General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wosre spousal reaction to new bike????

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 06:34 PM
RiggidyRaw
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wosre spousal reaction to new bike????

The bike wasn't your problem. It was just an excuse to vent out some prior/other frustrations.

Old 05-02-2006, 06:35 PM
RiggidyRaw
Tourer

The bike wasn't your problem. It was just an excuse to vent out some prior/other frustrations.
ORIGINAL: jlyoung

Funny you should ask that question. I bought a new FatBoy last May and my wife wouldn't even give me a ride to the dealership so I could pick it up. It was all downhill from that point. I'd had the bike for about 2 weeks and she decided that I didn't need it and said I should just give it back. I said, yeah right. I'm sure they'd take it back and give me my money back. Well here we are almost a year later and I don't have that wife anymore, I still have my FatBoy, and I have a girlfriend that has her own bike and is a lot more friendly.

Old 05-02-2006, 06:58 PM
ctimm64
Intermediate

WOW, What a great lot of reactions!!!!, as far as i'm concerned, and also being the primary breadwinner (2 jobs) , the sale of the bike is no longer negotiable! any more crap about it then she will be offered her freedom from my tyranny. I took a loan from my 401K to buy it, the money goes back into my account with interesst and in the end its like i get it for free plus intersest.
My family(and in-laws) basically told her to back off and that i deserve it, she also has a 25G kitchen comming to her and has no right to object to my used $4800. sporty.

You guys are all correct, i'm keeping my bike and not taking any more crap about it !!! [8D]

Old 05-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Hardley riding
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold my first bike (I had it when we got married) for a down payment on a house. It took almost 13 years but I got another one this year. It took buying my wife a new car and uping my life insurance to a ridiculous amount, but I made sure she said yes before I bought. Now everytime I ride it goes into a mental bank and she brings it up if she wants something. I must really want to ride and really love my wife to put up with it.

Also, "Liberals and dependency on Foreign oil"??????????????

Read a book instead of listening to the idiots on Fox!

Old 05-02-2006, 08:12 PM
TBone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My wife is from Switzerland and is very frugal with our money. I decided I wanted a Harley but all she kept saying is buy a used Yamaha. Forgive me but I did... Anyways, she went home to visit her parents and while she was gone, I sold the bike and bought my RKC. I was expecting a fight but when she got home, she loved it. So, there is a happy ending to every story.

Old 05-03-2006, 12:12 AM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I've been waiting for this subject. I don't know who has the stronger feelings. My love/desire/need to ride, or my wife's despise of dangerous, money wasting motorcycling.

Mine only cost me as much for her as I spent. Not really, almost divorce also, though it was after the divorce talk that I told her I was going to do it for my sanity. Still not cool. Never will be. I'm cool, AND a proud Harley rider.

Old 05-03-2006, 12:15 AM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had bikes for many years, so any woman in my life had to accept it as part of me. My wife loves my 'Glide and is looking forward to getting her own bike. As to the Liberal/Oil debate, there was an article some time ago that pointed out that it is not a lack of crude, but a lack of production capacity that is driving the cost of gas up. Seems that 10 years ago there were around 300 refineries available to produce gas. Now there is less than 75. Now don't beat me up on the numbers, as it was some time ago I read the article, but the gist of it was that it cost an oil company billions of dollars and years to build a refinery and with all the anticipated lawsuits that the environmentalists are going to bring against the oil company, it would be years before they would see any production from the facility. Therefore, they had better have a fully stocked warchest before they embark on such an endeavor. I remember the last time CP&L built a Nuclear Plant, it was nearly 7 years after it was completed before they could put it online. If any of you have owned a business, then you would understand the implications of making such a huge capital outlay, only to have the money tied up for years before you could realize a return. Just my .02$ worth....

Old 05-03-2006, 01:48 AM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

My wife didn't want me to get a bike. After many years, I found out that the Dealer didn't require the wifes permission. So instead of her new room on the back of the house, I used the money ,which I had saved, and bought my bike. I told her when she saves the money I will build her the room, that we need like a hole in the head. Sorry to sound like a ***** but I was 57 years old and figured it was my last chance to have my dream come true. She hasn't said anything negative and actually encourages me to enjoy my rides. Probably has a big insurance policy on me hidden away somewhere.

Old 05-03-2006, 08:29 AM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The reason I was able to get the bike I got was because the owner was getting married and his fiance TOLD him that he wasn't going to ride anymore and to get rid of the bike. After I gave him the check for the bike, I told him, man you got rid of the wrong thing. He got married in February and I heard he's already wanting another bike.

Old 05-03-2006, 09:41 AM
Jules
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

When I married my Ex I already had my Sportster, Aprilia, and Suzuki dirt bike. I paid off the bikes with the money from my Iraq deployment, but we didn't really have a lot of money coming in. I gave her my truck and picked up a beater car to go to work in for $400. When the Aprilia went down and the price to fix it was about a grand, she said as soon as the bike is fixed I need to sell it, we can't afford to keep all this stuff. It sat in the garage for a while and then the car blew while she was home on vacation and I was at Ft. Leonardwood for 2 weeks for school. I called her and told her I was going to junk the car and pick up a truck I found, a 91 Ranger for $600. She said don't buy the truck, just wait until she gets home and 'we' (Mind you, no kids and she didn't work) would buy a brand new Aztec for her and I could have my old truck back. I said ok hun, whatever you say and bought the Ranger. A few months later she got on me about the Suzuki when I rebuilt the motor and changed the clutch, chain, sprokets, and tires one week, said I needed to get the Aprilia gone (it's still broke down in the garage) and get rid of the POS dirt bike that only costs us money, because her truck had rolled over 100K and it was time for a new truck for her. She still didn't work, and my Ranger was pushing the 200K mark at this time. About mid summer the next year I finally brought the Aprillia in to get fixed. Got the bike home and she was pretty happy and asked how much I thought I could sell it for. After she realized that I still wasn't selling she said it's either the bike or her, I can keep the Harley but the Aprilia and dirt bike had to go. About a month later I pulled in the driveway with my brand new Suzuki GSX-R 600 in the back of the truck and divorce papers in hand. She started to fight the divorce because the papers said I got everything but the truck untill I pointed out that she has never worked the whole year and a half of marriage, came here with nothing, and was leaving with my truck. She ended up signing the papers and got everything finallized last November.

Sorry about the rant, didn't mean for it to be that long

Quick Reply: Wosre spousal reaction to new bike????