General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pullimng a tent camper behind an 88"

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 03:22 PM
kickstart pan
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 04-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd do it and wouldn't think twice about it. And to give you some background: I pull a homemade cargo trailer LOADED DOWN with camping gear thru Skyline Dr, Blueridge Parkway (from 1 end to the other) TWICE each year (going and coming). I go from NJ to AL and back. Been doing this for years. I've done US129 (and surrounding roads) fully loaded and pulling a trailer... several times all the while yellin at the slowpoke harley that I'm stuck behind! People ought to either learn how to ride or STAY OFF THE DRAGON! The bike will do it with no problem. In the mountains, you'll be downshifting much more than normal but that's about it. In fact, you'll catch yourself checking the mirrors and turning your head to see if the trailer is still there. About the only time you notice it is starting, stoping and gettin gas... (you're liable to forget it's there and hit the gas pump island with a wheel). BTW- check my sig and it's obvious what I'm pulling the trailer with...

Old 04-01-2009, 05:13 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

We pull a Bunkhouse camper without any problems with a stock '06 Ultra, riding two up.
Rolling weight is not the same as the weight of the camper. I can pick the tongue up with one finger and roll it around the garage.

Tongue weight is the most important thing....We run about 22 lbs of tongue weight and the stock shocks at 26 lbs. My lady weighs about 160, and I'm 185. Gas miliege at 55 mph pulling the camper equals driving the bike without it at 65...right around 42 mpg.

The camper has a king size bed, and also doubles as a garage for the Ultra. Nice to zip it in tight, and keep the dew off everything.

The big difference you will feel is the "push" when stopping. That's when the weight of the camper makes a difference. I miss the linked brakes I had on my '84 Venture.

Also, turning into a gas station often has a low ridge on the entrance. You have to hit it as square as possible, and not be going too slow when the camper wheels hit it.

Attached Thumbnails Pullimng a tent camper behind an 88"-duluth-vacation-001a.jpg   Pullimng a tent camper behind an 88"-duluth-vacation-007a.jpg  

Last edited by MNPGRider; 04-01-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:13 AM
hondaherb
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've pulled trailers with bikes ever since '82 when I built a small cargo trailer, but they were all behind the Goldwing. With the power of the Harleys now, I don't think you would have any problems. The only reason I haven't started pulling one with my Harley is they are still under warrenty and Harley will void it if they find a trailer hitch on your bike. The craziest thing I pulled was a jetski behind my Goldwing/sidecar (the bike had reverse) I could stop all traffic on the boat ramp when I backed down the ramp. Stopping and gas mileage are the only difference, but what is a little more gas compared to the price of motel rooms.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:10 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Thanks to all for the good advice. I think I'm going to try it.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:22 AM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

We pulled a Time Out behind two different 80" EVO baggers for quite a few years and probably 10k miles .. The camper was loaded down and so were the baggers ..

On the highway , never really knew it was behind me .. Low speed maneuvering is when you can tell it is there .. Just have to remember its there when you stop for fuel or pull in a parking space ..

It probably has the bearing buddies ( zerk fitting in the center of each hub , probly has a dust cover over it ) , if so , carry a small grease gun with you and check them at EVERY fuel stop .. I had one fitting that took a couple shots every fuel stop and the other one I doubt ever needed any grease .. I always kept them full of grease even if it was just a short shot to top it off ..

Also , be good to just get around your town and pull it by yourself to get the feel of having it behind you before you leave on the trip .. Smooth starts and stops are a good thing ..

We got 38-42 mpg on those EVO's , running 70-80 mph and I know we hadda be over GVWR , never missed a beat on either one ..

Old 04-05-2009, 09:14 AM
WireDawg
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some good MC/Trailer towing info here http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing/start