General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

orange HI-VIS vest...really??

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 10:17 PM
firefighter3666
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Working for the fire department, I spend too much time working on the side of the road. Due to changes in standards, we are now required to wear an ANSI Class 2 Vest over our turnout gear. It's not a pretty look, but it is required.

The department I work part-time for issued everyone the jacket pictured. It's ugly, it hurts to look at without sunglasses, and it's definitely not gonna get you laid. In my case it also happens to be gore-tex, free, and conveniently large enough to fit over my riding leathers. I've been using it as rain gear on the bike for a while, and people see me (how could they not). Now, I don't ride with a windshield, and they probably assume I'm a cop until I pass them.... but it fog, snot, and rain.... I'm wearing it.

Regarding the vests, all too often they are only going to provide visibility from the side and rear. If they hold up on the slide, they might keep you from being run over after that idiot separates you from your bike.

Attached Thumbnails orange HI-VIS vest...really??-large_69.jpg  
Old 03-18-2009, 10:52 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The only time I'd wear one is if going deer hunting. However, with today's more politically correct society that abhors anything like dead animals and other goulish things, it would probably be inadvisable for me to drag it home behind a bike. So it's doubtful I'd EVER wear one.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:54 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

If you think it'll keep ~1~ cage from running over you...wear it. I'd be more worried about my peace-of-mind than what anyone on the forum said.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:35 AM
tom071200c
Road Master

I don't think I'll ever wear the vest. I have been thinkin about getting the safety green hooded pull over the dealers sell (looks like something a construction worker wears). Looks a little better than a vest and makes you more visible.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:41 AM
pistole
Tourer

- perhaps these reflective vests are most effective
at night.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:28 AM
808BOB
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by firefighter3666
Working for the fire department, I spend too much time working on the side of the road. Due to changes in standards, we are now required to wear an ANSI Class 2 Vest over our turnout gear. It's not a pretty look, but it is required.
I work for the fire department here and yes we are required to wear the ANSI Class 2 vest over our turnouts too. We also got issued almost the SAME jacket that you've got pictured except ours don't have any black on em, we use em for medical alarms. Good idea about using it for riding in the rain. Ours have a big "HFD" printed on the back so I'm sure I'd get busted by someone if they saw me riding around with my medical jacket on.

Thanks for the input brother, and stay safe out there.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:52 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Might help a little, but not enough to warrant wearing one IMO. The bigger problem is people not paying attention, talking on cell phones and the worst of all......text messaging while driving!

Old 03-19-2009, 05:57 AM
ranman469
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have one for my morning ride in. i think it will help beeing seen by people wakeing up or putting on their make up. if one person sees me ,it was worth it.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:00 AM
DaltonHD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not convinced that much of the "I didn't see the bike' claims are accurate. I think it is more of a matter of the cager not percieving the bike as a threat on a sub-concious level.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:10 AM
hyperfocal
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not much time, I am at work. I wear the Harley issue vest. I love it, people do notice. I believe some people mistake me as a police officer.

Ride Safe and most of all be visible.

Quick Reply: orange HI-VIS vest...really??