General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SAFETY: Headlight Modulation - Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 09:18 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Something else I read today on one of the websites was that some modules will also modulate the lights for 2-5 seconds when the horn is honked. Kinda of a neat feature. The photocell prevents the modulator from working at night, unless the horn is used.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:23 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't care for the headlight modulator---don't care if anyone else uses it or not. I will not be installing one on anything I ride.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:32 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Good thread gentlemen. I think I will be ordering two of these devices very soon. Thanks for all of the info!

Old 03-22-2009, 09:35 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

I agree they do get attention. I have never considered one, but it might have prevented a crash I had one night with a left turner. That was on a Gold Wing that had only one headlight. I have no problem with the Ultra and all three lights going.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:46 PM
street_glider
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems that when I was a kid, I'd see bikes and almost all of them had modulators. Were they standard equipment at one time, or just more popular?

Old 03-22-2009, 09:53 PM
bcox
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I personally don't like them at all. It's not so much that they are annoying but I think they cause a little confusion. Sometimes I think that the guy with the modulating headlights are flashing his lights to let me go. I would think that the guys with the modulating headlights would say that more people turn in front of them or cut them off more than without the headlight modulator. I would much rather use my high beam during the day than have someone mistake me for giving them the "go ahead". Just my .02

Old 03-22-2009, 09:58 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Toypuller
My wife doesn't have one on her current bike, but she did on her last one.

There is no doubt that people will do a double take as you approach them.

Some driver's took it as a "get out of the way" flash and got PO'd. We also had more than one pull up beside us at a light and tell us there was something wrong with her lights.

They are more common on the crotch rockets around here than Harleys, but if she wanted to install one again I would.

The daylight sensor worked like a charm. It would only flash in daylight and would go steady at night. The flash only works on low beam so going to a solid light is just a flip of the switch.
I can't vouch for all types but mine is wired to the high beam, not the low beam. If you want to turn it off during the day you just switch to low beam and you have a continuous light instead of modulated. As with all the others, the photo sensor turns it off at night and your hi/low works as normal.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:23 PM
street_glider
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 03-22-2009, 10:40 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Seems like overkill to me. I mean, yes I could put flashing lights on my bike, paint it canary yellow, and wear a lime green traffic vest. Hell I could even put a light on top of my helmet:

But when do you say enough is enough and just accept the risk inherent to riding on top of two wheels in a world of 4 wheelers

Old 03-22-2009, 11:02 PM
lviguy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the Kriss headlight modulator on my 08 RKC, first mod I put on the bike in 10/08. Plug and play install, took 5 mins. Light sensor should be pointed at the road, it measures reflected light, and controls auto shut off of the modulator at dusk and auto on at dawn. Modulates when brights are selected during daylight only.

I've had a couple of people pull over (for a red bike!), I've been told by people they spotted my bike riding all the way across Death Valley. I've seen the reaction of cagers who might have pulled out in front of me as they saw the modulator. It is attention getting. I've had complaints from cagers, and dozens of people warning me my headlight's 'broken'. That means I am being seen, and that's why I bought it. It's equivalent to the people who tell me my cage's lights are still on after I park it.

I just ordered BrightAssLight's BAL-1 and will set it up for flash and then solid on braking. My Lincoln LS has the same feature as standard OEM equipment on the high mounted brake light. Since Detroit can put it on my cage, I can put it on my ride.

Funny how many folks on this board say they don't want modulators or flash and then solid brake lights, but 10-1 they have changed exhaust pipes and claim loud pipes save lives. I live in LV, with folks driving around with their windows up, stereos cranked up and A/C running who can't hear loud pipes. I will take measures to make sure they see me. $110 for the modulator, $210 for the BAL-1. How much is your life, health and bike worth????

Quick Reply: SAFETY: Headlight Modulation - Yes or No?