Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying out of state?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Slammed Rod
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying out of state?

What do you have to do when you get it home?I can get one out of state cheaper,but am I going to get nailed trying to reg it here?I can get it in AZ and reg it there.Any problem with riding most the year in IL?I've never bought out of state so I'm not sure what to do.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Yonaton
Not Smart Enough To Be A Member of HDF

I live in TN, but bought mine in Louisiana. The cost of tagging and all the other dumba$$ crap a state/county has you pay when you get a vehicle, was in the price of my financing, so all I had to do was wait for the paperwork to get to the DMV in my county and then I just went and signed some papers, got my tags and that was it.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:36 AM
dynhd1
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you buy out of state the dealer should give you a "Temp" plate and you will have 30 days to get it registered , go to a AAA office but be prepared to pay for plates,registration fees, AND the tax due to the state that you are living in. A little note I had the dealer reflect my trade in ( Down payment ) as a "discounted price" reducing the total amount that my state sales tax was,,, saving about 450 dollars.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:39 AM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought my bike from PA and had it registered in CA. Seller mailed me the pink slip + bill of sale which I took to my local DMV with the bike for inspection (check VIN on frame and cases, emissions stickers). Then pay for sales tax, license plates and tags. Good point raised by dynhd1 above to save a bit on sales tax

Last edited by kromdom; 04-04-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:42 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Best to contact the DMV office in the state your going to register it in.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Tripped1
Tourer

I bought my bike out of state. They gave me the MSO for it, I hauled it to the DMV had a title made and they gave me 14 days to get it inspected.

Oh yeah and $800 bucks in taxes and registration fees

Old 04-04-2009, 11:26 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME
Best to contact the DMV office in the state your going to register it in.
+1. In CA you cant bring in any vehicle unless it has at least 7500 miles AT the time the transaction was made. In other words you cant buy one, drive it home and accumulate miles (as per vehicle code) I had a dealer willing to work around this, but didnt want to ride from the east coast in middle of Feb. Check your local laws.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:35 AM
AR-15 DEUCE
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my bike and new car in AZ..did a out of stste transfer{folks live in OR} so I was not charged sales tax,saved 6k on car,and 1200 on bike,also reg was 142 for two years on car 9 for bike for 3 yrs...rode my bike down there for 5 yrs with OR plates..no problem..Iam in OR now so went legit

Last edited by AR-15 DEUCE; 04-04-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:15 PM
DDuess
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know from experience that some states allow a totaled bike to be rebuilt and issued a "clean" title. That is fine until you take it to a non-reciprocal state (most other states as far as I can tell) and register it, they will inform you of the "brand" on the title and you now have a bike with a branded title. At that point you are SOL as the title is legit, but only in that state, and you have no recourse (Minnesota is the selling state in my case). After I got my Deuce to Washington state it is essentially worthless, as it is nearly impossible to sell for a legitimate price, and virtually no dealer will take it in trade or even on consignment. The usual reason is, no bank will finance a bike with a branded title (my penalty for paying for vice financing the bike). Check the title, I found the history on my bike at carfax.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:25 PM
BK Meyers
Cruiser
Default Dmv

You need to check with your DMV office to see what is required. I'm from Kentucky and have purchased both of my bikes from out of state, one from Florida and the other from Indiana.

Find out what paperwork your DMV requires for the seller to sign. Also find out if the state you are buying from is a "reciprocating" state (if you pay the sales tax in the state you are buying in does your state honor that tax payment??). Also you may be required to have the vehicle inspected (Ky. requires this).

Save yourself an a**load of headache and don't buy anything until you check with your DMV and see what is required.

BK

Quick Reply: Buying out of state?