General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning New Threat : Drunk Bicyclists

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 06:08 AM
Old Bones
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In NH if you lose your drivers licence for anything you can not even ride a bicycle. If you are caught riding it is just like driving without a licence. If you are riding DUI on a bicycle it is another DUI on your licence. Hope you brother gets better.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:51 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by skootchnc
In NC, there are signs "share the road" with a drawing of a bicycle. It's supposed to mean everyone share the road with each other, AND there is a law, that the bicycles NOT impead traffic. However the bicyclists act as though the signs mean THEY own the road, and everyone should get out of their way.
Whether sober or drunk, they will pull some pretty bone headed stunts. including "blocking". i swear most of the people who claim to be "victims of Road Rage" are the caused of road rage.

hope everyone heals up quickly, Alas, the bicyclist doesn't have insurance, so your brother is left holding the bag. I hope he sues the crap outta the idiot
If this had been a drunk or stupid HD rider would you feel the same way towards all HD riders? I ride a bicycle 150 to 200 miles a week.
It is true that you are not supposed to impede traffic. In NC, it is legal to ride two abreast on a bicycle on four lane roads. It is also true that other vehicles are supposed to give bicycles room when they pass them.
On a bicycle, it's just like a motorcycle, sometimes you must protect your lane or the cars will push you right off the road. I'm on a four lane neighborhood street everyday and have cars that will not move over to the left lane, even when there are no cars at all in the left lane.
How would you feel if cars & m/c's passed you on your bike halfway in your lane? And lots of them do it on purpose.
I have the same problem when riding my sportbike in the NC mtns. I come up on a group of cruisers that think they own the road and won't move over. They go 5 to 10 under the speed limit and then brake for the curves! They just do the old rolling roadblock. I pass them, but I pass in the other lane. Just like you should do on your motorcycle or in your car when passing a bicycle.
Sorry about the OP's brother and hope he heals quickly. Watch out for stupid drunks, even on HD's. ATGATT

Last edited by mcrider1; 03-23-2009 at 07:53 AM. Reason: sp?
Old 03-23-2009, 08:10 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Drunk bicycling is nothing new. Done it many times.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:32 AM
humbuster
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In northern Colorado we have many spandex clad (matching outfits, no less) cyclists routinely riding 2 abreast in their "Tour De ***" weekly rides. These beligerent ******** go out of their way to f*ck with traffic on the back roads and foothills. Even though 2 abreast is illegal, local newspapers love cyclists, fawn over them all the time and never give any ink to local bikers and our many charity functions.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:36 AM
jjlefty51
Road Warrior

I hope your brother heals quickly. The list of things to watch for just keeps getting bigger and crazier.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:46 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by humbuster
In northern Colorado we have many spandex clad (matching outfits, no less) cyclists routinely riding 2 abreast in their "Tour De ***" weekly rides. These beligerent ******** go out of their way to f*ck with traffic on the back roads and foothills. Even though 2 abreast is illegal, local newspapers love cyclists, fawn over them all the time and never give any ink to local bikers and our many charity functions.
In NC, we have many leather clad ( matching outfits, no less) bikers riding 2 abreast in their "Tour de Pirate" weekly bar hopping rides. These belligerent idiots ride two abreast in both lanes of four lane highways at 55 mph and screw with traffic.
I had to pass between two HD's on Hwy 24 outside of Woodland Park last summer. These two idiots were riding side by side taking up both lanes and backing up traffic forever. I finally worked my way to the front of the backup and saw what was going on. I positioned my bright lights in the rearview of the guy in the left lane but he still would not move. So, I just split them and moved on.
Could this have been you? Probably not, since I wasn't in Northern Co.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:47 AM
JerryGarcia4295
Cruiser

Agree 100% ... I too ride both motored and pedaled 2 wheeled vehicles ... I can't believe the hate I'm reading here for bicyclists. The same stuff we put up with on a motorcycle you also have to put up with on a bicycle. As far as riding on the road ... I pay taxes the same as you do, and the law says I can't ride on the sidewalk. Yeah we ride abreast sometimes ... do you know why? If you don't "claim" the road all the idiot bicycle haters will run your *** over - I've had cars AND motorcycles get close enough to me that I could feel their mirrors on my arm. We are supposed to stop at stop signs the same as motor vehicles, but again sometimes if you stop a car pulls up right next to you instead of behind you like they are supposed to do ... or if they do get behind you they get pissed off that you can't take off at 20 mph like they can. Don't like getting tailgated on a motorcycle - try it on a bicycle. As far as "blocking" ... yeah it's done on large bike rides the same as it's done for poker runs on motorcycles ... you can guess why. If you like the freedom to have your motorcycle even though people don't like em then cut the bicyclists some slack you can't have it both ways. Think about it.

Originally Posted by mcrider1
If this had been a drunk or stupid HD rider would you feel the same way towards all HD riders? I ride a bicycle 150 to 200 miles a week.
It is true that you are not supposed to impede traffic. In NC, it is legal to ride two abreast on a bicycle on four lane roads. It is also true that other vehicles are supposed to give bicycles room when they pass them.
On a bicycle, it's just like a motorcycle, sometimes you must protect your lane or the cars will push you right off the road. I'm on a four lane neighborhood street everyday and have cars that will not move over to the left lane, even when there are no cars at all in the left lane.
How would you feel if cars & m/c's passed you on your bike halfway in your lane? And lots of them do it on purpose.
I have the same problem when riding my sportbike in the NC mtns. I come up on a group of cruisers that think they own the road and won't move over. They go 5 to 10 under the speed limit and then brake for the curves! They just do the old rolling roadblock. I pass them, but I pass in the other lane. Just like you should do on your motorcycle or in your car when passing a bicycle.
Sorry about the OP's brother and hope he heals quickly. Watch out for stupid drunks, even on HD's. ATGATT

Old 03-23-2009, 08:52 AM
humbuster
Tourer

Nah, don't live in NC so I could not have been with me.
Here in the West, real bikers share the road.

Whats a matter - get a wedgie from your Spandex and like it?

Last edited by humbuster; 03-23-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:57 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by humbuster
Nah, don't live in NC so I could not have been with me.
Here in the West, real bikers share the road.

Whats a matter - get a wedgie from your Spandex and like it?
Well, like I said earlier. I was in Woodland Park, Co on Hwy 24. I guess you "real" northern Co guys don't ride that far south.
And you sure do have a thing about homosexual jokes too. Are you hiding in the closet?

Old 03-23-2009, 10:05 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Its not just drunk bicycle riders you need to watch out for, but bicycle riders in general. Downtown Columbus has bike lanes in some areas, and thos sob.s will just veer out and into your lane cutting across the street. Fu*king cops do nothing to them, but man, just you hit one when they veer out suddenly in front of you and see just how fast your azz lands in jail or at the least you are ticketed.

Make them license their bicycles, insure them and adhere to the traffic laws, just like the rest of us sharing the road. Or keep them off the streets.

Quick Reply: Warning New Threat : Drunk Bicyclists