General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning New Threat : Drunk Bicyclists

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 09:33 PM
sage954
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning New Threat : Drunk Bicyclists

My brother and I went out for nice little 250 mile ride up into the N. Georgia Mtns. For those of you that are from Ga, we took 53 to 183 and stopped by Amicalola Falls. Then we took 136 over Burnt Mtn and then picked up 53 East of Jasper and took it back to Fairmount. From Fairmount we went down 411 to White so that we could eat Dinner at Wes-Man's Restaurant.

After dinner on the way home is when everything hit the crapper. We took 411 into Cartersville and turned onto a little street that run's between two shopping centers to get to the main highway. Well we make the turn and just shift into 3rd gear when a guy on a bicycle shoots out of the shopping center on the left trying to cross the street to the other shopping center.

My brother was the lead bike and he applied breaks and quickly swerved left. Now if the guy had continued on across the road my brother would have missed him by a couple of feet. He must have noticed the motorcycle at the same time my brother was starting to swerve. What the bicyclist did next was unbelievable, he turned his bike directly toward my brother. They hit head on and slid down the street about 20 feet.

My brother was wearing his jacket so that saved him from a bunch of road rash and the right side of his helmet is scarred up. Even with his engine guard his ankle got caught under his pipes and broke it. He also came down hard on his elbow/shoulder and broke his collarbone.

The guy on the bicycle was messed up pretty bad. When we tried to help him he smelled strongly of booze. The Officer at the hospital (who was also a biker and really cool) confirmed the guy was drunk out of his mind.

So spread the word, watch out for drunk bycyclists. Don't let your friends ride their bicycle's drunk.

I am joking around but I am seriously pissed that one drunk semi homeless POS has caused my brother all this pain, and caused such havoc. I would really like to strangle the chit out of him.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:42 PM
pottsy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good grief. Hope he heals up well.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:54 PM
fxdwg_rugby
Road Master

When I was in collage way back, during the 80's, we all observed this from the balcony. This knuckle head was flying down the hill on his 10speed heading towards an officer. For some unknown reason the rider turn right into a parked car and flew right over...Funny as hell. Yes the dumbass got a DUI. The officer gets out of the crusier laughing his *** off an hand cuffs this drunk and pours him into the back of the car...
What the hell are they thinking? Millersville University in Pa...

Old 03-22-2009, 09:54 PM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member

Best wishes to your brother. I hope he's back out on the road soon. I live in a college town and I gotta tell ya, bicyclists are a pain in the ***. This town and county has spent lord knows how much money on bicycle paths both in town and county wide. But go figure, these assbag bicyclists insist on riding a favorite back road that has no path. To make matters worse, they ride two, sometimes three abreast and refuse to string out when traffic begins to back up behind them. They don't have to be drunk to be a PITA. They pretty much all SUCK.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:22 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member

There's a bar in town that has as many bicycles parked in the bike rack as cars in the lot. Everything from the sting ray type bikes to the mountain bikes and ten speeds. All these guys have already lost their license. In the police blotter of the local paper it's not uncommon to read a LEO giving some drunk a ride home. Yup, it's a small town......

Old 03-22-2009, 10:49 PM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Geez....last week we were warned about being hit by "wild turkeys" and now "drunk bicyclists". What's next?

I am sorry about your bro. Hope he get's well soon.

Ride safe all.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:25 PM
Softtail Deluxe
Road Captain

I hope your brother heals quickly . It's sad to hear about people like that . Reminds me of a time when a drunk was caught on horseback in the town I grew up in .

Old 03-23-2009, 02:32 AM
Monochrome
Road Captain

Here cyclist organisations tend to be very anti-motorbike. Once they claimed motorcycles are a danger to pedestrians, a motorcycle journalist did some research, guess who killed more pedestrians! They can be lethal they seem to think red lights don't apply to them and are often clueless about the traffic around them (and that is when they are sober!). Hope your brother heals soon, that really does suck.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:14 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

In NC, there are signs "share the road" with a drawing of a bicycle. It's supposed to mean everyone share the road with each other, AND there is a law, that the bicycles NOT impead traffic. However the bicyclists act as though the signs mean THEY own the road, and everyone should get out of their way.
Whether sober or drunk, they will pull some pretty bone headed stunts. including "blocking". i swear most of the people who claim to be "victims of Road Rage" are the caused of road rage.

hope everyone heals up quickly, Alas, the bicyclist doesn't have insurance, so your brother is left holding the bag. I hope he sues the crap outta the idiot

Old 03-23-2009, 05:24 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate to admit this, but it can get pretty bad here in FL too. Watch out for suspended/revoked DL bicyclists (experienced DUI survivors) and note those bars that should probably have a bicycle rack in front (the "other" biker bars).

Quick Reply: Warning New Threat : Drunk Bicyclists