General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locked threads

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 12:58 PM
onadraw
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Locked threads

I agree that members should not post comments that might seem threatening but why not just remove the individual post that is not in keeping with forum policy?

I mean, shouldn't we be able to discuss and keep ourselves protected from other forum members that are acting dishonestly in trades with other forum members? I value these threads so that I won't fall into the same bad situation.

In my opinion, that is one of the reasons to belong to a large active forum.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Monochrome
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know enough about locked threads on this forum but usually they seem to happen when the topic has been exhausted and the posts have descended to threats and insults. If you mean someone might try and get a thread locked because it says things about them being dishonest and so the thread is removed that is an interesting point. I think forum owners have a set of rules they have learned work best over time and I don't know if we can expect them to protect us, we need to use our own judgement when buying or dealing with other forum members. It would help to give an example of a thread? Oh and nice bike by the way.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:44 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by onadraw
I agree that members should not post comments that might seem threatening but why not just remove the individual post that is not in keeping with forum policy?

I mean, shouldn't we be able to discuss and keep ourselves protected from other forum members that are acting dishonestly in trades with other forum members? I value these threads so that I won't fall into the same bad situation.

In my opinion, that is one of the reasons to belong to a large active forum.
In this case, and knowing the thread you are referring to, I agree. I feel we should know how this situation turns out, for better or for worse. While the seller involved looks pretty bad at this point, there may be more to the story and unless we here the outcome, the seller will remain convicted without a trial, so to speak.

That said, we are just guests here and the rules are not ours to make.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:35 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
In this case, and knowing the thread you are referring to, I agree. I feel we should know how this situation turns out, for better or for worse. While the seller involved looks pretty bad at this point, there may be more to the story and unless we here the outcome, the seller will remain convicted without a trial, so to speak.

True dat.

On another forum a user posted up about not receiving merchandise or explanation for months. Turns out that the guy was seriously ill in the hospital. If this were a business there should be a way of "business as usual", but for an individual selling to another individual there's really no way of someone else taking over and shipping the product. The good news is that he did recover, and the poster did get his choice of the merchandise or his money back. The bad news is that this guy got run through the ringer along with the bad rap on that forum while trying to survive in a hospital bed.

I hope I didn't just give the guy in question here an out. But either way, the merchandise or the refund should be issues.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:41 PM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
BINGO! Plus membership here is FREE so really have no grounds to gripe, moan or groan.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:33 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by kromdom
BINGO! Plus membership here is FREE so really have no grounds to gripe, moan or groan.
I'm gonna try that line on my 'ol lady!

Old 03-25-2009, 03:36 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an boat engine get caught up in an estate proceeding. The machine shop owner had a heart attack and died half way through boring out an engine block of mine. Felt sorry for the family, but I needed that half-bored block either finished or back. Finally got the block back after waiting for a couple of weeks while the family got settled. Your right, without knowing the facts I could have made it more than it needed to be. With that in mind though, if the guy that sold them gauges is being a thief than I would want to know about it.
Originally Posted by mtnlvr
True dat.

On another forum a user posted up about not receiving merchandise or explanation for months. Turns out that the guy was seriously ill in the hospital. If this were a business there should be a way of "business as usual", but for an individual selling to another individual there's really no way of someone else taking over and shipping the product. The good news is that he did recover, and the poster did get his choice of the merchandise or his money back. The bad news is that this guy got run through the ringer along with the bad rap on that forum while trying to survive in a hospital bed.

I hope I didn't just give the guy in question here an out. But either way, the merchandise or the refund should be issues.

Last edited by oldairboater; 03-27-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:51 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When it comes to forum rules, the only way it can work is if you have rules that apply to a wide variety of scenarios...It's much too difficult to create rules with exceptions...not to mention try to enforce them.

The administration on this forum has done a great job so far in enforcing rules which may result with a locked thread. Although, it leaves us hanging with no opportunity for closure sometimes, the rules themselves are not the problem. Closing a thread is a last resort.

This is necessary when conversations become argumentative or threatening. PM's are still available for further discussion and can be used in the event there is an unresolved issue. Our moderators are always available to help resolve issues in regards to the forum itself. If things are of a personal nature, then they should be dealt with on a personal level, not on a public forum. That's why we must always be very cautious about purchasing anything on line, from complete strangers.

Without proper contact information, you are left with no recourse in the event that something unexpected happens....A common interest forum such as this, is really not the appropriate place to deal with problems that have escalated into something that could turn a thread south.

Last edited by bikergirl40; 03-25-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:19 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have no problems with threads being locked when it get's to the point of people threatening one another, but in the case of these three threads I didn't see that at all. Just people throwing out general comments about riding down to see the guy. I hated to see these threads locked because I wanted to see the outcome. Now I guess we're left with just looking to see if if Titusvilleharley has been banned. Then we'll know the outcome of the dispute.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:56 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Both threads were locked.......not removed.
They are both still very readable.

Quick Reply: Locked threads