General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas seems great to ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 11:33 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up Texas seems great to ride

This week I had business in Houston and had to go to San Antonio. The drive from on I-10 left me wishing I was on my bike. Great food, scenery and your rest stops are emaculate. Roads good. I hope I have time off work to realy get a chance to check out your state.

Where else are do you locals ride for leisure.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:37 PM
Skidrow
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John, I can't even tell you how much fun it is to ride over there. I miss the hill country and the rest of the state a lot. West Texas is cool to ride too with all the history and ghost towns etc. You can imagine with a state that size the possibilities are endless. You'll even see pine trees if you head towards the north east part of the state. You should try it sometime.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:37 AM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,397 Likes on 960 Posts
Thumbs up

The farther you get away from the Interstate highway the better it gets. The Farm to Market roads are the best. No cagers on your a$$. Ride as slow or as fast as you want. Mostly rural countryside. See the real Texas. Most all FMs are in good condition. If you ever get the time and opportunity to ride Texas try it you will love it. Its all good. I am a little biased though.Native Texan. I Love My State.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:49 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The back roads, farm to markets and old state highways are the best. Good food, good people for the most part, and some unique places. Been to other places that were just as beautiful but they weren't Texas. The state has everything from coast to desert. Mountains to plains. Weather can cover all three seasons in one day----summer, winter and monsoon.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Cajun King
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We are leaving south Louisiana to ride Texas hill country on the 15th. We plan to spend 4 or 5 days starting in Austin and ending the trip at Lukenbach on Sunday afternoon. We will spend Sunday night at the YO Ranch and start heading back. I can't wait.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:07 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You coming back for ROT in Austin in June? If not then you need to ride along the Blanco river to Luckenbach. Watch for critters after dark.
Originally Posted by Cajun King
We are leaving south Louisiana to ride Texas hill country on the 15th. We plan to spend 4 or 5 days starting in Austin and ending the trip at Lukenbach on Sunday afternoon. We will spend Sunday night at the YO Ranch and start heading back. I can't wait.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Iron Dandee
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Austin should be a good ride, especially around the lakes.

As stated earlier, the more you venture out away from the major freeways, the better the ride gets. less car, better roads and nice sceneries.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:28 AM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

Being a native Texan I am a bit partial to my own back yard, and we do have an abundance of great places to ride...notibly the Hill Country around Fredericksburg...anyone headed there HAS to ride the Willow Loop,
but I also LOVE to ride in Tennessee.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:07 PM
aginhouse
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are right on! The Hill Country is the place to be. Its unfortunate I'm in North Texas and the quickest way to get there is down the Horrid I-35 straight boring two lane of death.

My girl and I try to get out of the city every chance we get! Texas has a little something for everyonel Its so spread out that there are great little towns everywhere and these V-twins are absolutely made for these Farm to Market back roads. We watch that show every weekend called the Texas Country Reporter and try to plan rides.

Anyone North of Dallas looking to ride some backroads.....shoot me a PM.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:33 PM
SciFiGuy
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajun King
You should check out the Twisted Sisters.
http://www.hillcountrycruising.com/the3s.html

I'm looking forward to the 17th when my local HOG chapter is taking off for Big Bend.

Last edited by SciFiGuy; 04-01-2009 at 06:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Texas seems great to ride