General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Pipes...An observation

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Loud Pipes...An observation

ORIGINAL: mrghos

I have always thought that loud pipes saved lives also. Now that is a pretty general statement but IMHO, if having louder pipes keeps someone from turning in front of me, then they have done their job.

I had V&H's longshots and no baffles on my 99 FXSTB and I chuckled to myself every time I saw someone look at me with disgust as I scooted by.

The operative words are... THEY LOOKED AT ME...

The true answer may never be known...[sm=icon_blah.gif]

Yea they look at you in disgust cause you infringed on their cell phone conversation while driving

Old 04-03-2007, 04:08 PM
Aces N Eights

I don't have time to read all of the posts before I add my 2 cents so here goes:
I can recite too many occassions where my loud a$$ pipes got the attention I needed (blind spots in traffic, in turning lanes, ect.
As for my neighbors, THEY are not the ones riding the damn bike on the streets with cell phone drivers, make-up artists, DJs, ect. I am. If my pipes are too loud so be it. I have a Harley and don't care who hears it as long as the fact that it IS loud gets me home to my family. From what I have read, it sounds like maybe the loud pipe gang should be louder in legislation as well as on the streets.

07HC

Old 04-03-2007, 04:27 PM
GOSTAZ
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take it easy coming in or going out of residential areas in the morning or evening. Never had anyone complain. My bud comes over on his Big Dog sometimes, and he too takes it mellow. Never a complaint. Guess I am lucky.

I do think the fact that my bike makes a little noise is a good thing. People in cars around here are incredibly stupid, distracted, and unskilled. I need them to realize that I am near them. Bump into me in a car? Whatever. Bump into my bike, and I am going to the hospital or the morgue. I don't want to do that.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:38 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

My feelings are that if a person so desires to run straight pipes on their new rides,then go for it.Eventually,the move to mufflers will prevail.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:36 PM
rockenrobert
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can control some of the noise with rpms and clutch. But most times I likes to let them know I'am going on down the road.
rockenrobert
gotta see the world, it will only take a mintue