General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neighbors who do not like motorcycles.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:44 PM
danielo
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess is that if indeed he ever was police officer,he was either fired or forced to resign,but no matter next time he breaks the law call and file a complaint.don't talk about it just do it.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:44 PM
vtwin1340
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the guy is mentally ill. Grandiosity like that is not normal behavior. I would put the legal wraith of hell upon him.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:53 PM
tripwire759
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts

I was a LEO and now a Bomb Tech. Get a restraining order on this guy. Lock the doors and if he starts shooting at ground hogs, call the police. Doesn't matter if he was a LEO or not he is still breaking the law. Don't start anything with him unless you have to defend yourself. This guy is not worth the time or the money it will take to get you out of trouble.

Now I travel a lot for work and my wife is proficient with the firearms that are left in the house when I leave. If that fails I have two very protective German Shepherds who will take over. I have had people knock on my door, hear my dogs, then walk away as I opened the door.

Guys like this **** me off.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:04 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Two schools of thought come to mind:

First...get an attorney and get a protection order since this guy has made verbal threats and has discharged firearms on the property. Get a video camera with a remote control and mount it where you film the idiot in action. Then build a case by documenting. Keep the doors locked. If the guy so much as looks at you call 911 and file another report. File a harrassment lawsuit against the guy. Go the legal route.

OR...if all of this is too much work...have the GF move out and rent the house to your local HA or Outlaws chapter for $100/month. Come back in a year and see how things are going... by that time the guy should be gone (one way or another) and the neighbors will be glad you are back.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:19 PM
murd
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's expecting you to be a biker.So, next time he enters the house, I want you to punch him in the throat andcall the authorities! Enough of this nonsense!

Old 03-17-2009, 10:22 PM
madcitycustom
Road Master

Yes, I have had something somewhat similar happen to me, but I shut them down cold. Last fall a neighbor complained about my motorcycle to management of the apartment complex I live in. Management told her there was nothing they could legally force me to do as long as I operated the motorcycle during the hours of 8:00 am to 10:00 pm, the non-quiet hours of the complex. However, they did place a note in my door notifying me of the complaint and asking me to change for the sake of the complaining tenant.

Well, wouldn't you know it. Three days later the tenant reported to management that I was out riding during the quiet hours and came into the underground garage and did more reving/riding in the garage at 11:45 pm on a Sunday night. Management sent me a letter saying I breached my lease.

In return I b!tched slapped management, sending them a letter back asking how I could have been riding my motorcycle in that garage 30 minutes after I pumped $60 worth of gas into my truck over 200 miles away. I gave them a copy of my gas receipt and told them to quit harrassing me with false accusations. I also told them that since I have proof the complaining tenant had already made stuff up, I was insulated against any future allegations made against me.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:38 PM
David The Hutt
Tourer

he walks into her house and you are "THINKING" of taking legal action? no question that you should call the cops. set up a recording hidden camera (not expensive) and catch him entering her house.

get a witness to certify any threats. have her file a restraining order (you can file one on anyone for little or no reason) and wait for him to violate it (usually a felony)

definately take action. he sounds crazy and potentially dangerous to her

Old 03-17-2009, 10:39 PM
oldbagr
Road Master

Originally Posted by Phlsphyguy
Thanks for the input! Right now, although I want to do something I can't mention here, I am playing it cool and planning my next step. Since he is an ex LEO in the town where he lives, I doubt going to the police will do anything. I have to step up a notch and contact the local magistrate to see if I can file harassment charges. Furthermore, I know that PA State Fish & Game officers have more arrest powers than the local police and I am going to pursue something with them for his unlawful hunting, discharging a weapon in a safety zone (within 150 yards of a dwelling) and possibly other offenses.

I don't want to do something that he can use against us, so I am treading very carefully.
Your approach is wise; don't let your emotions get you caught up in his game. You also should try to get some background on this guy; you may find that he was forced off the force or that he has a history of bullying women, etc. Also, have your girlfriend check with the neighbors to learn if he has been harassing others in the neighborhood. Good luck!

Old 03-17-2009, 10:46 PM
Butt Ugly
Cruiser

This neighbor sounds like major issues. I would think that the threats alone should be cause to report him to the authorities.
Probably there is as many that like motorcycles don't like them. That is what freedom is all about, but threats and trespassing are frowned upon in my neck of the woods.

I am the only one in my area with one and my next door neighbor is a sheriff deputy with a small child. I idle in and out of my place and I have asked him a couple times if any noise from the bike bothers his little one napping or sleeping. He has assured me that it doesn't bother anyone in his household. He might hate bikes, who knows, but he does know I try to keep it civil and we have no problems at all.

On the road, like most of you, I have been cut off and given what generally is little respect because of the motorcycle. I leave my road rage home though and just pass it off as they did not see me. We all know the feeling of that, but you cannot prove it was on purpose and I just give folks the benefit of the doubt and continue on. I might like to do something else, but you have to let common sense ride along with you when you are up on two wheels.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:47 PM
Bumbobee
Cruiser

I'm not from the states, but if I was that guy wouldn't be coming into my house anymore that's for sure. Play it smart and safe, with what he's doing and saying he should be behind bars.

Quick Reply: Neighbors who do not like motorcycles.