General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After much thought I decided to...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:32 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Shovel Die Hard
i did the 1k on my 05.

and i do all the service on my shovel, is that gonna affect the warranty?
If it's a HD, you're probably outta luck....but if it's one ya bought at Home Depot, yer good!

Old 03-21-2009, 10:38 PM
Shovel Die Hard
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gs34doc
If it's a HD, you're probably outta luck....but if it's one ya bought at Home Depot, yer good!
well my shovelhead is hd, so you're saying the warranty is screwed. crap. but i just remembered, i have a broken shovel in the shed that needs to go back to home depot, thanks for the reminder

Old 03-21-2009, 10:44 PM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I haven't taken my bike back to the dealership for service at all. I enjoy doing the work. You don't have to be overly mechanically inclined to pull it off. Just have to be able to understand basic instructions from a shop manual, and then come here to the forum for questions. It DOES help to have the proper tools. Oh, and don't get all frustrated when you buy parts from HD and have trouble with the instructions included. That's pretty much par for the course. They are notoriously bad.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:28 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Crewdog151
While I respect your opinion, I did everything a moco tech would do (probably more) and I know that its all done correctly! That piece of mind AND not paying upwards of $400 bucks for something I can do better myself is, to me, in fact a NO-BRAINER!!!!! Also, I know HD pretty well and I believe in the product they produce so Im not expecting any major issue. If I do, and they want to void the warranty, Hell, thats ok too. Its just money!! And im saving enough to pay for it!! Thanks for posting and I really do see your point!
I agree 100%...

Not to beat a dead horse but if anything mechanical breaks while in warranty HD HAS to prove that what you did yourself caused the damage....There are federal acts that protect the consumer.....

Of course if you only refilled the engine with 2 quarts of oil and it happens to seize, you may have some serious problems unless your smart enough to realize your screw up and add the correct amount before taking the bike back to the dealer.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:08 AM
rickb
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Got a buddy that took his in for the 1k service they found a few problems with his bike and the dealer extended his warenty from the date he did the 1k service becuse of it. It was only about 4 months but still I thought it was cool that the dealer did it. So I always have the 1st one done at the dealer than I do the following.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Xuallus
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm probably going to let the dealership do the first service on my bones.. Still have to read up on everything it requires for springers. After that though, it's all mine. I have tools, a garage and the aptitude. I'd rather put the labor monies into paint or something

Old 03-22-2009, 04:13 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

my good friend, dealer, said if thier fingers arn't in it once in a while,, kiss warranty good by!!

Old 03-22-2009, 05:40 PM
abate1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you have a computer make a Excel sheet or other format and log it there, print and you are done!

Old 03-22-2009, 05:47 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by electaRICK
my good friend, dealer, said if thier fingers arn't in it once in a while,, kiss warranty good by!!
Your dealer is FOS......I can't believe riders fall for this BS....I hear it from people I ride with and just have to shake my head in disbelief.

Again, unless it can be proven that what you added to the bike (oil, pipes, fuel management, etc) caused the problem, they cannot legally deny you warranty coverage. They may initially try but this act should prevail.....

http://www.free-lemon-law-guide.com/...n-moss-act.php

Old 03-22-2009, 08:35 PM
Crewdog151
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to tlb...I now have a spread sheet and check list. And I havent said the dealer wont get their fingers on my ride... Just only when "I" need them too. Thanks to all who posted and the real truth is this....I bought a BIKE, not a warranty! That old saying still rings true gentlemen....If it has **** or tires its gonna give you trouble at some point, no matter who's doing the wrenching! And their both gonna dang sure cost ya some $$$$$.

Thanks again TLB!!!!!

Quick Reply: After much thought I decided to...