General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maine Costal Tour - suggestions, please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 06:38 AM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Maine Costal Tour - suggestions, please.

We are planning a 10 day ride from NY to Maine this July. Plan on two days in Bar Harbor, after that we are open. We would like to spend a good deal of time riding the coast, perhaps spend a day or two in New Brunswick or Nova Scotia and then come back through northern Maine, across Vermont and back to NY.

I would appreciate any advice from locals or anyone who has done a similar ride. Particularly, we are looking for nice roads, places to see, etc.

Thanks.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:14 AM
gregwaa
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JB.Google Motorcycleroads.US

They have all states outlined with all kinds of roads and sights to see,Im in Portland Maine and altho i have not done any riding yet(Got new Ultra in Nov,)I have looked some of the routes out on line and looks pretty helpful.
My g/f did an extended trip thru Nova Scotia years back and she said it was one of the best trips she had ever taken.
Give me a shout ill show ya around the Portland area,
Just a word of caution tho,Not to scare ya But rt 1 up the coast is a great ride, lots of places to eat and see, But traffic is a BIT&^,
Enjoy and ride safe.

Attached Thumbnails Maine Costal Tour - suggestions, please.-dsc00517-1-399x266-.jpg   Maine Costal Tour - suggestions, please.-dsc00520-1-.jpg   Maine Costal Tour - suggestions, please.-dscn0058.jpg  
Old 03-22-2009, 10:31 AM
BWLucky13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Maine coast is really cut up. You can ride a lot on the coastal highway and not see any coastline, but see loads of slow traffic. My favorite hangout is the Camden and Rockport area. Keep your travel plans modest and avoid big mileage plans along the coast. I would suggest exploring a short section of the coast and taking some long rides directly inland from that home base. So, my advice is to do just the opposite of what you are planning to do. But, no matter how you travel, Maine is a great place in the summer. The locals are right,"God summers in Camden", and he has lots of company with several heads of state usually riding in the harbor sometime during the season.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:43 PM
DMcBiker
Cruiser

Good choice for a tour, the coast of Maine and New Brunswick are fantastic scenery. The roads on the other hand are not so great. Maine roads are better than New Brunswick, but not by much. Coastal route 1 in Maine is the way to go, lots of nice places to see along the way. Once you cross into Canada you will be in St. Stephen, nice little town but the real gem is St. Andrews about 20 minutes away. PM me if you would like more info on New Brunswick, or Nova Scotia.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:49 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

JB,, where ya from... I'm near the St. Law River. (1/2 hr.)

if the roads are anything like they are in Quebec,, STAY AWAY!!

If ya never spent time around Lake Placid,,, DO IT!!

Old 03-22-2009, 04:12 PM
vtnightster
Tourer

Rt 1 can be a great ride.
check out Old Orchard Beach, Pompham? Beach is the best, Bar Harbor, Camden, Rockport, Bucksport. Arcadia National Park is a must see.
Head back to NY on rt 2 or 302.
Avoid North Conway unless you like outlet malls.
In NH, Crawford Notch, Pinkham Notch, Bear Notch and Franconia Notch all great rides.
Wilkens Harley in Barre Vt, been around since like the 40's, good people.
Rt 100 in between Rutland and Waterbury is a "gotta" ride.
Take a ferry out of Burlington and head to Lake Placid.
How many weeks you planning again?

Old 03-22-2009, 04:49 PM
Curlybill
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

+1 on Rt1. The futher North you go, the less the traffic will be.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:34 PM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

VTnightster has mapped out a great route to see the area. If you go to Nova Soctia ride the Cabot Trail it should not be missed.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:32 PM
jskelington
Road Captain

Bar Harbor itself is cool but really congested in the summer. You can do all the touristy crap there tho. Acadia Nat Park is good riding especially the Park Loop rd. It's 2 lanes and all mostly 1 way traffic and is seriously scenic. (Lotta Ocean) Also you can ride up cadilac mountain which is flat out awsome on a bike. If your on Mt Dessert Isle anyway I'd make the trip to northeast harbor and find sargent drive on a map or just ask a local. Sargent Drive is one of the prettiest stretches of road anyplace. It ain't overly long but very pretty.
If you want some more open road with less traffic get off Mt Dessert Isle and head back to Ellsworth and get on Rt1. It's a big loop that will take you thru Machias, to Lubec around to East-port then on to Calais. At Calais you can get onto Rt 9 that will take you past my house in Eddington (honk) and into Bangor where they have A harley Shop. (Central Me HD) Rt 1 is a great ride, lotta open rd cool places to stop and rt 9's wide open.
I live near Bangor, drop me a pm if I can be of any assist.

peace

Old 03-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Slackerzinc
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Fundy National Park is a must see.. Hopewell rocks etc.. All within 2 hours of the Maine/New Brunswick border!

Quick Reply: Maine Costal Tour - suggestions, please.