General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maine Costal Tour - suggestions, please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 08:34 PM
PRguy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your going across So. Vt route 9 from Bennington and right across NH is a nice ride. There is also a beautiful piece of rt 1A that goes along the coast of NH just north of Hampton beach through the Rye beach area, runs right along the ocean.Its only about 10 miles long but we loved it. If you cross NH further north you need to go across route 112 " the kancamagus highway" its awesome! dont miss it. As far as Maine goes if you ride the southern part of route 1 be prepared for lots of traffic in July. (We were riding up through there last summer and by the time we got to Wells we had enough of the stop and go so we hopped on the interstate and took that until we got above Portland.)If you go

off of route 1 in Cooks Corner and take route 24 all the way out to Bailey Island that is a really nice spot, great little place to eat called Cooks Lobster House, and beautiful views from Lands End, also from the Damariscotta area further north you can ride down that peninsula to Pemaquid point light house. Also anywhere going north or south on route 100 in Vermont is nice. Just a few suggestions.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:40 PM
PRguy
1st Gear

If your going across So. Vt route 9 from Bennington and right across NH is a nice ride. There is also a beautiful piece of rt 1A that goes along the coast of NH just north of Hampton beach through the Rye beach area, runs right along the ocean.Its only about 10 miles long but we loved it. If you cross NH further north you need to go across route 112 " the kancamagus highway" its awesome! dont miss it. As far as Maine goes if you ride the southern part of route 1 be prepared for lots of traffic in July. (We were riding up through there last summer and by the time we got to Wells we had enough of the stop and go so we hopped on the interstate and took that until we got above Portland.)If you go

off of route 1 in Cooks Corner and take route 24 all the way out to Bailey Island that is a really nice spot, great little place to eat called Cooks Lobster House, and beautiful views from Lands End, also from the Damariscotta area further north you can ride down that peninsula to Pemaquid point light house. Also anywhere going north or south on route 100 in Vermont is nice. Just a few suggestions.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:09 AM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great info and lots of help!! Thanks all!!

Old 03-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you crank up the magnification on the on-line maps you'll find little roads that run the coastline all the way up. Personally, I'm only a fan of route 1 as a way to get to route 1A. Whenever 1A splits off 1, take it. If you can find little coastline roads take them. I love riding up the coast from Salsbury MA on up. That little piece of NH coastline is a great ride.

Be advised that people from MA and NH take speed limits as the lower limit. People from Maine drive 5 mph under the limit at all times (or maybe it's just when an "outah-statah" is following them.) If you can't take it, get on the Maine Turnpike.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Franconia Notch is great. US1 through Maine is nice, but IMHO Hwy 9 from Calais to Bangor is absolutely stunning. In NY, both 28 & 30 are beautiful roads with lots of accommodations. Old Orchard Beach isn't much to sniff at - it's basically a main drag packed with cheap motels & fat tourists.

I go out east, both Canada & USA each year - this is year #11 for me going to Cape Breton Island. I found the western side of New Brunswick & Nova Scotia to be quite boring. How far into eastern Canada do you plan to go? I know of a few routes further east that are quite scenic.

Cannon

Old 03-25-2009, 11:52 AM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks. I just added RT-9 from Calais to the trip on your recommendation. It looks like we will probably stay in the US, as we just don't have enough time to ride out and back to PEI. With the park and RT-9 added, I think we have a good idea now. Thanks everyone!

Old 03-25-2009, 07:33 PM
hdlowryder
Tourer

+1 on everything vtnightster said. The routes he pointed out are all excellent and I highly recommend them.