General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding on gravel and dirt roads.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 01:18 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

The road leads where it will be it blacktop , gravel or that freaking goat trail we thought was a shortcut to some mountain bar in Colorado one time . Spent a lot miles on non hardtop roadways on my shovel over the years that's usually where the most fun was .

Old 06-24-2011, 07:13 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont mind dirt roads at all. Some of the best country views are on them. Was riding the country in Ohio a while back and our paved road turned into a dirt road. Then it turned into 2 tire paths with grass and weeds in the middle. At that point, I started to worry a little but that only lasted for a mile or so then went back to all dirt then came on an intersection on a state highway. I thought that it was a pretty cool road.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:41 AM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member

Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

Around here, unpaved roads are sand. Good way to go down fast. I don't have knobby tires on my SB.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:29 AM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

gravel dirt or sand are just not fun on the ultra. too big, heavy and with short legs, don't have the stability.

gravel around chicago is not too bad, basically it is mostly the same size. you can manage that. now kentucky gravel, which varies greatly in its size, i find really difficult. arizona sand roads, forget it. like no control. the ultra is a road bike, period. taking it on dirt or sand is kinda like trailing on back roads with a lincoln continental.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:01 PM
vtwinhd59
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Guess I'm just the complete oposite than most of you guys. I ride gravel dirt roads all the time. Out in the middle of nowhere around Ohio and PA. Sometimes you can't avoid em. Or I've been lost and turned roads that turned out to be a 4 wheeler trail at best, with big rocks, wash outs, tree roots, and very steep inclines. I am acually really comfortable on the terrain. You just have to work the clutch and avoid the front brake like the plague. Also in loose gravel and dirt and where there is washouts, don't fight the bike let the front wheel sway with whatever direction the terrain wants. Sounds weird but makes the ride a lot easier. I don't care if a get a scratch and a little ding on the frame from some gravel. I bought my bike, an 800 plus pound street glide by the way, to ride it and that is what I'm going to do. I'm got some bad *** memories of places I've been not accessible from the paved way that I wouldn't trade away for anything.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:05 PM
chromedome09
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never give it a second thought. Lots of the runs I used to go to you had to do quite a few miles down crazy dirt /gravel roads/paths. When in doubt power it out.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:13 AM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Since I replied on this 2 years ago, I may as well again. For whatever reason, I've been riding a lot of gravel here lately. The roads are there, and I feel the need to ride them!

Old 07-09-2011, 09:28 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nskitts
Do you do it or do you turn around? I just bought a Harley and hate the thought of missing out on all those gravel roads I used to ride down but also hate the thought of cleaning and polishing all the chrome....
You can't ride your Harley because you're afraid of getting it dirty? In real life, I'd make fun of you until you got mad and left.

Here I just have the smilies.

At the state HOG rally last month, I met a guy from the same town as me, but I had never seen him around. He was telling me he saw me and my wife riding through the rain on the way there, while he was parked under cover waiting for it to go away. Then he started polishing his chrome. Turns out he had bought the bike new about 5 years ago and was averaging around 1,000 miles a year.

Last edited by brenn; 07-09-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:40 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well the only way to get to my Uncle's house is by gravel road so doesn't phase me. I don't look for them, but don't really give it a second thought if I end up one.