General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enrolled at MMI Phoenix, who's been there already?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 07:28 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
And influx of doctors who graduated from med schools in countries that barely have running water. Not knocking the trade but there's been a major shift in the quality of care and fraud with the influx of foreign doctors who are here for the money only. I know you've seen it first hand........
you've been to Camden Clark here too?

Old 03-08-2016, 10:11 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

As one of the original posters with actual experience to the question here's my 2 cents 7 years later...with 12 years in dealerships...I am still wrenching in the same shop, still the top producing mechanic out of 9, make 25.00 an hour flat rate, average around 50.00 an hour per billed hour and have taken a couple months off in the winter when it's slow for the last 4 years...just like school, you will only get out of a career, marriage or life what you put into it. The guy across from me is late 15-20 minutes every day, has a couple years more time in dealership than I do and makes about 20,000.00 less a year than I do even though we are "paid " the same. If your good enough to be a flat rate mechanic then you can literally make as much as you are willing to work for if you are in a place where the work is. I could make a ton more money if I wanted to live in a bigger market...I dont, I like where I live and frankly I like taking 2 months off each year. The down side is, after working on and riding over 10,000 motorcycles, I don't even own a bike anymore, all I ever did was ride to and from work for the last few years and get up in the mountains to camp on my days off, most of the guys I work with that have been doing this for more than 10 years rarely ride anymore either! I still like what I do and I am damn good at it.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:04 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,406 Likes on 1,581 Posts

Originally Posted by hog-doc
As one of the original posters with actual experience to the question here's my 2 cents 7 years later...with 12 years in dealerships...I am still wrenching in the same shop, still the top producing mechanic out of 9, make 25.00 an hour flat rate, average around 50.00 an hour per billed hour and have taken a couple months off in the winter when it's slow for the last 4 years...just like school, you will only get out of a career, marriage or life what you put into it. The guy across from me is late 15-20 minutes every day, has a couple years more time in dealership than I do and makes about 20,000.00 less a year than I do even though we are "paid " the same. If your good enough to be a flat rate mechanic then you can literally make as much as you are willing to work for if you are in a place where the work is. I could make a ton more money if I wanted to live in a bigger market...I dont, I like where I live and frankly I like taking 2 months off each year. The down side is, after working on and riding over 10,000 motorcycles, I don't even own a bike anymore, all I ever did was ride to and from work for the last few years and get up in the mountains to camp on my days off, most of the guys I work with that have been doing this for more than 10 years rarely ride anymore either! I still like what I do and I am damn good at it.
Happy for you & I mean that. Point is as you say, it requires commitment and drive. I you love it that's cool.
I happen to work in an unrelated field, still hands on and troubleshooting on my off time I wrench for myself and still enjoy the ride, because I don't do it for a living. Just the nature of the beast, with all you say you could pull down more money in fewer hours in another vocation staying fresh for the pleasure of the ride. Glad you are doing well. NO Right or wrong here, but you are the exception. Every dealership or shop has the go to guy and just the others, some more than one ace. Best to You.