General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley feelin the pinch

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 12:14 PM
chicanagirl
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Harley feelin the pinch

Harley Davidson is now cutting jobs as domestic sales plumet and many Harley owners default on their loans in these rough economic times. That is unfortunate but I have no doubt they will come roaring back. The company has been around more than 100 years and have been through rougher times than this.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Big Pig
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OLD News, they stated months ago they were going to lay-off

Old 03-17-2009, 12:19 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I seriously think they need to rethink their business model. Especially to combat these times. The days of K-Mart sized dealerships that offer little if any personalized service, are gone. Service needs to be re-energized, and attitudes require a serious adjustment. Many are living in the past. And it's a shame. Of course there are many great dealerships, with all the personalized touches, and a staff that always greets you by your first name as soon as you arrive, but they're in the minority, at least in my opinion. Just look at how many folks are buying from Zanotti, Chicago, and other dealers that offer 20% savings. We're all watching our budget, and discretionary income is getting smaller and smaller...

Old 03-17-2009, 02:17 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I too miss the old Mom and Pop Harley dealerships. I also am one of those that order parts online from Zanotti's for the savings. However, every time I go by my closest dealership there are between fifty and 100 bikes in for service or repairs. I don't think they can downsize to the good old everybody knows everybody days. They are just going to have to ride out these tough times just like everyone else. Auto dealerships all over town are consolidating and going from multiple dealership locations to a single location to cut expenses. Some HD shops may have to do the same.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:22 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
I too miss the old Mom and Pop Harley dealerships. I also am one of those that order parts online from Zanotti's for the savings. However, every time I go by my closest dealership there are between fifty and 100 bikes in for service or repairs. I don't think they can downsize to the good old everybody knows everybody days. They are just going to have to ride out these tough times just like everyone else. Auto dealerships all over town are consolidating and going from multiple dealership locations to a single location to cut expenses. Some HD shops may have to do the same.
I'm sure you're probably right, but geez I miss those days. We've got a pretty big shop here, and I'm always greeted by name when I roll in. It's nice. But I've been to those dealerships that act like they're doing you a huge favor just to say "hello".... It's a different world out there, and I guess I've got to learn to adjust to it.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:27 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Fortunately, the big dealership here continued to welcome and treat customers well but the increase in numbers of employees and the changeover of many of them makes it not as close and personal as in the past. The huge new building as compared to the old oil stained floors and lack of clothing sales clerks in the past just does not give you the same feeling however. Used to spend a fair amount of free time hanging out at the HD shop but not anymore. And so it goes.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:40 PM
mnewb1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
Fortunately, the big dealership here continued to welcome and treat customers well but the increase in numbers of employees and the changeover of many of them makes it not as close and personal as in the past. The huge new building as compared to the old oil stained floors and lack of clothing sales clerks in the past just does not give you the same feeling however. Used to spend a fair amount of free time hanging out at the HD shop but not anymore. And so it goes.
Man! You could be describing my local dealership.

They took over a run down Mom and Pop about 4 years ago in the old small cramped quarters and they were awesome. Now in the new big building with many new different employees and though the owners are still good guys, it is not the same place anymore.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:21 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I haven't been in a dealership in about 5 years. Between the internet including Ebay, and my indy, there just isn't a reason.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:51 PM
ronny c.
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

harley makes all the shell casings for the military, they also make the remote control spy plane you see in the army commercial. I heard but isnot confirmed that harley makes the patriot missile. i dont think they will be allowed to go out of buissness, the govt. needs them.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:21 PM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ronny c.
harley makes all the shell casings for the military, they also make the remote control spy plane you see in the army commercial. I heard but isnot confirmed that harley makes the patriot missile. i dont think they will be allowed to go out of buissness, the govt. needs them.
You're kidding ... right?

The Patriot is made by Raytheon Company.

That little spy plane is one of many unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) and chances are it's made by Lockheed-Martin, Boeing, or one of a dozen smaller companies that make those units. I believe the one you are referring to is the Predator, but I don't know which commercial you're referring to so I'm not sure. I do know the Predator has been around since the mid-90s and was used prominently in many recent campaigns. The Predator, by the way, was designed by General Atomics and manufactured under various contracts.

Of course, you could be referring to the General Atomics MQ-1C Warrior, which is an attack plane being released this year for use in Afghanistan and Iraq. The Warrior can carry up to 4 Hellfire missiles, so it's a powerful little beast.

Okay ... back to motorcycles ... I don't believe Harley has any significant Army or even government contracts ... and they certainly don't make the big ticket items like missiles or planes. The research and development budgets alone for companies like Lockheed-Martin, Boeing, Raytheon, etc., exceed the total profit of Harley, so it's a very different level of business.

Quick Reply: Harley feelin the pinch