General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SAFETY: Headlight Modulation - Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 01:05 PM
street_glider
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SAFETY: Headlight Modulation - Yes or No?

I read through an old thread from 2006 and wonder if times have changed. When considering safety out on the road, I wonder if modulated headlights help prevent accidents.

A young man from our local high school that graduated two years ago was killed last week in Florida when someone turned left in front of him. He went to school with my sons and it drives the point home as my 19 year old and I both ride. Now I'm thinking about getting these modulators for both of us. Any advise on usefulness and brands/systems to look at?

Old 03-22-2009, 01:39 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run a headlite modulator and yellow lenses in my passing lamps and have been told on club runs that I can always be spotted. The other measure, when lane splitting I feel like Moses ;-)

As far as brands go just do a search as the're all about the same. My lens covers are from Cee Bailey.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The extra two driving lights out front make a HUGE difference in whether people in cages pull out in front of you or not. After experiencing bikes both way, with and without, I won't ride without them. Bright lites even during the day irritate me so I wouldn't do that to others, even modulated.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:59 PM
gambler
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A headlight modulator is the single most important add-on that I recommend to fellow riders. It has gotten drivers' attention many times when they were about to pull out in front of me. I STRONGLY recommend it.

http://www.kisantech.com/view_produc...roduct=P115W-S

Ride Safe.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:02 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Modulators work. Studies have found that. Like other safety initiatives that have had much press, I'm surprised we don't hear more about modulators. With my Ultra, I am considering using my passing lamps with a modulator. Thanks for posting this subject. Will be interesting to see the responses.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:48 PM
street_glider
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gambler
A headlight modulator is the single most important add-on that I recommend to fellow riders. It has gotten drivers' attention many times when they were about to pull out in front of me. I STRONGLY recommend it.

http://www.kisantech.com/view_produc...roduct=P115W-S

Ride Safe.

I've seen this company's website and it's not the easiest to navigate and pick the right components. I've read posts concerning turning the modulation on/off and I don't see how this works based on the website info I found, also there is a component called a daylight sensor. What is this for? I emailed the company and will update if I hear back.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:16 PM
tt_ksu
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
The extra two driving lights out front make a HUGE difference in whether people in cages pull out in front of you or not. After experiencing bikes both way, with and without, I won't ride without them. Bright lites even during the day irritate me so I wouldn't do that to others, even modulated.
+1 I've noticed a big difference since I've moved to a bike with the 3 lights in the front.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:30 PM
Ghosty
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

street glider, the daylight sensor is a strand of fiber optic wire attached to a photoelectric cell. When it is daylight the light is transmitted to the cell causing the modulator to function. When night falls and it becomes dark outside the fiber optic wire no longer transmits light and the cell shuts off the modulator. In other words the daylight sensor insures that the headlight modulator only functions during the daylight hours. If you ride into a tunnel or heavy shade the headlight stops modulating until you are back in the brighter light. When installing the sensor be sure to place it where the headlights of oncoming vehicles will not hit it. I do not have a modulator on my current bike but have had one on a previous bike and they do work.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:33 PM
erictolsma
6th Gear

I have a modulator but don't run it constantly. I flip it on when approaching a crossing with a waiting car, or when I see a car waiting to turn left. Also, as road captain when passing the group on the wrong side of the road.

I have no proof, but I am sure people notice me more when I switch it on. But apart from these circumstances, I don't like the flashing headlight and I would find it annoying if someone else ran them without reason...

Old 03-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

I just put one on my bike. I also put a LED brake light that flashes. There's no doubt they do the job intended.
www.comagination.com Is cheaper than most.

Quick Reply: SAFETY: Headlight Modulation - Yes or No?