General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My pipes aren't loud enough

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009 | 10:48 AM
tx-skydiver
|
Road Warrior
Default My pipes aren't loud enough

I've got my "new" 08 Ultra Classic. It came with Screamin Eagle pipes with downturns on the ends. I like them fo rthe most part because they are louder than stock but I want some louder pipes. I don't want to be necessarily obnoxious...but I want to be certain that other drivers know I'm there.

My current pipes are louder than stock but only have a very deep rumble. My buddy's new Rocker C came with upgraded pipes that really pop when you throttle it. I'd like a sound closer to that.

I don't know the right questions to ask or what "model" Screamin Eagles I have on currently so I can't really compare.

Old 04-03-2009 | 10:59 AM
Coloradodude
Cruiser

I had Sampson Rolled Thunder on my Electra Glide and they were really loud. Just a little too loud for me. I now have some from Cycle shack and they are a little quieter.

Old 04-03-2009 | 11:41 AM
tx-skydiver
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Coloradodude
I had Sampson Rolled Thunder on my Electra Glide and they were really loud. Just a little too loud for me. I now have some from Cycle shack and they are a little quieter.
Are your old ones for sale?

Old 04-03-2009 | 11:45 AM
Coloradodude
Cruiser

No, sorry, I always keep all of my take-off parts just in case I might need them. Sometimes my wife says that I still have everything I have ever owned. Ha, ha,

Old 04-03-2009 | 11:48 AM
Grammaton
Road Master

Originally Posted by Coloradodude
No, sorry, I always keep all of my take-off parts just in case I might need them. Sometimes my wife says that I still have everything I have ever owned. Ha, ha,
I'm the same way. I never need anything until the day after I get rid of it.

Old 04-03-2009 | 11:54 AM
Juve996
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Grammaton
I'm the same way. I never need anything until the day after I get rid of it.
Been there, done that..

Old 04-03-2009 | 12:00 PM
Softtail Deluxe
Road Captain

Originally Posted by tx-skydiver
I don't want to be necessarily obnoxious...but I want to be certain that other drivers know I'm there.
JMHO I don't think it matters too much how load your pipes are , so cagers can hear you . Let me explain . I was drivin my wifes 05 Jeep Liberty in town one day . And I was needing to pass some pokie in front of me . I checked my mirrors and saw a really nice custom chopper coming around me . As it passed , I noticed it had a Revtech twin . Custom downturned pipes and all . Should have been at least a 124 engine . what got me the most was , I didn't hear a thing . Radio was off in the cage , and the windows were up . Most newer vehicles are so sealed up , that outside noice can't be easily heard . .............So make that bike as loud as you want ! ! ! ....................I don't know why people bi**h anymore about noice . ....kev

Old 04-03-2009 | 12:09 PM
H20DOG
Outstanding HDF Member

My pipes aren't loud enough
I've got my "new" 08 Ultra Classic. It came with Screamin Eagle pipes with downturns on the ends. I like them fo rthe most part because they are louder than stock but I want some louder pipes. I don't want to be necessarily obnoxious...but I want to be certain that other drivers know I'm there.

People still believe that Loud Pipes saves lives. If this were the case then Gold Wing Riders would be dropping like flys.

Keep the pipes that you have on, and just watch out for the cages.

Old 04-03-2009 | 12:13 PM
fotoflojoe
Tourer

I had an '06 Road King with Samson Rolled Thunders, they were ok. Last summer, I sold the RK and got an '08 Ultra. I've put Rineharts on the Ultra, it seems plenty louder than the Samsons were - I like the Rinehart's tone more.

Rineharts are nice and manageable too; You can keep 'em quiet while just putting around, but when you get on the throttle, they have a pretty loud bark.

Both bikes also had SE air filters and PCIIIs.

Old 04-03-2009 | 12:59 PM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member

Take the baffles out.

Quick Reply: My pipes aren't loud enough