General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biker Dies, I am lacking sympathy in this case...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 07:17 AM
The Architect
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JB
Ive got to say I don't know how you think these two are related in any way. Ive been riding for just short of 40 yrs. and not once have I ever heard of an accident being caused by not wearing a helmet. Not wearing a helmet is a personal choice I made over 30 yrs. ago knowing full well that wearing one might or might not make a difference in a accident. Like I said before Ive never heard a news report stating not wearing a helmet caused an accident but how many times have we heard about some idiot out stunting on a public street and taking out some innocent bystanders or for that matter somebody on a Sport bike making a 130+ mph run and taking out a car full of people. Am I against Sport bike, not at all it just amazes me to watch the people that can really ride them and what they can do but not on the street, I wish I had that kind of talent. I feel sorry for the kids family but not for him. If you want to ride like that keep it the hell of the street and do some place were you are the only one that is going to get hurt. Ive got to ask all those feeling sorry for this guy would you be so sympathetic if this was a car accident and drunk driver with multiple DUI's or would you be more tempted to be saying at lest he just killed his self and didn't take some one else with him. Like I said Ive been riding a long time and if this kid is doing 200 foot wheel stands then this ain't his first time and I'm willing to lay odds its pretty obvious to everyone he's been doing it on the street were he could have killed any body.
Reading comprehension, my friend, reading comprehension. Nobody has said, and likely never will, that the wearing of a helmet was a contributing factor in a motorcycle accident. More so about noting your prejudices, and possible hatred for sportbikes and the guys on top of them, for a certain individual/s.Note that when I say you, I am not referrring to this poster specifically.

Last edited by The Architect; 04-02-2009 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:24 AM
H20DOG
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by deadman77
Any death is a sad thing. No reason to be dis-respectful.

MikeM
Wonderfully put. The child is dead.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:36 AM
David The Hutt
Tourer

Originally Posted by kickstart pan
He died doing what he loved to do
my point in this is that, although i am not laughing, nor cheering his death, i simply said that i am sick of careless drivers/riders (in cars or on bikes) that put the public welfare at risk.

a 200' wheelie on a public street puts everyone in danger. if what you "love to do" is getting drunk and/or driving like a lunatic on the busiest highway in the county, do NOT expect me to have sympathy for the inevitable outcome.

if what you "love to do" (and at 19, you are not a child, you know right from wrong) is yelling fire in a crowded theater and you get trampled, i can not feel bad for you. in fact, we can be glad that he was the only victim in this case.

us hwy 19, is not a back road. its the main arterythrough 5 counties in florida. thank god it was only himself who he killed. it could have been someone YOU love.

Last edited by David The Hutt; 04-02-2009 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:41 AM
David The Hutt
Tourer

someone please lock this thread or tell me how to delete it before this turns into an internet war. i was making a point about public safety and pointing out an example of blatant disregard...not looking to disrupt the entire forum community

Old 04-02-2009, 07:42 AM
Silverstone
Tourer

Originally Posted by David The Hutt
i hear what you are saying. i am not suggesting that we all cheer for the death... but there is a thing called "personal responsibility", and "consequences for your actions"
Very true,but it's still a shame he never got chance to learn from his mistake.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:09 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Wheelies don't kill people, people kill people.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:22 AM
H20DOG
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by David The Hutt
someone please lock this thread or tell me how to delete it before this turns into an internet war. i was making a point about public safety and pointing out an example of blatant disregard...not looking to disrupt the entire forum community

If you were trying to make a point in regard to public safety then say so. I believe that the issue is from your saying you lack sympathy. I think that everyone agrees that the Wheelie thing was stupid. The fact that you seem to be callus to the fact that someone died.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:28 AM
David The Hutt
Tourer

Originally Posted by H20DOG

If you were trying to make a point in regard to public safety then say so. I believe that the issue is from your saying you lack sympathy. I think that everyone agrees that the Wheelie thing was stupid. The fact that you seem to be callus to the fact that someone died.
that is a fair statement. i wouldnt say that i am callous to a death, but then again, perhaps i am just jaded as i get older.

there is a thing called the "darwin awards". the premise is that people do dumb things that get themselves killed and therefore, cannot breed which may be good for society. is it callous? perhaps.

your point is fair. i stand by my feelings. at this point, the thread is counter productive, and for the health and enjoyment of the community, i suggest we lock it, and go on to other areas that we might agree or enjoy

Old 04-02-2009, 09:04 AM
Jordy806
Cruiser

I wasjust down in the St Pete area a few weeks ago on vacation,nice area. Too bad about the kid...we have all done dumb stunts at one time or another.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:16 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JW1200
He had probley done that wheely 100 times before. You just never know. I think it sucks.
True true...'member Indian Larry. He did that trick probably thousands of times and look what happens to him.

Quick Reply: Biker Dies, I am lacking sympathy in this case...