General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

orange HI-VIS vest...really??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 02:28 PM
VsTheWorld
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
I'm not saying it's safer to do so, I'm saying it's not any less safe. I'm saying an orange vest does nothing to add to your safety.

so in your judgement black leather is just as visible to human vision as orange hi-vis / bright colors

ok

(I had more to say, and responded to your longer post point by point... twice.... but HDF/internet issues kept deleting the post and I'm not retyping it all a 3rd time)

Old 09-17-2010, 02:36 PM
GrimmRider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VsTheWorld
so in your judgement black leather is just as visible to human vision as orange hi-vis / bright colors

ok

(I had more to say, and responded to your longer post point by point... twice.... but HDF/internet issues kept deleting the post and I'm not retyping it all a 3rd time)
Figures, you're a cop.

Okay Mr. Police Officer, why don't motorcycle cops wear one of your so called SAFETY VESTS vs. a dark blue or black uniform? I mean "if" they work so well and all.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:54 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by QehQeh
This may be off topic but - I question the meaning of "single vehicle accidents." Does this include accidents where a bike crashed, avoiding a collision with a car, and the only vehical damaged was the bike?
In most cases, yes. Unless the other vehicle stops and remains at the scene, and the driver admits to creating a situation which the biker needed to avoid, there is really no way of proving or knowing another vehicle was involved. In some cases, the driver who caused the accident is sufficiently clueless as to even be aware they caused an accident.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:56 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by VsTheWorld

ok
Nope. I'm saying if they can't see an 800 lb bike with a 200 lb rider, with a headlight blazing into their face, an orange vest isn't going to make them see you either.

But... just to take your "logic" a bit further - people fail to see a big, fluorescent yellow Firetruck, which has many flashing lights, and is also covered in massive amounts of reflective material (if the paint itself isn't reflective). Is it truly your opinion these people *would* notice a biker because he was wearing a 2 foot square bright material?

Last edited by MidnitEvil; 09-17-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:05 PM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I love these threads. I was in a minor fender bender yesterday and the dude who turned left in front of me asked, where did you come from, I didn't see you. I was driving my Lincoln town car. If he can't see that big boat, he should not be driving.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:09 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GrimmRider
Figures, you're a cop.

Okay Mr. Police Officer, why don't motorcycle cops wear one of your so called SAFETY VESTS vs. a dark blue or black uniform? I mean "if" they work so well and all.
oh snap!!!

just kidding but good point, last i checked motor cops are pretty well blacked out in dark leathers and dark blue uniforms.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:12 PM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Well here's my story. Several years ago I was hit by a guy that ran a red light. He went by two lanes of STOPPED traffic to run the light, hit my front wheel and knocked me over, not much damage to myself but considerable damage to the bike. While we were on the side of the road, in a parking lot acutally, filling out the police paperwork ( that guy was hauled off in cuffs for outstanding warrants). We heard a screeeeech, BAM.... a lady had run into the back of a city bus. You know the kind, flashing red and orange lights, the size of a small house, takes up the whole lane. So if you aren't paying enough attention that you run into the back of a bus, then I am guessing an orange vest isn't going to make much difference.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:34 PM
IronhorseMP
Advanced

Granted, I'm one of those wearing a vest because of Army regulations, but I've seen enough accidents that I'll take the chance of looking like a human traffic cone if keeps a clueless cager from running into me. I will admit, though I've had a close call or two from crazy cagers, even with my vest.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Ghosteh
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Hot pink is the new black

Old 09-17-2010, 04:01 PM
VsTheWorld
Road Master

Originally Posted by GrimmRider
Figures, you're a cop.

to answer, see post #68

imo, the helmet color choice is the most visible item you can wear that will increase your visibility.

...why do you folks look for the one way to avoid collisions? There isn't just one

Quick Reply: orange HI-VIS vest...really??