General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relationship with Buell?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 07:49 AM
Tripped1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
The problem with Buell has always been their bikes never went anywhere and they were so radical the general public never cared for them. Their racing bikes never really won anything and as it is, their new 1125R is stuffed in with a middleweight class because there is no way it could compete with the likes of the Gixer 1000, R1 or ZX-10. I will howevr say the bike is a great ride if you like the V-twin. You could have had an RC51 for less though.

Well in DMG/AMA the 1125 qualifies all three classes, which of course is crap because it makes more torque at 3200RPM then the stockers make at 14,000.....Its also in Superbike with the 1000s (where it usually gets wrecked, but so does basically any bike not a suzuki).

In WERA and CCS (I think)it falls into Heavy weight twin where it does pretty well again the aging Aprillas and modded SVs. Its coming along, without factory support riders are putting up times comparable with the Ducati 1098R and 1198, but no one is saying that it's really a match bike for bike yet.

The Helicon is a momentous step forward however. I demo'd one and its very much a real performance twin. The bike is light and agile, and while its looks funky, I thought they were pretty cool. I've been pulling for Eric Buell for a while. This go round I passed on the 1125 because of the dealers. But everytime the subject of getting a new bike comes up I check on the Buells..

As far as modern race bikes you basically have three choices in twins right now. The 1125R (which by buell's own admission is a street bike first, but trackable) and the Ducati 848/1098R/1198. Aprilla new RSV is a V-4 and tearing it up in World Super Bike. Its only being reliably beaten by Ben Spies with his new R1 (big bang) and the Ducati factory 1098R (which is actually 1198cc)

The RC51 had no further developement after 04 (I think it was) The Aprilla RSV Millie also is a bit long in the tooth being a early 2000 design and down on power and displacement.

All in all RC51 vs 1125R I think It would come down to the rider. The 1125 is something like 60lbs lighter(dry) and makes right around the same power as Honda's twin.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:54 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
The problem with Buell has always been their bikes never went anywhere and they were so radical the general public never cared for them. Their racing bikes never really won anything and as it is, their new 1125R is stuffed in with a middleweight class because there is no way it could compete with the likes of the Gixer 1000, R1 or ZX-10. I will howevr say the bike is a great ride if you like the V-twin. You could have had an RC51 for less though.
Exactly! Buell's bikes are different for the sake of being different. You either love 'em or hate 'em. And his sport bikes get lukewarm reviews from the MC media, though he gets praise for innovation. The problem is his innovation doesn't always increase performance.

I have a friend who has a Uly and loves it. Seems like a fun bike.

I've wondered what Buell could do if he wasn't married to HD these days.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Tripped1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by faber
Exactly! Buell's bikes are different for the sake of being different. You either love 'em or hate 'em. And his sport bikes get lukewarm reviews from the MC media, though he gets praise for innovation. The problem is his innovation doesn't always increase performance.

I have a friend who has a Uly and loves it. Seems like a fun bike.

I've wondered what Buell could do if he wasn't married to HD these days.

He is getting away from them now.

The XBs are still the Sportster derived air-cooled twins. The new 1125 Helicon was designed between Buell and Rotax. Rotax has been a major player in the performance twin segment for a while.

Previously, Buells got pounded because when you are looking at a sportbike and see a 168RWHP stock GSXR or ZX-10 for a little over 9,000 bucks then look at an XB12 (at the time mind you) for almost $12,000 with a crank rated 90hp which way are you going to go? If you are buy the bike for performance it made for a poor comparison.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:01 PM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Eric Buell was an engineer for HD. He tried to talk them into building a sport bike. They didn't so 26 years ago he started his own company. The bikes used highly modified sportster motors. The brand became so popular that HD bought it out.

And Eric made a good chunk-o-change I bet?