General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NY Times Article on HD

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 09:46 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 03-22-2009, 10:03 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think the writer much understood the motorcycle market. Baby boomers may be getting older, but so is everyone else. Most of those kids on sportsbikes aren't going to be on any bike once they get a wife and kids. When the kids get older and they start wanting to ride again they are going to look at those sportsbikes and think suicide machine. If a plague kills everyone 30-40 Harley will be in trouble, but if that happens I think Harley's welfare will be the least of our concerns.

What they say about debt though I think hit's the mark. They can't borrow, raise capital nor sell those loans. Borrow at 15% and loan at 7%? You can't afford to do business like that. Long-term they are, likely, going to have to convert to carrying those loans to maturity but right now they have a problem financing the switch.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:10 PM
memphis
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting article
Even HD is suffering from the global financial crisis
But I think they will survive and meanwhile let's enjoy
oud ride

Old 03-22-2009, 10:20 PM
Haywired
Road Master

Interesting article. I was at the dealership in Madison, WI yesterday, they had a major event happening and it was packed. The average age of the people there was way below what this article claims. With as many bikes that are out there for sale I have to believe that younger riders are going to take advantage of some deals that are available.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:28 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I wanted to say something meaningful, but cant not find the words. I bought a Harley because I always enjoyed hot rods and motorcycles. I combined the two into one hobby. Plus, I like to buy American Made when I can, even if it cost extra. I agree, as the younger crowd of sport bikers get older they will move over to Harleys, if they can afford one. Motorcycles are luxury items for the most part, thus, one of the fist things to go. I know I have a boat I am having a hard time justifying. I hope they get their marketing and restructuring figured out.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:35 PM
atomic
Road Warrior

Interesting article. I bought a pair of sunglasses and a t-shirt last summer from the dealership in Ocean City, MD last summer so I am doing my part to help him out.

I don't know how people with bad credit are going to be able to come up with 20% down that Harley says it is now requiring. On one of the big twins that is going to come close to 4000 dollars.

I was out riding on Saturday and there were a ton of people buying stuff at the local Harley dealership. Perhaps not bikes but clothing.

Maybe the dealerships can carry other brands to make it through the weak spot. The local jap dealer carries all 4 jap brands of motorcycles and jet skis, mules, Atv, boats.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:40 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

I am 39 years old. I am currently riding my second Harley, a 2008 Ultra Classic. I bought my first Harley, a 2003 Ultra Classic when I was 34. I have been riding on the streets for 23 years and riding altogether approximately 30 years of my life. Like most people, I have ridden everything under the sun including sportbikes and touring machines from BMW. As I grew older, got married, bought a home and started a family, my priorities changed. Suddenly, I was no longer interested in fast sportbikes, or even euro sport-touring....I wanted a Harley and that's what I bought. I've been enjoying the ride ever since.

My whole point is, while the article mentions that the Baby Boomers are aging and at some point will no longer be riding, the next generation will, and so will the generation after that one. Younger folks like me, with good jobs and higher incomes who have matured and grown out of sportbikes and the like who have the disposable incomes to afford them will buy Harley's for generations to come. I think Harley's future is safe.

As far as the markets are concerned, that's another story. Worse comes to worse, Harley may have to cut their production way back, perhaps to year 2000 numbers. Rather than selling 300,000 bikes annually, maybe they go back to producing only half of that. This would also restrict their need for credit facilities. Far worse things could happen.

Last edited by tda69; 03-22-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:55 PM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealership here in my hometown has been booming. I know it's only one dealership, but my hope is, that the New York Times is out of business before the MoCo is. I wouldn't wipe my *** with that fishwrap.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:51 AM
E.Richardson
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting... I think that the writer is lumping a number of cliches in with the "Harley of yore" - (older riders, etc.) It looks like he found the one dealership that is struggling and exploited it. Otherwise, all three dealerships in our area are booming.

NYTimes is about as newsworthy as The Onion.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:05 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

+1 Agree

Originally Posted by Ratster
Dealership here in my hometown has been booming. I know it's only one dealership, but my hope is, that the New York Times is out of business before the MoCo is. I wouldn't wipe my *** with that fishwrap.

Quick Reply: NY Times Article on HD