General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enrolled at MMI Phoenix, who's been there already?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 03:30 PM
frogg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hog-doc
You WILL NOT ride as much as you do now, you WILL NOT go to Sturgis or any other run during the summer, you will be working while everybody else is riding.

Above all if its what YOU want to do go for it. You wont get rich, but it can be a lot more fun than other jobs!
Life's short do what makes you happy.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:35 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

By the way as far as the number of people that everybody "knows" that went and are working in some other field, what kind of mechanical experience/background did they have before school? If your not a mechanic before MMI you wont magically be one after. The schools whole intention is to show proper proceedures and tool useage, not to turn anyone INTO a mechanic. That comes with natural ability and experience!

I have a friend who went from airline TO motorcycles, so it all depands on WHO you are!

Last edited by hog-doc; 03-31-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:23 PM
astrohell85
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can already work on almost anything, I try to fix or fabricate everything I possibly can. I plan on getting the most I can out of school to be a good technician, I want to learn and know everything possible. I just hope it doesn't take too long to show I'm a good worker and to start making decent wages. I'll be 30 next year and I hate to take a pay cut for a few years but if I'm gonna change careers I figure I'd better do it now.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:30 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Sounds like you are basically at the same place I was before I went, except that I had a part time shop in my garage. Strive for being the best in all your classes and work towards being top tech. At 35 I took an $8.50 an hour paycut, but like I said after five years Iam way over $20.00 and flat rate so if the work is there I can bill a ton of hours and make big checks. if you plan on living someplace like Ca, Az or Texas that has year round riding you can make even more, in Idaho we basically have a six month riding season so earning months are shorter, but this is where I choose to live. A friend of mine has a friend in Minnesota that makes over 100k a year so it can be done.

Good luck to ya!

Old 03-31-2009, 09:39 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

You WILL NOT ride as much as you do now, you WILL NOT go to Sturgis or any other run during the summer, you will be working while everybody else is riding.

I live within an easy one day drive to Sturgis. Many shops around here CLOSE during Sturgis week so their employees can go. If you wait until Sturgis week to service your bike, you deserve to stay home.....

Old 03-31-2009, 09:59 PM
astrohell85
Intermediate

Thanks hog-dog, your replies definitely help me out. Too many negative opinions along with being tired from work had me nice and confused, but I think I'll be happy with my decision. I'd like to hopefully live somewhere warm year-round which will keep me busy, I like to get as much done as possible at work so I'd like to be flat rate when I'm ready for it. I wish I was flat rate at my construction job, maybe a few of the guys would get a little smarter. I know there will be days I have to work instead of ride, but I'm sure I'll get time off to ride also on occasions. I'll be happy just being able to ride to work year round, winter sucks up north.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:18 AM
sdeck86
Advanced

Originally Posted by codyshop
Did you sign the dotted line yet? If not, give very serious reconsideration to doing so. It is way too much money to spend to end up sweeping dealership floors. Of the eight guys I personally know who went to either MMI or AMI, not one is still in the bike business but still owe on the student loan.
The eight guys you personally know are all dumb ****ers. And many students at MMI drop out. Those who respect the school and teachers are the ones who make it through. Don't talk about something until you know what you're talking about.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:36 AM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

Way to wake up a 7 year old post!!!

Old 03-03-2016, 05:13 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 897 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by sdeck86
The eight guys you personally know are all dumb ****ers.
What about folks that can't read the date of a thread?

Old 03-03-2016, 06:38 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 161 Posts

It would be interesting to find out how it all went 7 years later. Did he go to school?, is he in dept up to his eyeballs from it? does he still work on bikes?, 35 posts from 7 years ago and no followup.,,

Quick Reply: Enrolled at MMI Phoenix, who's been there already?