General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone on here from Macon county NC area?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009 | 07:00 PM
dogsong_1013
|
Intermediate
Question Anyone on here from Macon county NC area?

Hey out there in WNC, I'm new to the forums and have gotten some great welcomes in the new member area, but being somewhat new to the Harley Davidson experience altogether, I'd love to meet some good folks from here in the sticks that could clue me in on any local events, rides, clubs Etc. Any searching on the web has just turned out stuff for Asheville, and while I wish I had the time to take a 2 hour round trip cruise everyday, the boss and wife (not the same person although they sometimes each acts like they think they are the other) would probaby string me up.
Hanging out in Franklin, NC
Will

Old 03-31-2009 | 08:02 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member

I grew up on Rose Creek Road. I miss it sometimes but there sure is a big lack of opportunity to make a living, about the only way you could make it when I lived there is if your Grandfather started a business and your Daddy had sense enough to get along with him and then you had sense enough to get along with your Daddy, otherwise you could either Drive a truck or contract to the telephone company doing line splicing. Both traveling jobs. Of course the other alternative is to arrive there with money, but they never lasted past the first bad snow, We all lived down in the Valleys but they would come up from Florida mostly and build houses way up on the mountains, and along came that first bad snow and they would be snowed in for about a week and away they went back to Florida and the house would sit empty for about two years until another Floridian would come up and buy it and move in until the first snow of course and gone again. You may think I am Kidding but I have seen it happen literally hundreds of times.

I am sure a lot has changed ( have not been there for about ten years) since I was there last but I would be willing to bet people are still building cliffhangers that are only cool to live in in the summer when it is not raining alot. You can put all the gravel you want on that drive and the rain just keeps on washing it away. To funny.. Of course the Batemans and the Schuelers will keep on Hauling it out there every time they get called but they know what is going to happen to it. Sorry for the sidetrack, I just saw Macon county and boy it sure brought back some memories.

As far as riding I would say just head out and keep making rights or lefts all day Nothing but Beautiful country any way you go. Highlands road is always a good ride but you run the risk of getting behind a Motorhome and not a lot a places to pass, 28 north is good to but same worries, Burningtown road out by the airport is excellent, you can go out upper Burning town and cross over to lower Burningtown road and take that back to Lost bridge on 28 and you can either head back to town or run up Telico to Fontana Lake. Excellent ride. If you feel the need to cut up it is hard to beat Wide Horizon Drive that runs from 441 back over to 64 Lots of long sweeping curves and some tummy taking dips. You can really tote the mail through there. Sanderstown road is another good haul *** road, that runs along the Little Tennesee river between 28 and 64 east. and of course Rose Creek road is on your left before you cross the river on 28 north , take that left and an Immediate right on Rose Creek and that runs back to Lower Burningtown , turn right and back to Lost Bridge again. I could go on all day but as far as events, which was you question to begin with, I do not know so I guess I was not any help but thanks for letting me ramble.

I ride with The Fla Crew down here in Fla and there is a trip planned in early may with lots of good folks coming your way, They would love to meet up and ride some while they are there, Coming right through there . Here is a link,https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...etup-poll.html You will just have to skip to the end for Details about the trip.

Last edited by Just Dave; 03-31-2009 at 08:05 PM.