General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My argument for Engine (CRASH ) guards

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005 | 02:29 AM
m5xjr
|
Intermediate
Default My argument for Engine (CRASH ) guards

First of all, I think they actually look good on my '05 Softail Springer.

More importantly: I pick up the new bike last Tuesday, put a few miles on it throughout the week and then on Sunday I go for a ride with my Dad. Mom, Sis and Brother-in-Law. Three bikes (yep, I'm the lonely guy) Anyway, I'm stopped at a stop sign and BAM!!!! I'm hit from the rear!!! Of course, my bike lurches forward. Needless to say I'm a bit surprised and my new bike goes down on the right side. I'm unhurt. Obviously, it wasn't a BIG BAM!!! It was just a BAM!!! Or else I would have been hurt. The engine (CRASH) guard prevented the bike from falling on my leg, and prevented major damage to the right side of the bike.
DAMAGE: Rear fender and support and left side directional light. (Yo....I was hit from behind by a pick-up truck...whaddya expect?) The license plate/mount was bent underneath against the tire so far I couldn't move forward to get out the road. I had to go backwards to release it before I went forward. The right side engine guard was scraped up of course. The tip of the lower pipe of my Big Radius exhaust was bent. My right side saddle bag was also scrapped up along with my brake lever. That was basically it.
The engine (CRASH) guard prevented damage to my exhaust (just the tip was bent), air cleaner, frame, brake peddle, gas tank and handle bars. Not to mention my right leg.

They ain't gonna save ya in a high speed crash, but in a "fender bender." or that one time that ya slip-up and drop your bike, they will save ya some bucks and maybe some pain too.

And hey...They really look good on a '05 Softail Springer.

Old 04-13-2005 | 03:02 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: My argument for Engine (CRASH ) guards

Glad to hear you were unhurt!

Man, if that had happened to me, they'd find the crash bars wrapped around the ****stick driving the truck's neck! [:@]

What did the ******* have to say for themselves? Wait, let me guess: "I didn't see you", right? I hope the cops charged that clown with dangerous driving, or something!

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 04-13-2005 | 04:58 AM
AceArt
Road Warrior

From what we've heard and read recently, they probably fined the motorcycles for being stopped at a red light!

Old 04-13-2005 | 11:59 AM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member

Man, it's a good thing you weren't hurt. I'm curious to know what the guy who hit you said as well and what transpired when the cops got there. What's the rest of the story?

Old 04-13-2005 | 02:56 PM
Bannana Boat
Road Captain

Glad to hear you are o.k. I guess now I finally know why the annoying holes in my front down tubes support bracket that H.D. left is there. In case one person out of 10 decides to put on crash bars? Maybe someone else knows why they left the hole in the front fender? In case one out 1 of 10 puts on a mudflap?

Old 04-13-2005 | 03:03 PM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member

Also glad to hear that you were unhurt. Interested in what they had to say. I agree with Clammy on his reaction.

Old 04-13-2005 | 10:34 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member

Glad your ok, and hope you get the bike fixed soon. An '05? I would kill the bastard!

Old 04-13-2005 | 11:03 PM
m5xjr
|
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: Clammy

Glad to hear you were unhurt!

Man, if that had happened to me, they'd find the crash bars wrapped around the ****stick driving the truck's neck! [:@]

What did the ******* have to say for themselves? Wait, let me guess: "I didn't see you", right? I hope the cops charged that clown with dangerous driving, or something!

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]
Clammy (and all who were glad I was unhurt.........obviously my ex is not on this site ),

Thanks for the good words.

It was a kid in his Dad's truck. I kept my cool[>:]. I was just happy I wasn't hurt. The kid didn't really say much at all. I think he was mainly worried about tellin' his parents'. He was REAL quiet, but very cooperative. I didn't call the cops....Just exchanged the usual information. But let me tell ya...even if you have a fender bender, call the cops. That Police Report is like GOLD to insurance companies. My insurance company has been great though. They are gonna ensure that the bike is repaired like new and the accident is a "No Fault". None the less, if I had the Police Report, it would help in the settlement, I think. They gave me 2 options: 1: Pay my $100.00 deductable, use my insurance to get the bike fixed, and then I get the $100.00 back after they resolve everything with the kid's insurance co. OR 2: Wait until they resolve things with the kid's insurance co., pay no deductible, and have them pay for the fix. I'm being patient right now, and have decided to go for option #2. If things drag on, I can always go back to option #1. I know that it's only 100 bucks, but I don't think my insurance co. should have to pay for my being rear ended. But if it drags on....YOU KNOW what I'm gonna do.

You shoulda seen the look on the kids face when I asked him for a crowbar to pry my plate and fender bracket off my rear tire......It was like....."Should I give it to him...or not....mmmmmmmm....I just crashed him, and he wants a crowbar....mmmmmmm.....what should I do?"

He gave it to me, and all was cool.

Again,

Thanks to all for your kind thoughts.

Ignore my statement below about the photo, and revise it to read: "Photos after repair."

Old 04-13-2005 | 11:17 PM
m5xjr
|
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: Bannana Boat

Glad to hear you are o.k. I guess now I finally know why the annoying holes in my front down tubes support bracket that H.D. left is there. In case one person out of 10 decides to put on crash bars? Maybe someone else knows why they left the hole in the front fender? In case one out 1 of 10 puts on a mudflap?
BB,

Thanks for the kind words.

Yep, I'm that 1 and 10, and I hear ya about the holes.
Regarding that hole in the fender for the mudflap....Maybe you should just do what I do with it. Fill it with..........MUD. LOL

Take care. Ride safe, and "Check your six." Ya never know what's back there.

Old 04-13-2005 | 11:48 PM
m5xjr
|
Intermediate
Default 1 in 10'r

ORIGINAL: Bannana Boat

You, of course, already knew that I was a 1 in 10'er

I bought a SPRINGER!!!!

Conversation between me and my insurance adjuster while he examined the damage on my bike:

ADJUSTER: "Why did you buy a Springer? Do you like the old style?"
ME: "I just like the way it looks"
ADJUSTER: "Some people like 'em. Some people don't"

Yep...I'm a 1 in 10'er

Take care....Ride Safe...."Check your six"...and fill them holes!!!!!

Quick Reply: My argument for Engine (CRASH ) guards