General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in South Korea

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:54 PM
Electra1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was stationed in Osan back in 85 - 86. If you were not an E6 or above you could not have a privetly own vehicle off base. Made the trip many times to Seoul and rented many bikes while there. Ran the back roads and rice fields for miles on only a few bucks a day. I would never take my own bike over there. Not sure, but how does your insurance coverage hold up in a place like South Korea? I would rent and keep the scoot back in the states with someone that will store it for you.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:47 AM
Kilo6
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the feedback gents. Since I posted this thread I've been living, and riding my RG, in Yongsan, Seoul, for over a year. Yeah the Koreans aren't very good drivers so you just got to keep your head on a swivel and drive aggressively. Otherwise, South Korea, outside of Seoul, is a great place to ride. I'm riding to Sokcho before the end of Nov and I have a friend in the UNC who's setting up the ride into the DMZ. I like living in South Korea but there is nothing better than the open roads in America. Remember that when your cruising down the highway and just enjoying the ride. Ride safe brothers.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:56 AM
Kilo6
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Electra1
... how does your insurance coverage hold up in a place like South Korea?
Insurance is not a problem. Funny story. USAA would not cover me in the US but they will provide bike coverage in South Korea. I have no idea why and didn't ask. Weird huh? I'm a good driver and rider with no tickets in perhaps 20 years.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:49 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Going to ride to the Z?

Up MSR 1 to Uijongbu, Tongduchon, Munsan, and then over the river? I did that trip in the back of a deuce a zillion times, both ways.

I spent time at Warrior Base, GP Collier, Panmunjom, before heading back to Casey. When I was "over the river," riding motorcycles was the farthest thing from my mind.

If you do go riding up there, post some pics. I'd love to see what it all looks like now.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:55 AM
TheMo
Cruiser

Sounds like you have riding in the ROK covered, glad to hear it. Be safe.

I was there in 92-93 at a USAF bombing range in the mountains near Taebek. The roads would have been amazing to ride, but the dead scooter riders or their outlines painted on the road definetly convinced me that it wasn't worth it. Seriously, I saw more dead bodies during one year and more blood on the roads then I thought possible. We were pretty far from decent civilization so that may have had something to do with it.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:59 PM
wrenchbender
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TheMo
Sounds like you have riding in the ROK covered, glad to hear it. Be safe.

I was there in 92-93 at a USAF bombing range in the mountains near Taebek. The roads would have been amazing to ride, but the dead scooter riders or their outlines painted on the road definetly convinced me that it wasn't worth it. Seriously, I saw more dead bodies during one year and more blood on the roads then I thought possible. We were pretty far from decent civilization so that may have had something to do with it.
I was out once with a bunch of friends riding in Kangwon-do once between Wonju and Seokcho on the coast and at the Gas station right across the street in a very slight curve two old korean dudes hit each other head on both on scooters on the far median of the street. How the **** to you do something like that? the curve was like 10 degrees. Anyway, both died instantly on the spot.