General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sturgis Tent Camping?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.katmanducampground.com/

We like it here.
2 miles from downtown, super easy access to I 90, you can north to Sturgis, or just stay on I90 and roll on by, miss all the traffic.
You can go south on I90 to Rapid, etc.
They have the cleanest showers in a rally campground I have ever seen. And NEVER run outta HOT water. They have a beer garden (we don't drink) BUT we have never had a noise prob, but ppl party thru the night, respectfully.
They also have a food shack, usually she will have 'home cooked' grub.
IF you feel adventurous, and CONFIDENT, there is a real nice shortcut to the East side of Sturgis, avoiding the Crawlway out there from Downtown.
They also run a shuttle bus to Downtown, and then will haul your drunk, broke butt, back, for FREE.

There are NOT a lot of trees here. But the hills acrossed the interstate will block out the sun til you are up and functioning. And the hills behind you, will put your tent in the shade, early evening.
First come, first served on camp sites, and when you pull in, whatever you brought in, stays at your campsite.

IF you are a 'regular' party animal, then do Glencoe. As posted, get's a bit 'racey' there, BUT way FUN!!!
IF you pack, can take on 2 drunk wimmin fightin', and still kick start your scoot with someone shootin' at ya, then Buffalo Chip is your kinda place.

Another recommendation, think about staying in the northern part for half or so, of your time. And then, amble down to the South, by Hill City, Custer, and run out of that area the rest of the time. Or vice versa. That works best if you are 'solo' camping, right off your scoot. Some of the 'day rides' can get L-O-N-G if you have to drive south, and then back north at night.

Oh, BTW, born and raised SoDak. First Sturgis, '72. We still 'camp' out there, even tho I have friends and relatives out there. We do Sturgis, to visit with the ppl we have met over the years. And hopefully, afford to take in a race or two. IF I want to 'ride the Hills', we go out in early June, or Sept......................................we have friends and relatives, out there.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:07 AM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mackcr
I have stayed at No-Name campground; great place with clean showers. Three miles from downtown which they run a shuttle to every hour.

Yep, No Name City for the past three years and this year also... Clean showers, Pool, Hot Tub, 24hr cafe / snackbar.... Quiet enough to sleep...