General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona Beach, FL: Bikeweek/Biketoberfest, "Stale" & "Played Out"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 01:12 PM
Dispatch
Road Warrior

Received 531 Likes on 273 Posts
Default Daytona Beach, FL: Bikeweek/Biketoberfest, "Stale" & "Played Out"?

I've lived in the Daytona Beach, FL area for many years. I have attended both of it's bike events twice a year religiously, ever since I've moved here. I and so many other riders/friends, all share the view that these events have become "stale" and "played out". This view grows as the years go on. Every year it seems to us that it's the same old vendors selling their wears with the same old bike dealers (like Bruce Rossmeyer's), pushing to sell you 'any' worthless crap they can. It's like one big live commercial. There's very little difference as the years go on. Everybody's out to 'over charge' you for everything. All most people want to do is meet up and do a bit of riding each day and make new friends, while not having to pay out for every single little thing. The town even jacks up the gas prices substantially about a week before each event. When I was a kid back in the late 60's, this is not what I was told riding was really all about. Biker's from that era tell me that it is all about the buck now and has been for about the last 20 years, not about comradery and having a good time just sitting around a camp fire and just getting together. Could it be the difference in the generations? I think it is. I have not yet attended the Sturgis event but hope it is not at all like it is here in Daytona Beach.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:01 PM
David The Hutt
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think a lot of people found bike week to be depressing because of the slow economy. to be honest, other than buying the vendor stuff and walking around in the hot sun, there isnt much to do at daytona anymore. its died off as a spring break spot as well.

you are right, the best part of any bike fest is the ride and the idea of sitting around a campfire and making new friends. the problem is that many of the events dont allow for that. they are basically outdoor shopping malls for new riders looking to get some harley junk and for old riders who are going because they almost feel obligated to attend.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:51 PM
Dispatch
Road Warrior

Default People Aren't Coming Back.

Originally Posted by David The Hutt
i think a lot of people found bike week to be depressing because of the slow economy. to be honest, other than buying the vendor stuff and walking around in the hot sun, there isnt much to do at daytona anymore. its died off as a spring break spot as well.

you are right, the best part of any bike fest is the ride and the idea of sitting around a campfire and making new friends. the problem is that many of the events dont allow for that. they are basically outdoor shopping malls for new riders looking to get some harley junk and for old riders who are going because they almost feel obligated to attend.
It's not a case of the economy or even the last few years. The attendance on these bike/all events for Daytona have been fading fast for more than 10 years. Even your "hard core" Daytona people are fed-up with the constant B/S that's involved with these events. People are tired of coming to Daytona and constantly being "gouged" on every little thing that the events are about. Even during the NASCAR events they were charging $40.00 to park. I've heard countless riders and friends say that they will no longer come back to Daytona because it's become stale and way too commercialized. The city of Daytona Beach has even put out big signs that say "Your Back, Were Glad". Even they know what's going on. Your right, all Daytona Beach events deplete more and more every year. The few locals that were born here say that the town is better off without it. People here are disgusted with the constant over crowding, noise and seroius criminal activity that comes with these events. The only person who seems to be getting rich every year off of the bike events is Bruce Rossmeyer himself. The problem is it's a double edged sword. This is a beach town with no "real" jobs or any solid sources of income, also being a 'right to work' state dosen't help either. Unlike Miami or any of the main cities in Florida, Daytona Beach has no way of keeping itself going without the finances of these events. They even lost out on getting the NASCAR museum to Charlotte, N.C.. It's unfortunate that they have gone to the extreme and gouge you for all things that 'used' to be free, fun and enjoyable. I've lived and worked with so, so many people right here who share the growing view that leaving Daytona Beach and the state of Florida entirely, is the best thing to do. I would still like to find out if Sturgis is as they say it has always been. Well shall see.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:46 PM
RDM
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the Daytona bikeweeks have faded away as much as they have been killed off. Daytona Beach has earned a reputation as a place that isn't very friendly to vendors and to some extent the bikers themselves. Vendor fees have gotten so high and rooms are so expensive that a lot of the vendors that work the west side of Flordia don't go to Daytona for either event. A lot of the people I ride with won't return because they've been ticketed for some of the most ridiculous things. Being cited for improper eye protection because the bike was started at the curb before the sunglasses were put on is a bit over the top.

There are many reasons Rossmeyer and others are moving up to north Ormond. The attitude of those running the city of Daytona Beach is one of the biggest reason.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:19 PM
dh2683
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you got to keep the event in the right perspective .Your right on getting over charged for things(There are deals if you look around) but for me it a great way to have a guys only week & to get away from the snow, do some riding, drink a few beers and eat some great food. It really doesn' t matter to us were its held, its just a chance for me to get out of the crappy Northern winter before it's over.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:33 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

.............Sounds Like California

Old 03-29-2009, 08:37 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

[QUOTE=Dispatch;4782908]I've lived in the Daytona Beach, FL area for many years. I have attended both of it's bike events twice a year religiously, ever since I've moved here. I and so many other riders/friends, all share the view that these events have become "stale" and "played out".

