVER Trust a Gas Pump!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 08:37 PM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same thing happen to me once 'cept I did'nt have the handle locked. I was holding it in my hand and looking the other way. I turned around and there was a gasoline pond under my bike. Tank and engine soaked. Like you all I could envision was it going up in flames. Had to sit untill it all evaporated. Then off to the nearest carwash. Lesson learned for me was..never stare at women going into the store while pumping without also watching nozzle.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:38 PM
ko4qc
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Locking the fuel nozzle while filling the tank on a motorcycle is just asking for trouble...no one I know would be that STUPID....maybe you need to play the lottery tonight....

Old 04-04-2009, 08:39 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by krwould
come to think of it..... I don't know anyone who locks the handle fillin a bike with a hot engine!!! Hmmmmm!!
+1. I have found the lock latches broken and I have to use my fingers to hold the latch up because the other hand is holding the vapor recovery up.
FWIW Your bike wont go up in flames from just a hot engine, doesnt create enough heat to meet the flash point ignition temp of gasoline.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Costnsg
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I overfilled mine a week ago with a slightly different twist. My tank supposedly holds 5.1 gal and when my gauge shows 1/4 tank it usually holds about 3.2 gal (not too accurate, I know). I didn't lock the nozzle, but for some stupid reason I was holding it while looking at the pump and, I suppose, waiting for the nozzle to click off. I remember looking at the pump and thinking "I'm surprised it's going past 3.2 gal" and looked around to see it overflowing. After a few choice words I pushed the bike forward away from the wet concrete and waited a couple minutes for it to dry before starting. I was think about how much gas vapor was still probably present and here I was straddling the bike pushing the start button.

I know it was stupid. From now on I watch the tank, not the pump (or the girls or whatever).

Old 04-04-2009, 08:51 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts

We're talking about Harleys here, not Kenworths!!!!! Why anyone would use a nozzle latch when pumping gas into a motorcycle escapes me.
I watch every drop I pump in mine...at slow speed....and always have. If you don't maintain full control of the fuel flow, you are asking for trouble.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:59 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Been riding 40 years and never trusted the shut off on my Bike .. was fortunate to see it happen to my Dad's 1950 Indian Chief back in 1965 .. Never trusted one since on the Bike.. On the car or truck thats different but still never get too far away from it ...

Old 04-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Haywired
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've pumped a lot of gas and saw a lot of nozzles fail to shut off when set on the first click, just not enough moving there to cause the reaction needed to shut down. I would never hang a nozzle in a tank for fear of warping the tank cover or scratching the tank when the shut off happens. I watch the level in the tank and if I have a ways to go I watch the meter on the pump to get the first few gallons in before watching the actual level.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:43 PM
tom071200c
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have to agree that it was not a smart idea to set the pump lock on a motorcycle. i don't understand why the manager would have to buy your bike if it caught fire? isn't it posted not to leave the pump unattended?

Old 04-04-2009, 09:51 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto, never use the lock and keep eyes on the tank.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:52 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Overflowed mine yesterday pretty bad. Only I was checking out the 20-something going into the gas station wearing daisy dukes and a low cut top. I was going to go complain to her, but figured what the heck...

Quick Reply: NEVER Trust a Gas Pump!