General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

orange HI-VIS vest...really??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJfxdwg
If they don't see a 800lb bike with a headlight on it you could spray paint the whole damn thing orange and it would make minimal difference. People just don't pay attention. Hell I've seen people pull right into a semi, not exactly hard to miss those.
/agree

I can't count on both hands and 2 feet how many times an idiot 4 wheeler pulled out in front of me when I was driving truck(and this was an 80,000 pound truck with a 52 foot trailer don't tell me they didn't see me they just didnt give a fck) also happens in my car too

So I think some people are just born retarded and no matter what you drive or ride or wear they still aren't going to pay attention and think of others when they whip out into traffic

Old 09-17-2010, 04:08 PM
EP50
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Fonzie never wore one. He did okay. I dont think I'm going to get one. I will post a follow-up if I change my mind

Old 09-17-2010, 05:29 PM
doghair
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EP50
Fonzie never wore one. He did okay. I dont think I'm going to get one. I will post a follow-up if I change my mind
What would Fonzie do. Hmmm ... maybe I need to rethink this.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:48 PM
HBomb74
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

a vest can't hurt. Sheet, how many times have you seen a cager driving with a police car, ambulance, or fire truck driving code 3 right behind them with siren and air horn blaring away. Then the ignorant cager says, "I didn't even see/hear it!" The good majority of people are just oblivious to everyone else. Don't you hate it when that one lady in the grocery/department store will stop right in the middle of the aisle and walk right in front of your cart or block everyone else like you weren't even there? That's who's driving on the streets as well.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:03 PM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well it is coming to that time of year were people in my area do not go outside the house without Orange on. I don't know why but we have what we call "Basers" in my area that seem to think that anything moving is a deer and they tend to shoot at it. That and it is harvest and there are tons and tons of farm trucks on the road with people driving them that should not be driving a car muchless a truck. There should be laws that say people must atleast have a class B liscense to drive a truck no matter who owns it.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:50 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmitchellof PG
I'm sure it makes you more visible. That's the reason the military requires it.
I read where just wearing a white helmet versus a black one, makes a rider a lot more visible to cages. I would think wearing a lighter color jacket or T-shirt would also help.
I have 3 black riding jackets and a black helmet. When I have to replace a jacket or helmet, next time I intend on getting a lighter color.
I have been riding many years because I enjoy it. I could care less what the fashion police think.
Tom
So because the military requires it, it must be better? With all due respect, the military ain't always right.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:32 PM
hddan502
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
Nope. I'm saying if they can't see an 800 lb bike with a 200 lb rider, with a headlight blazing into their face, an orange vest isn't going to make them see you either.

But... just to take your "logic" a bit further - people fail to see a big, fluorescent yellow Firetruck, which has many flashing lights, and is also covered in massive amounts of reflective material (if the paint itself isn't reflective). Is it truly your opinion these people *would* notice a biker because he was wearing a 2 foot square bright material?
Have to agree with this all day long. I have to add that if people would slow down to at least 10 or 15 mph at stop signs and lights the world would be a better place.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:32 PM
lfmn16
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 808BOB
Do you guys/gals think that any type of HI-Visibility vest/jacket really helps those damn cagers from trying to kill us?!? Or should I just screw the orange and just use what I want?
There is no one majic thing that works in all cases. Hi-Vis is just one more thing that helps. I didn't think loud pipes helped until a co-worker (non-rider) said he almost pulled into someone, but at the last minute heard his pipes.

Defensive driving is the best thing to do to keep yourself safe, but every little bit helps!