General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

orange HI-VIS vest...really??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 07:37 AM
H20DOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We got the Neon Green Shirts that the construction people wear. They are comfortable and do not look all that bad. When the weather is overcast or the roads are very windy. We tend to put them on. We also have the vest, to wear over our jackets if it is cold outside. I guess that they may not look to cool. But so many times you hear someone say “But officer I did not see him” I just want to make sure that they do. In town we do not wear them. We had them when we were in Sturgis and people really liked them, In fact we saw a number of the neon green shirts with the imprinting” Do you see me now A$$hole”.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:44 AM
hyperfocal
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thank that there is a time and place for everything. A time to wear the vest and a time you don't. At night, during rush hour traffic or anytime you feel it would be safe to wear one. I probable would not wear the vest if I was with a group of bikes riding around and having fun.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:11 AM
GreenRK
Cruiser

There was an elderly guy that rode a Honda Pacific Coast in our town. He always wore a bright orange helmet and vest. I have to say that was the first thing my eyes saw when he was around. I see the dealer has some new jackets that are bright orange that look pretty good. I've been considering one.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:27 AM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by petemac
Might help a little, but not enough to warrant wearing one IMO. The bigger problem is people not paying attention, talking on cell phones and the worst of all......text messaging while driving!
Yep...passed a li'l gal on my ride home from work yesterday...she was pokin along in the left lane, textin away...wouldn't have seen me if I had a flashin neon sign on top of my helmet.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:05 AM
hyperfocal
Road Master

Originally Posted by GreenRK
There was an elderly guy that rode a Honda Pacific Coast in our town. He always wore a bright orange helmet and vest. I have to say that was the first thing my eyes saw when he was around. I see the dealer has some new jackets that are bright orange that look pretty good. I've been considering one.
That's the one I bought.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:39 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
I don't care what anyone else wears to ride in but I am never going to wear a hi-vis vest that makes me look like a rolling traffic cone.
Originally Posted by donr101395
I have to wear one when I go on base because of the "contrasting color" requirement, but it stays in the work shop if I'm not going on base. If they can't see a 700lbs motorcycle, 7" headlight and hear the pipes. looking like a traffic cone isn't going to help.
Beings as how you gents have a li'l aversion to wearing a vest, that makes you look like a 'traffic cone'. Maybe I could interest you in our 'new' helmet. THEN the vest will NOT make you look like a 'traffic cone'.

I have to come down on the side of the folks that say the prob is NOT "OUR" visibility, BUT in the lack of driver's ability to drive.

Ever see those GIANT dual tire skid marks? Some azz pulled out in front of a 40,000#+, chrome, painted, snortin', HOUSE on wheels, a 'semi'. IF they have no brains, no eyes and NO RESPECT for theyselves, to pull that off, I am hard pressed to believe that a 'colored vest' on an 800# scoot, is going to make a H*LL of a lot of diff. Will some notice?? Well of course, SOME will. BUT I believe those 'some', will see the scoot, to start with. The blind ones, will be blind, NO MATTER what we wear, OR the state does.
You jus' cannot fix TOOPID, or legislate respect.

They are jackazzes and idiots, and most will die that way. Sad, but true. I just hope they do not take any of us down with 'em.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

Originally Posted by 808BOB
Been riding for less than a year and bought the orange HD Hi-visibily vest to be "more visible" to cagers. I used it a lot when I first started riding but have been using it less and less because I just don't like the brightness of it and rather just use a long-sleeved tshirt to ride. The only other guys who I've seen wearing the hi-vis vests here are the military guys who HAVE TO wear it on base.

I've been keeping track of how many close calls I get with/without the orange jacket...with my unscientific study, it seemed to be pretty much the same...cagers are oblivious to us regardless. So finally, here's my question to you knowledgable people out there in harley cyberspace...

Do you guys/gals think that any type of HI-Visibility vest/jacket really helps those damn cagers from trying to kill us?!? Or should I just screw the orange and just use what I want?
I think it ranges from pointless to potentially dangerous. Reason being the idea behind the bright reflective clothing is to attempt to make yourself more visible to others on the premise that by seeing you, they are more apt to avoid plowing through you. You see now right there is where the theory breaks down . Relying on others to see you and therefor not violate your space, putting your safety in the hands of other drivers/motorists, is a really BAD idea. You have to ride as if all the m'fers out there are TRYING to hit you, and ride under THAT premise. Make yourself IMPOSSIBLE to hit. Don't rely on them to see you, just asking for trouble. My theory works. I got the years and the MILES to back it up.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:57 AM
hyperfocal
Road Master

Originally Posted by Eyespy
I think it ranges from pointless to potentially dangerous. Reason being the idea behind the bright reflective clothing is to attempt to make yourself more visible to others on the premise that by seeing you, they are more apt to avoid plowing through you. You see now right there is where the theory breaks down . Relying on others to see you and therefor not violate your space, putting your safety in the hands of other drivers/motorists, is a really BAD idea. You have to ride as if all the m'fers out there are TRYING to hit you, and ride under THAT premise. Make yourself IMPOSSIBLE to hit. Don't rely on them to see you, just asking for trouble. My theory works. I got the years and the MILES to back it up.
I wear the vest, but I agree with you. Everyone on the road is trying to hit me and I am doing my best to avoid them.

Ride Safe!!

Old 03-19-2009, 10:31 AM
firefighter3666
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

808Bob - Yeah, this department issued the jackets right out of the box and gave us insignia to sew on if we wanted. I had a seamstress use velcro for the patches, lets me meet uniform conventions while working and ride unidentified while off. I found it somewhat amusing that at Daytona, all the motor cops were wearing the same jacket.

Always assume the idiots on the road don't see you. They don't see me while driving a fire truck with flashing lights, two sirens, and an air horn. I know they don't see me on the bike.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:33 AM
nshrock
Cruiser

I doubt that vest will do much good unless you're riding your motorcycle around the woods during deer season.

In fact I might lose control while laughing and accidentally run over you.

Quick Reply: orange HI-VIS vest...really??