I have lived here (Daytona) for years also....and I think Bike Week may have gotten stale....because you have. There are many things I have not seen, or have not seen in years. You may say "Once you seen one cole slaw wrestling, you have seen them all."....but not the case. There is always something (or someone) new to see. You live in motorcycle MECCA for C#hrists sake! So Rossmeyer tries to sell a motorcycle! You ever go there just to look at a guys face from Peoria! They are in heaven!..and it is in my BACK FREAKIN YARD!
Watch a guy or girl for the first time to Daytona walk on the beach....sure, we can walk on the beach anytime. Kind of stale... B.S.! You are stale!
Have you ridden this week to Howey in the Hills to smell the citrus blossums? Ridden down to Merritt Island to ride Tropical Trail? Ridden to Fort Christmas lately? I bet people who visit Daytona for bike week do. Stale...? Yup. Things get stale. You are stale.
Next time you go for a ride. Turn LEFT instead of RIGHT. Spice things up a bit.
Maybe volunteer at the Chamber of Commerce WELCOME tent. See some of the faces of people happy to be here.

Chuck

Old 03-29-2009, 08:45 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

daytona is ok if you like cell phones and trailers.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:43 AM
Dispatch
Road Warrior

Default Nieve.

[QUOTE=themensh;4785058]
Originally Posted by Dispatch
I've lived in the Daytona Beach, FL area for many years. I have attended both of it's bike events twice a year religiously, ever since I've moved here. I and so many other riders/friends, all share the view that these events have become "stale" and "played out".

I have lived here (Daytona) for years also....and I think Bike Week may have gotten stale....because you have. There are many things I have not seen, or have not seen in years. You may say "Once you seen one cole slaw wrestling, you have seen them all."....but not the case. There is always something (or someone) new to see. You live in motorcycle MECCA for C#hrists sake! So Rossmeyer tries to sell a motorcycle! You ever go there just to look at a guys face from Peoria! They are in heaven!..and it is in my BACK FREAKIN YARD!
Watch a guy or girl for the first time to Daytona walk on the beach....sure, we can walk on the beach anytime. Kind of stale... B.S.! You are stale!
Have you ridden this week to Howey in the Hills to smell the citrus blossums? Ridden down to Merritt Island to ride Tropical Trail? Ridden to Fort Christmas lately? I bet people who visit Daytona for bike week do. Stale...? Yup. Things get stale. You are stale.
Next time you go for a ride. Turn LEFT instead of RIGHT. Spice things up a bit.
Maybe volunteer at the Chamber of Commerce WELCOME tent. See some of the faces of people happy to be here.

Chuck
Unlike yourself of course, the countless years of experience of the people I've met and spoken to including my own are stale, why is this, because you say so? Wrong! Daytona events are a waste of time anymore. Obviously your statement proves you haven't been here long enough or haven't seen the wrong s--- that has been going on all these years, or your just simply nieve. It's better for anyone thinking of coming here to plan their own trip somewhere beautiful and (different) out of Florida and make a week or 2 long trip of it, as we do. I have organized, volunteered and dedicated my time money and years of effort toward bike events here in Daytona. I'm done with Daytona Beach. Daytona Beach or Florida for that matter is not worth it anymore, "that's a fact"; like it or not. An opinion shared by hundreds of people and growing after each season. I've read article after article in biker magazines stating the way bikers and vendors are treated like s--- by the city of Daytona Beach. Oh and, this ain't no motorcycle MECCA. Your dreaming. Just try to get your Harley serviced locally and you'll find out. Better yet... don't. The city should be more concerned about the numerious murders over 20" rims that happen during 'every' BCR than a biker who has his glasses on his head while stopped at a curb. Why do you think all the event organizers are not coming back? It just not worth it anymore. This is why even Bruce Rossmeyer moved up to route 1 in Ormond Beach, too much B/S. Maybe you like boozing and biking as a social life for Bikeweek/Biketoberfest but most I know, do not. They gouge the people more and more every year, that is also a fact. They don't care that it's affecting people from returning. As RDM stated is exactly on the money. They are trying to slowly drive out the bikers and the vendors, just like they did in Myrtle Beach, S.C.. To hell with this town, nobody left here cares anyway, that is just the way it is. I'm sorry if this post isn't a positive experience of Daytona Beach but I did not make it this way, they did. Reader's of this post.... don't let nobody tell you different, this is how it is here!

Old 03-30-2009, 01:58 AM
plasmadaddy
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Well I gotta say I came to Bike Week from the UK and had the most amazing few days!!

Even though the economy is bad and the exchange rate is crappy I still felt everything was exceptionally good value. I'd give my right hand for the chance to live somewhere as amazing as Daytona Beach.

Stale or not, as the Guv'nor says - I'LL BE BACK!............

Quick Reply: Daytona Beach, FL: Bikeweek/Biketoberfest, "Stale" & "Played Out"?