General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My pipes aren't loud enough

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009 | 01:10 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member

Switch the baffles to Big city thunder baffles. You'll love them.

Old 04-05-2009 | 08:23 AM
tx-skydiver
|
Road Warrior

I went to the dealer and had them start up several bikes with different pipes. I compares D&D, Vance&Hines, Reinhart, and Thunders.

I liked the Resinharts and the Thunders. The thunders were butt-ugly, but I liked the sound of them the best. Bought them. I went out to parking lot and installed them immediately.

They sound AWESOME!!! Love every minute of them. I don't know if I'll ever turn my radio on again.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Last edited by tx-skydiver; 04-06-2009 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-05-2009 | 12:07 PM
GROWLNTA
Cruiser

V&H Big Radius are loud pipes... dunno if they make them for your bike

Old 04-05-2009 | 01:25 PM
hoglaw
Intermediate

That "Loud pipes save lives" BS should have died long ago. I've seen police training films where motorists don't hear a siren until it is almost on top of them. Sirens are a hell of a lot louder than pipes. The kid who is going to hit you has the stereo cranked up so loud his liver is vibrating. You think he'll hear your pipes?

Changing pipes, or altering stock pipes remains a way of life for Harley riders. I've done my share. These days, though, you need to be careful and study before you do it. Everything is computerized. Manufacturers spend hundreds of thousands of dollars getting their bikes to run properly. Along comes some slug with a crescent wrench and new $300 pipes who can do better? I doubt it.

New pipes screaming "horsepower" will sound good, but probably rob you of power. You need to compare performance figures or you may just be wasting gas and speed for loudness.

Old 04-06-2009 | 09:53 AM
tx-skydiver
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hoglaw
That "Loud pipes save lives" BS should have died long ago. I've seen police training films where motorists don't hear a siren until it is almost on top of them. Sirens are a hell of a lot louder than pipes. The kid who is going to hit you has the stereo cranked up so loud his liver is vibrating. You think he'll hear your pipes?

Changing pipes, or altering stock pipes remains a way of life for Harley riders. I've done my share. These days, though, you need to be careful and study before you do it. Everything is computerized. Manufacturers spend hundreds of thousands of dollars getting their bikes to run properly. Along comes some slug with a crescent wrench and new $300 pipes who can do better? I doubt it.

New pipes screaming "horsepower" will sound good, but probably rob you of power. You need to compare performance figures or you may just be wasting gas and speed for loudness.

I can partially agree with you on this...but I do think that many folks actually WILL hear a bike screaming near them. I know I do when I am in my car. If I hear it, I will generally stay my course (no lane changes) until I can visually find the bike...then make my desired changes. I also look fo the bike so I can see what it is and drool.

Anyway - my point is that every little bit helps. If only one car in the pack hears me, then that is one less car likely to run me over.

Old 04-06-2009 | 11:02 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

I don't agree. People do hear you sometimes, because I hear other bikes sometimes when I am in one of my vehicles. It does make me look for them when I hear them so it might make a difference but that is not the only defensive method I use when riding obliviously. Loud pipes saving life's isn't the issue anyway. It is about tolerance and identification , along with jealousy. We as motorcyclist are easily identified by what we ride--two wheels for the most part. A lot of people are jealous of the freedom and fear the lack of conformity. To make matters worse we as a group have some riders that are drivers riding motorcycles. They have a four wheelers attitude and just ride on two wheels. They don't know or remember when bikers were treated badly and looked on with disgust or fear. The ultimate posers. I am lucky to live in a place where motorcycles are everywhere. Translates into buying power and votes. Enough soap box--to get back to the Screaming eagles--I removed the baffles from mine on my wideglide and drilled out the holes to a larger diameter. It added some volume and deepened the tone. They are not as loud as my V&H's on the heritage but still they sound good. OP,glad you are satisfied with the pipes you changed to.

Old 04-06-2009 | 12:12 PM
tx-skydiver
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by oldairboater
I don't agree. People do hear you sometimes, because I hear other bikes sometimes when I am in one of my vehicles. It does make me look for them when I hear them so it might make a difference but that is not the only defensive method I use when riding obliviously. Loud pipes saving life's isn't the issue anyway. It is about tolerance and identification , along with jealousy. We as motorcyclist are easily identified by what we ride--two wheels for the most part. A lot of people are jealous of the freedom and fear the lack of conformity. To make matters worse we as a group have some riders that are drivers riding motorcycles. They have a four wheelers attitude and just ride on two wheels. They don't know or remember when bikers were treated badly and looked on with disgust or fear. The ultimate posers. I am lucky to live in a place where motorcycles are everywhere. Translates into buying power and votes. Enough soap box--to get back to the Screaming eagles--I removed the baffles from mine on my wideglide and drilled out the holes to a larger diameter. It added some volume and deepened the tone. They are not as loud as my V&H's on the heritage but still they sound good. OP,glad you are satisfied with the pipes you changed to.

Yes - I am very satisfied. I've been ridign with them all weekend and won't turn on the radio because I will miss the sweet harmony from the pipes. Sappy but true.

Old 04-06-2009 | 02:03 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member

I had some Samson rolled Thunders and I was not satisfied with the sound. I sold them and got some Thunderheaders and haven't stopped smiling. There are ways to get around the THs looks, but I am not sharing my secrets!

Old 04-06-2009 | 02:21 PM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man

Try making those turn-downs into turn-outs. Maybe a little louder that way. I think you just turn the end caps a little and refasten.

Old 04-06-2009 | 03:45 PM
tx-skydiver
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Manish_Hawg
I had some Samson rolled Thunders and I was not satisfied with the sound. I sold them and got some Thunderheaders and haven't stopped smiling. There are ways to get around the THs looks, but I am not sharing my secrets!

Those are actually the ones I have (Thunderheaders) as I am looking at my receipt. They are certainly dog-crap ugly.

You can always feel free to PM me your secret on that one. I won't tell anyone. Shhhhhh.