General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broken belt

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009 | 09:48 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior

How much does a dealer charge to replace a belt?

Old 03-23-2009 | 09:50 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mcrider1
How much does a dealer charge to replace a belt?
Too much

Old 03-23-2009 | 10:10 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

Bagman,I see it now. Forgot about the pivot pin. Belt runs on both sides. Belt change out would be a new learning experience for me. Chains were easier but didn't last as long.
Originally Posted by Eyespy
Swing arm pivot has to be dropped.

Last edited by oldairboater; 03-23-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-23-2009 | 10:24 AM
IRideMineEverywhere
Tourer

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Shortcuts=f-ups
+1! Amen to that!

Old 03-23-2009 | 10:40 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member

Da gumpmeister is just confused as to what a freakin' belt is doing on a freakin' motorcycle.

Old 03-23-2009 | 12:29 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

I just finished changing the all three fluids on my dyna wideglide. I am looking over this belt and belt guards from the rear axle to the primary. I do not see the necessity of removing the swing arm pivot pin. The new belt should slide over the rear swing arm where the axle shaft was and slide to the front enough to go over the transmission pulley with the clutch basket and compensator removed. The shock should be the only thing that needs to be removed on the rear swing arm. My book doesn't mention removing pivot pin also. Would definitely be a learning experience.

Old 03-23-2009 | 12:45 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by pearson
my belt just broke tonight on my 03 roadking. lucky enough to be in my driveway. anyone know how to change a belt?
How many miles did you get out of the belt?

Old 03-23-2009 | 12:58 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by oldairboater
I just finished changing the all three fluids on my dyna wideglide. I am looking over this belt and belt guards from the rear axle to the primary. I do not see the necessity of removing the swing arm pivot pin. The new belt should slide over the rear swing arm where the axle shaft was and slide to the front enough to go over the transmission pulley with the clutch basket and compensator removed. The shock should be the only thing that needs to be removed on the rear swing arm. My book doesn't mention removing pivot pin also. Would definitely be a learning experience.
You sure about that? Look very close I think youre missing something. Like the down frame that the SA attaches to.

Old 03-23-2009 | 02:32 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

If it's there I don't see it. My shock is bolted to the swingarm on top. Once the shock is loose from the left swing arm--the belt should slide down the swing arm to give enough slack to put it over the transmission sprocket. I have a wide glide and a heritage classic. I am going to have to go by a local shop tomorrow. I didn't buy enough shock oil for my front shocks on the wide glide. I will ask the man. He will know.
Originally Posted by bagman1
You sure about that? Look very close I think youre missing something. Like the down frame that the SA attaches to.

Last edited by oldairboater; 03-23-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-23-2009 | 03:11 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by carpetride
Da gumpmeister is just confused as to what a freakin' belt is doing on a freakin' motorcycle.
NOT con-fussed, jus' OTL.

H*LL, mine doesn't even have a swingarm on it. How do you 'spect me 2 know?? Bwahahahaha

YES, you do HAVTA pull it. They are WORSE than the softatils to change out, IMFUO. What would I tell you IF you called me?? SELL IT!!!!! J/K

DEMOCRACY = 2 Wolves and a Sheep, voting on what to have for lunch.
LIBERTY = A well armed Sheep, contesting the vote.

Quick Reply: broken belt