General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service / Maint Program

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009 | 01:47 PM
KCBLACKSHEEP
|
Intermediate
Default Service / Maint Program

The Dealer here has Service/Maint program of
1K (which at that time switch to synthetic)
with 2 25 point inspections per year
new battery if oringinal one quits in 1st year

is this standard or what has everyone else seen?

Old 03-26-2009 | 02:34 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

a lot of dealerships have a "pre-paid service plan". There's good and bad in them
Good... service has been paid for, you move to the front of the service line (with the other paid bikes) and many times you get a "free loaner" to use while the bike is serviced

Bad. you pay up front for the service 1year-2years -3years. if you ride you break even... if the bike sits, the dealer comes out ahead (which is the norm, and WHY it's offered.

You'd be FAR better off, investing in a lift, some new tools, and a service manual and doing it yourself. You knowledge will increase, and even though it WILL take you longer at first... you're skills will improve. Each time you bring your bike in... maybe you'll get the top tech... maybe you'll get the new kid.

There's nothing WRONG with having a tech go over the bike, and there will be someone to blame shuold the unthinkable happen.

On a side note: I had a service contract on my Honda. 2 services a year, for 3 years, 6 services total. I rode the crap outta that bike, and was well past 6 services half way through my contract. When I brought the bike in for the seventh time. The service manager just looked at the list, and there I was, still on it. The service contract list was calendar based, I suppose, I had 10 services on the first contract. And they allowed me to re-up. I paid for 12 services, I guess I had almost 30.
Of course, when I had the bike in... I was a true advertisement for the bike. Anyone worrying about reliablity of the bike would get my bike pointed out... with a "see that bike over there....xx,xxx miles on it"

Old 03-26-2009 | 06:39 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by skootchnc
You'd be FAR better off, investing in a lift, some new tools, and a service manual and doing it yourself. You knowledge will increase, and even though it WILL take you longer at first... you're skills will improve.
What he said. I just put set of front brake pads on my 2007 EGC. This is 4th job I've done on 3 different bikes and this time everything fell into place.

Well, except for not covering the brake master cylinder when I was prying the pads apart. Even though I had drained it down to almost nothing, still shot everydamnwhere.

Old 03-26-2009 | 07:08 PM
pip369
Road Captain

I try to do most of my own maintenance. Some of that work is pretty high dollar at the dealers. I do it myself so I know it is done and if something is not tightned I have myself to blame.

I also agree with whats been said about getting more knowledge about your bike. Who knows when something will go bad out in the middle of no where. Knowing more about the bike can't hurt.

Phil

Old 03-26-2009 | 08:00 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member

My 07 would get a new battery on warranty if it quit within two years. Have they changed the warranty?

Old 03-26-2009 | 09:18 PM
Haywired
Road Master

Our local shop offers free maintenance on new bikes for as long as you own it. Nice perk. On the other hand, I like turning wrenches and got the service manual with the bike and will do as much as I can myself.