General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SAFETY: Headlight Modulation - Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 01:11 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Has anybody here successfully added a modulator to their passing lights? My objective would be to leave the headlight alone and only modulate the passing lights.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:06 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,269 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by street_glider
What brand did you choose?
I want to say it was a Kriss, but it was installed 2 years ago and the bike was traded in about 6 months ago. It was a simple plug in. Pull the lamp, plug the modulator into the back and plug it all back into the receptacle. The daylight sensor was a small wire that I ran out the back of the headlight bucket and zip tied to a cable.

I was wrong before, someone mentioned it modulated the high beam. That was correct. It wasn't the low beam.

The mind goes first.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:43 AM
wolfshead1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can order a mod. stronger than single light one to use on your passing lights.You can also wire passing lights to be on full time with your modulator.

I know they help,will never be without one.I also have osculating brake light module.Never be without those either.If you have ever picked gravel out of your butt there is enough reason to have both.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:56 AM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a Signal Dynamics unit on my previous bike. Good unit that in addition to modulating the headlight, would blink faster when you honked the horn.

Do I think they are worthwhile? To the extent that if they stopped one person from hurting me - they are worthwhile.

Do I think they are better than say brighter headlight and having your driving lights wired to be on with hi-beam? In my opinion, there isn't a lot of difference. With my headlight modulating I have had 2 different people pull out in front of me and had an 18 wheeler decide to change lanes and push me off the road when I was passing him - well within his mirror range. Every opinion I have seen has been based on anecdotal evidence that they notice someone notice them and I saw that also with my modulator. However, I also see that same reaction without a modulator. So, I'm going to say they aren't any better than fixing up your existing static system until someone comes up with a comprehensive study showing they do make a difference.

tda69 - You could easily wire the modulator to your passing lights but in my opinion it would not be particularly beneficial. I've seen modulators rigged up to run on stock low beam headlights and I thought they were weak. Unless you have upgraded your passing lights, I don't think modulating them would be particularly useful. However, maybe replacing the passing lights with yellow bulbs and using one of those modulators for a twin headlight bike that alternates between the two lights would be interesting. May attract a bit of attention from the local constabulary though.

This is all just my opinion which, with a buck, will get you a cup of coffee. If you will feel better having a modulator - go for it. I do think that we many times put too much reliance on gadgets to try to change the behavior of other drivers and start to let our guard down - there will always be that one cell phone talking / soccer mom / old person / drunk / etc driver that doesn't see you that you need to remain vigalent for.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:28 PM
street_glider
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Good comments everyone...