General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SAFETY: Headlight Modulation - Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 03:55 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

check it out with your State first, some states they are illegal..

Old 03-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by electaRICK
check it out with your State first, some states they are illegal..
Head light modulators are 50 state legal. Now, flashing brake lights is a different story.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Savagehenry
Tourer

Originally Posted by Trock
Head light modulators are 50 state legal. Now, flashing brake lights is a different story.

I wonder what is the legal difference between a flashing brake light modulator and tapping the brakes a few times while stopping? I recall in driver's ed class (in the 80s) that tapping the brakes on your car was recommended for rearward visibility.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:42 PM
firefighter3666
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd guess the law views the brake light modulator to be in violation of laws restricting the use of red flashing lights. An attempt to limit the use of certain colors of flashing lights to the appropriate emergency service. I don't personally agree with this interpretation of the law, but I do support preventing the misuse of emergency lights for obvious reasons.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Savagehenry
I wonder what is the legal difference between a flashing brake light modulator and tapping the brakes a few times while stopping? I recall in driver's ed class (in the 80s) that tapping the brakes on your car was recommended for rearward visibility.
Yes your right, I copied that from my state handbook just in case. The lights only flash 3 times twice and go solid. It would be hard to confuse it with a emergence vehicle.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:40 PM
05 HD Deluxe
Tourer

I don't have a modulator yet. I am seriously considering one though.

I have been leaning towards this one.

http://www.kriss.com/harleymod.php

Old 03-22-2009, 07:04 PM
billfitt
Cruiser

Just to add my 2 cents. I have one on my bike and it was the first thing I got when my wife got hers. It may irate some but I've seen drivers do a double take when they see it so I know they see me. Here is the one I got it has worked for years now. www.comagination.com

Old 03-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Skivvy9r
Tourer
Default Low-Beam Install?

Originally Posted by billfitt
Just to add my 2 cents. I have one on my bike and it was the first thing I got when my wife got hers. It may irate some but I've seen drivers do a double take when they see it so I know they see me. Here is the one I got it has worked for years now. www.comagination.com
Like many manufacturers of modulators, comagination's product is made for hi-beam install. I'd hate to give up my passing lights to gain the modulator. Has anyone installed the comagination product on their low-beam? Better, would anyone care to share the install details for modulating the passing lights? Thanks!

Old 03-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,269 Likes on 1,582 Posts

My wife doesn't have one on her current bike, but she did on her last one.

There is no doubt that people will do a double take as you approach them.

Some driver's took it as a "get out of the way" flash and got PO'd. We also had more than one pull up beside us at a light and tell us there was something wrong with her lights.

They are more common on the crotch rockets around here than Harleys, but if she wanted to install one again I would.

The daylight sensor worked like a charm. It would only flash in daylight and would go steady at night. The flash only works on low beam so going to a solid light is just a flip of the switch.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:50 PM
street_glider
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Toypuller
My wife doesn't have one on her current bike, but she did on her last one.

There is no doubt that people will do a double take as you approach them.

Some driver's took it as a "get out of the way" flash and got PO'd. We also had more than one pull up beside us at a light and tell us there was something wrong with her lights.

They are more common on the crotch rockets around here than Harleys, but if she wanted to install one again I would.

The daylight sensor worked like a charm. It would only flash in daylight and would go steady at night. The flash only works on low beam so going to a solid light is just a flip of the switch.
What brand did you choose?

Quick Reply: SAFETY: Headlight Modulation - Yes or No?