General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 10:45 AM
rexel
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sport bike or cruiser, it's worth the trip there...one word of advice, go during the week when there is less traffic. Didn't see and LEO's there during the week.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:57 AM
06DEUCE
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

first off, it's not the bike, it's the riders skill level. just because some kid has a sportbike doesn't mean he can out ride me! not all of us grew up on harleys, ive had vmax's, CBR's you name it. my slow doose can handle those curves pretty well!

last time i was @ the dragon the record was 11 min. does that still stand?

Old 03-23-2009, 11:16 AM
jokerx
Banned

Originally Posted by mcrider1
The road was clear yesterday.
I have a question that might get under the skin of some folks here, but I'll ask it anyway. Why do cruiser riders want to go to The Dragon? Do all of you deep down really want to be a sportbike rider? Hwy 129 has got to be one of the worst roads to ride a cruiser on. It's tight and full of fast bikes that the cruisers are just holding up. Why don't the cruiser guys leave this piece of asphalt to the sportbikes, and "cruise" somewhere else? Or at least pull over and let the faster traffic go by?
And don't say that you cruiser guys pull over and let sportbikes by, because it rarely happens to me on my sportbike. There are a few that will wave you by, but most look scared to death and don't even know I'm behind them.
Kind of a dumbass statement; the thrill of the twisties isn't the speed, but the fact that you're pushin your scoot to it's limits. A corner I can take on my Ducati at 70 is no more or less fun that pushin my softail through the same corners at 50.

Askin why cruiser guys would want to ride it is ignorant; they want to ride it for the same reasons squids want to ride it, cause twisties are fun.

Make no mistake, if the area is safe and someone wants to go faster...I'll wave em by...problem is, most of the squids don't want to wait till it's safe and pass on double yellow in the blind spots.

I guess the more intelligent question would be, considerin the speed limit is 35mph, why don't you squids find a racetrack instead of endangering other folks on a public road?

Old 03-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The road was clear yesterday.
I have a question that might get under the skin of some folks here, but I'll ask it anyway. Why do cruiser riders want to go to The Dragon? Do all of you deep down really want to be a sportbike rider? Hwy 129 has got to be one of the worst roads to ride a cruiser on. It's tight and full of fast bikes that the cruisers are just holding up. Why don't the cruiser guys leave this piece of asphalt to the sportbikes, and "cruise" somewhere else? Or at least pull over and let the faster traffic go by?
And don't say that you cruiser guys pull over and let sportbikes by, because it rarely happens to me on my sportbike. There are a few that will wave you by, but most look scared to death and don't even know I'm behind them.
I'll stay off your precious Dragon if you sportbike guys stay out of this forum. Deal?

Old 03-23-2009, 12:32 PM
ae4782tt
Road Master

I'll tell ya why I like riding 129 with my Heritage...cuz its a blast! Its fun to navigate my Hog around the curves, especially riding 2 up! I love feeling my G/F's legs clench up and squeeze me whenever there is scraping!

Old 03-23-2009, 12:35 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior

Whats the tail of the dragon? Sounds like an old Bruce Lee movie...

I googled it...it's Deals Gap. I saw that thing on one of those super bike shows. is it the one with the tree full of busted bike parts from crashes? Anyway I would love to ride it one of these days. It is definately on my "to ride list"...

Last edited by cowboy1; 03-23-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:04 PM
psyco1
Road Master

I was there Thursday and didn't see any patrols at all, but OTOH the forecast was for rain and I only saw about 10 bikes all day. It was like I had the Gap all to myself.
I left the Sportster at home and took the EX-500, it's much better suited for riding roads like that and probably more comfortable on the long haul.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:15 PM
rockhard69
Road Captain

We have been there numerous times and it is fun to ride, idoits that overdrive their skills is where the problems are and they ride and drive just about anything.
"Tail of the Dragon" is the website. It is mostly those who think it is a race track that brought in all the LEOS.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:27 PM
oppirs
Road Warrior

That road was a blast! We were coming back from Bike Week a few years ago, I was on a custom Titan roadrunner 96". The best scrapin' of the kick stand & V&H pro pipe I ever had, road it like a rocket had my knees scuffed a few times throwin' myself over. No Leo's, no one on the road that afternoon. Times maybe a changin'.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

So, the cruiser a-holes coming at you in the wrong lane don't bother you?
In two previous trips, I haven't had a cruiser "crossover" into my lane. That doesn't mean they're not a-holes...

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon