General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Over the Hill

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 03:52 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

The average age of a HD rider in 2000 was 40. In 2007 it was 47. I have three HD's in the garage and I am 68. O7 Softail Custom, 08 Buell Ulysess and a 09 Sportser XR1200. So as long as I am above ground, I will buy a HD each year until I run out of money around the year 4000 or so.

At 68 with three HD's does that average just a little over 22yrs old per bike?

Old 04-02-2009, 03:59 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Kanzig -- You must not have seen the 09 Sportster XR1200. Read up on it. You just might be amazed at the handling a performance. Cycle world stated that it is the HD ever made.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:31 PM
msankey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 26 with my first Harley. I guess I skipped the riding metrics until I grow into a Harley phase. I can't speak for the entire country but of my friends that ride, they ride Harleys.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Kanzig
Tourer

lh4x4,

I've seen the XR1200 up close at the dealer and it IS a nice looking cycle, almost makes me think it should have been a Buell since it is built so differently. The problem though is the price. $10,799 MSRP. At that price I can't really say this is a cycle that will be luring new riders into the dealership but maybe I'm wrong. I guess my thinking is that Harley Davidson is sort of becoming the "Cadillac" of motorcycles. Nobody buys a Cadillac as their first car.

I would like to see Harley Davidson become more of a "Ford" of motorcycles. Good, american made quality cycles that span the spectrum of the market. You can buy an inexpensive Ford that is a good car or you can buy the top of the line Mustang GT or anything in between.

Kanzig

Old 04-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Softtail Deluxe
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mrmarklin
Not a valid statistic. What the guy doesn't understand is that many of us "grew" into our Harleys after riding other brands. I'm one of them.
Just posted today on MSN http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...ries-home.aspx I believe now would be the time to get into those cheaper H.D. stocks . I to have checked out the XR1200 . looks like a sweet bike . And you can get all kinds of gear for the long haul . So if ya want a little faster , nimbler bike to ride as a spare . That bike will fit the bill . It should bring back the younger guys , and even make us oldies want em too . ......jmo ....Kevin

Old 04-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Softtail Deluxe
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Pop Pop
Don't know if they are over the hill yet, but last I checked nine out of ten were still out on the road. (one made it home) He He He
I read that and pee'd a lil bit ...........Kev

Old 04-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Softtail Deluxe
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hpfatboy
2nd that, and im right behind you!!!
Dangit ! ! I'm doin 105 and you two are still following me way too close . ! You just wait till we get to Dead Mans curve , I'm gonna pull over quickly and laugh my a*s off at ya when I pick you outta the ditch . ..................Kev

Old 04-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Softtail Deluxe
Road Captain

Originally Posted by banzai79
I agree in a lot of ways with this article. I know all you guys seem pretty bullish on the MoCo's future but once the old farts who are satisfied with poor ground clearance, poor lean angle, and poor acceleration from a bike that costs a lot (because all these faults could be forgiven if H-D weren't premium priced) die out or get old Harley is in serious trouble. I love my Harley, and they are hands down the most beautiful machines out there, but their function is just getting too far behind the times.

This also wouldn't be such a problem if Harley made things other than low slow cruisers, like oh, pretty much everybody else in the motorcycle world. Once this market trend has run its course, and it will, Harley will need to change or die.

I just don't see the sporbikers growing up into a Fat Boy.
I ride a Deluxe , very low to the ground . My lean angle is fantastic for a bike that low . With a stock 88 and a pair of Rush mufflers , I have lots of fun with the sportbikes light to light . You call, it slow , It has monster torque and just enough hp . I will admit that I'd like more , but that will come soon enough . As for the market trend running its course , did you even think about how every other motorcycle maker out there has its own Harley copy . ..........By the way , I used to ride the sport bike crap . ....................And I grew into my Harley pal . ...........Kev

Old 04-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Billie
Cruiser

Harley Davidson will continue but not the way they are use to.... IMO...sales are down and they won't get them back! They know that and have taken steps in cutting back production, closing two plants and laying people off. You, just like myself, love our Harleys but many people are blinded by that love and won't face the facts ....... FACT IS..The young people of today can't afford an HD. They can get a Jap bike cheaper and they also think they are a better Made bike. I know that most of these bikes are made of plastic but todays kids don't give a damn about steel or chrome, hell their Jap cars are chrome plastic trimed as it is. Don't get me wrong, I love my HD and would never give it up fo a metric cruiser, but todays younger riders just don't have it.........

Old 04-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

"When you buy a Harley, you're not buying a motorcycle, you're buying a lifestyle," says Dennis, of the Long Island City dealership.

the younger generation doesn't want mom and dads store-bought lifestyle. banking on a fad is risky business.

Quick Reply: Harley Over the Hill