General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Over the Hill

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 01:28 PM
banzai79
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree in a lot of ways with this article. I know all you guys seem pretty bullish on the MoCo's future but once the old farts who are satisfied with poor ground clearance, poor lean angle, and poor acceleration from a bike that costs a lot (because all these faults could be forgiven if H-D weren't premium priced) die out or get old Harley is in serious trouble. I love my Harley, and they are hands down the most beautiful machines out there, but their function is just getting too far behind the times.

This also wouldn't be such a problem if Harley made things other than low slow cruisers, like oh, pretty much everybody else in the motorcycle world. Once this market trend has run its course, and it will, Harley will need to change or die.

I just don't see the sporbikers growing up into a Fat Boy.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:36 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

H-D isn't over the hill, most of their riders are though. I have it on good source that H-D is coming out with a AARP edition complete with one of those;"I fell down and can't get up" alarm devices.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by banzai79
I agree in a lot of ways with this article. I know all you guys seem pretty bullish on the MoCo's future but once the old farts who are satisfied with poor ground clearance, poor lean angle, and poor acceleration from a bike that costs a lot (because all these faults could be forgiven if H-D weren't premium priced) die out or get old Harley is in serious trouble. I love my Harley, and they are hands down the most beautiful machines out there, but their function is just getting too far behind the times.

This also wouldn't be such a problem if Harley made things other than low slow cruisers, like oh, pretty much everybody else in the motorcycle world. Once this market trend has run its course, and it will, Harley will need to change or die.

Great, another troll. Go figure. I will be sure and tell the 3 guys at work that are in their mid to late 20's to rethink their choices of buying Harleys.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:14 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, if the XR1200 is any indication if things to come......

The younger generations will be less motivated to buy Harley because it is American or because of its tradition or nostalgia.

They are more interested in technical innovation and style. Just look at what else is popular with the Millennials. Any nostalgia/retro-style that they like comes from a different era (the 70s and 80s) than it does for Boomers (50s and 60s).

It seems pretty clear that HD knows what they are doing. They won't reinvent the company in a single model year (that would be brand suicide), but they will evolve the brand more aggressively. And in the past few years, they have (the Nightster, Fat Bob, Iron 883, Cross Bones, Rocker/Rocker C, the whole "Dark Custom" thing in general, etc.; the TriGlide may be new, but that is certainly not geared for younger riders) Yet, they still make Ultras, Softail Customs, Fatboys, and many of the ol' regulars.

They're keeping their core while evolving the brand. Seems the best thing to do in a recession.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:35 PM
jimmything
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I take a lot of what the media says with a grain of salt. From what I see at bike night, Harley's rule the roost. Besides, I love the retro look, and nothing else comes close to them in quality. There ain't a thing wrong with an overhead valve engine. They'll last a lifetime if they're maintained properly anyway. You can have your water cooled, 4 valves per cylinder, shaft driven bikes. Not for me.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:46 PM
timjab
Intermediate

All i can say is in december i wandered into a Harley dealership on a whim after a casual friend bought a yamaha roadstar. I was SMITTEN. one month later i took riders edge. two months later im on my road king in 40 degrees with my snot freezing in my mustache grinning ear to ear. I was at the dealership yesterday buying accessories and i wish it was a little more mom and pop, but its big for a reason. I dont care what age you are this stuff is pure American. yeah more kids would buy em if they werent so expensive. thank goodness i got the bug when i was 37... not when i was 27 and still in school and poor and eating ramen noodles for dinner.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:24 PM
2K1FLHPI
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am all for HD marketing to a broader demographic, including younger riders and women. It makes good business sense.

Personally, I am surprised they did not make a Dark Custom with exposed shocks on the rear and a springer front end. Although the Crossbones was a good start, I can see HD being relatively successful with a Sportster Iron married to a springer front end with forward controls.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Vcsv8
Intermediate

I believe that at this stage of the game that innovation is so important to future potential buyers. I bought a Harley because that is what I grew up with, something that I personally have always loved. I have owned sport bikes and don't see the long term appeal, there uncomfortable and I seem to always feel the need to go extremely fast...I do however feel that this could potentially be the last generation of air cooled machines that we see. V-Rod motor in a softail...Interesting concept.

I am 27...don't have my house paid off, probably shouldn't have bought a 16k Night Train but still I felt passionate enough about the bike, the "lifestyle" and in general the feeling I get riding my bike.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Kanzig
Tourer

What always bothers me is when everyone says they started learning to ride on something other than a Harley. I'm sure that is by design more-or-less since Harley doesn't sell a cycle that is ideal for new riders. Sure there are exceptions and I'm sure some of you DID start out on a Harley but more often than not I think riders began on a Honda or a Yamaha or such (I know I did).

I wonder if it would be worth it for Harley to come out with a low cost light cruiser? Something in the 600 - 800 cc range that doesn't look too retro so it appeals to the younger generation since it would be targeting them. A detuned VROD perhaps?
Now people just starting to ride who have limited funds could buy a new Harley and not have to learn on some other brand before moving up to what they wanted in the first place. Just a thought.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:47 PM
The Architect
Banned

Originally Posted by banzai79

+1000 I agree.

Quick Reply: Harley Over the Hill