General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Las Vegas area rides - Updated with Pics..

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006 | 12:40 PM
SilverDawg
|
Road Captain
Default Las Vegas area rides - Updated with Pics..

Have a Classic rented for next weekend. Need some suggestions on good 1/2 day rides in the Vegas area. Any ideas? Links?

Thanks,

Dawg

Old 04-30-2006 | 04:02 PM
vegashd
Banned
Default RE: Las Vegas area rides

You can ride out to the vallet of fire, which really is no destination just a quick round trip ride.
You can ride out to hoover damn, park, and walk the damn and ride back.
you can ride out to Red Rock Canyon. The loop is baout 15 miles and costs 3 bucks to go through. Very scenic and fun to ride through.

Old 04-30-2006 | 05:51 PM
Desert Rat
Advanced

Hey Dawg,

A couple of suggestions for riding around sin city:

*Take Hwy 160 (Blue Diamond Rd.) off interstate 15 west to the top of Mountain Springs, 30-40 miles each way. Stop at the best biker bar in the area at the top of the summit on the right side going up. A couple of mild twisters, and about a 20-degree temperature drop. Good ride, lots of hardware to look at.

*You also could head to Boulder City, cross the damn and take Hyw 93/95 about 23-30 miles on the AZ side of the river and stop at Rosie’s for a refreshment. Would not recommend eating there but a good cold one in a bottle is pretty hard to screw up. Generally several HD's in the parking lot. Only draw back is that coming back with the tourists interested in the damn and bridge construction at the damn can slow traffic considerably at times. Still way cool and very interesting if you have never seen the damn.

*You could also enter the Lake Mead National rec area (Cost $5) and take ride along Lake Mead. Very nice two-lane road through some rock formations, valley of fire, with several marina stops along the way for fuel or refreshments.

* Finally, another nice ride is to take the I-15 frontage road (located on the east side of the interstate at Las Vegas blvd's southern most intersection. There is a big ARCO station on the SE corner) to Jean NV (20-25 miles). Turn right at the stop sign in Jean cross under the interstate and in 6-7 miles you will run into Good Springs. Nice old bar there for a cool one. Always a few HD out front and kind of a cool setting as it to be a place where old time Hollywood celebrities would gather.

Hope this helps. PM me with any questions.

DR

Old 05-01-2006 | 12:26 AM
SilverDawg
|
Road Captain

Thanks folks.

Desert Rat - Thanks for the details and info on the frosty ones. Let me know if y'all will be out and about. I'll buy the first one.

Old 05-01-2006 | 01:26 PM
cbrunson
Tourer

FYI, the lake shore hwy is tore up for about 6 miles on the Boulder city end. I was gonna ride it while I was at Laughlin. The Valley of Fire costs $6.00 to go through. (but worth it). You could also go South to state line and take the Joshua tree hwy to Searchlight, and back over through Boulder City to Hoover Dam. That’s a nice ride.

Old 05-01-2006 | 02:25 PM
Desert Rat
Advanced

Dawg,

Let me know when you are in town. If the schedule permits, I'd love to hook up with you.

Best,

DR

Old 05-01-2006 | 08:27 PM
helotaxi
Cruiser

A word of note on the Valley of Fire ride, the road through the park is terrible. Rippled pavement throughout. Very crudely repaired potholes. Gravel on the road. It would be an absolutely beautiful ride if you didn't have to concentrate so hard on not trashing the bike and could actually enjoy the scenery a bit.

The ride up to Mt Charleston is pretty nice. I've made that one a few times. Take US-95 north towards Reno. Go under the Durango overpass on the NW corner of town and civilization will pretty much end, along with the restricted access freeway. Take the next left after the Durango exit and head straight on to the top of the mountain. There is a resturant in the little town at the top, and the temp will be about 20 deg cooler than in town. The road all the way up is a twisty 2-lane deal with minimal traffic. On the way back down you can take the other fork which will bring you back out to 95 a little farther north. I live right off the Durango exit and the round trip ride for me is about 45 miles.

A word of caution. Vegas drivers don't care that ANYONE else is on the road, least of all motorcycles. I've had a woman cager on the freeway go around me and start merging into my lane when she was right beside me. I hit the horn and the only change was she looked over at me as she ran me onto the shoulder. The surface streets IMO are safer than the freeway. I can't say I've ever seen a wreck on a surface street yet but I see one on the freeway pretty much every time I'm on it.

Old 05-06-2006 | 02:30 AM
SilverDawg
|
Road Captain

Helo and Rat....I'll be there tomorrow. Bike is confirmed. I checked the weather site and it looks great..88 and sunny.

Old 05-06-2006 | 03:25 PM
06BlackFLHXI
Tourer

Helotaxi

I rode through the Valley of Fire last winter, brand new asphalt, the thing was like a pool table, absolutly gorgeous. I would recommend to everyone the run through the Valley, you just dont see colors like that in town.
ORIGINAL: helotaxi

A word of note on the Valley of Fire ride, the road through the park is terrible. Rippled pavement throughout. Very crudely repaired potholes. Gravel on the road. It would be an absolutely beautiful ride if you didn't have to concentrate so hard on not trashing the bike and could actually enjoy the scenery a bit.

The ride up to Mt Charleston is pretty nice. I've made that one a few times. Take US-95 north towards Reno. Go under the Durango overpass on the NW corner of town and civilization will pretty much end, along with the restricted access freeway. Take the next left after the Durango exit and head straight on to the top of the mountain. There is a resturant in the little town at the top, and the temp will be about 20 deg cooler than in town. The road all the way up is a twisty 2-lane deal with minimal traffic. On the way back down you can take the other fork which will bring you back out to 95 a little farther north. I live right off the Durango exit and the round trip ride for me is about 45 miles.

A word of caution. Vegas drivers don't care that ANYONE else is on the road, least of all motorcycles. I've had a woman cager on the freeway go around me and start merging into my lane when she was right beside me. I hit the horn and the only change was she looked over at me as she ran me onto the shoulder. The surface streets IMO are safer than the freeway. I can't say I've ever seen a wreck on a surface street yet but I see one on the freeway pretty much every time I'm on it.

Old 05-13-2006 | 02:26 AM
SilverDawg
|
Road Captain

Had a great time on the bike last Saturday. Got on the bike about 1:30 and was able to log about 200 miles before I had to get back for a work function. Ran up through the Valley of Fire (roads were great, must have been repaired), up to Overton, NV and had a late lunch, early dinner at Sugars and watched the Kentucky Derby. Back on the horse and down to Lake Mead and the dam. Great weather and great roads.

I am going back in two weeks for another work event. A buddy is also going and we are renting again. I'll take the Mt. Charleston run and then probably back around the loop so he can see what I saw the first time. We get in earlier, so we can log a few more miles. LVHD only had Road Kings available this time, so I guess we will not have tunes.

I'll try to post some pics if I can resize them.

Quick Reply: Las Vegas area rides - Updated with Pics..