General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neighbors who do not like motorcycles.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 09:55 AM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Having read all the posts on this subject I am amazed at the number of people who wish to spend time in prison.

I own a little security company here in Ohio, and have ran into similar problems as this more than once over the years. In Ohio anyone entering your home unenvited is a class 1 felony burglary, even if you gave them a key. If you make a complaint to the local PD they have to follow up even if they do not end up filing charges to cover their own rears.

The solution to this is simple, change all door locks, get a security system, and install a modern closed circut camera system. A modern 3 camera system with a recording time limited DVR will run about $500.00 and is pretty simple to install yourself. Make sure the system is motion activated and has date and time stamps. I don't know about in PA, but I install a very basic alarm system that encludes 3 door contacts, 1 motion detector, 1 touch pad, and the centrol control unit for right at $500.00 and will monitor it for $24.95 per month. So with changing the locks this would end up costing around $1200.00 to $1300.00.

One important thing to remeber if you choose to install a camera system is that the laws on how they are used vary from state to state, for example in Ohio if they also record sound you must place signs stating that fact every so many feet and of a certain size. And if a camera is recording a neighbors property it can only do so if it also watching some thing on your property.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:06 AM
hagger
Banned
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Savagehenry
Tell me about it. Every single time the cops find a body bludgeoned by a pick-axe they come STRAIGHT to me.
LOL.

I think...

Old 03-21-2009, 10:20 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Don't waite TOO long to get the LAW involved in this situation! This S.O.B. is dangerous, especially for your GF! GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 03-21-2009, 03:39 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
Haven't read ALL the posts, but of the ones I DID read, this was the best by far!

Old 03-21-2009, 06:53 PM
cardoctor
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know in P.A. a restraining order includes giving up all your registered weapon. i would probaly mount a camera or two on the property with a video recorder . a pictures worth a thousand words.

JR

Old 03-21-2009, 07:05 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scottwilliamson
Having read all the posts on this subject I am amazed at the number of people who wish to spend time in prison.

I own a little security company here in Ohio, and have ran into similar problems as this more than once over the years. In Ohio anyone entering your home unenvited is a class 1 felony burglary, even if you gave them a key. If you make a complaint to the local PD they have to follow up even if they do not end up filing charges to cover their own rears.

The solution to this is simple, change all door locks, get a security system, and install a modern closed circut camera system. A modern 3 camera system with a recording time limited DVR will run about $500.00 and is pretty simple to install yourself. Make sure the system is motion activated and has date and time stamps. I don't know about in PA, but I install a very basic alarm system that encludes 3 door contacts, 1 motion detector, 1 touch pad, and the centrol control unit for right at $500.00 and will monitor it for $24.95 per month. So with changing the locks this would end up costing around $1200.00 to $1300.00.

One important thing to remeber if you choose to install a camera system is that the laws on how they are used vary from state to state, for example in Ohio if they also record sound you must place signs stating that fact every so many feet and of a certain size. And if a camera is recording a neighbors property it can only do so if it also watching some thing on your property.
I have a sign that say F@@k the dog, beware of the owner, and rather than spend 1300 for a security system I will rely on the Colt Combet Elite that I already own. You come in my house uninvited you will get one chance to lie face down on the floor after that ????? I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:11 PM
jjlefty51
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Teach your girlfriend how to handle a gun and then next time he enters her house keep pulling the trigger until the gun goes click...voila end of problem neighbor.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:01 PM
ko4qc
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vet767
I have a sign that say F@@k the dog, beware of the owner, and rather than spend 1300 for a security system I will rely on the Colt Combet Elite that I already own. You come in my house uninvited you will get one chance to lie face down on the floor after that ????? I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
That works fine if you never leave the house...:>)...I live alone,except when one of the kids are visiting..1-3 days a week usually....I have an (unmonitored)alarm system that 3-4 neighbors can hear when it goes off but I leave a few lights on that cycle on timers,plus a police scanner(to mimic conversation) and a radio tuned to KZ106...:>)...the few pennies I spend on extra electricity are well worth the peace of mind when I am at work (12hours) or on the bike etc for hours/days at a time...

Old 03-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Deluxechuck
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sucks living in a neighborhood sometimes. However, there are limits to what people can and can't do. Having a bike is not aginst the law. Walking into someones home with out permission is. I would file a report with the local PD and go from there. The only time a loud bike or car for that matter becomes a problem is if and when you ride up and down the street for hours on end. Just because it is loud doesn't mean its illegal. If you sit and rev the bike for a long period of time so that the intent is to "**** off" or make as much noise as possible, then you can be in violation of causeing a nusience. Just going in and out of the neighborhood once or twice a day isn't a crime. Just stay cool with the guy and don't provoke him by getting on the throttle(even though you may want to). there is nothing they can do about it.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:12 AM
cardoctor
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wonder if your gf mom asked the guy across the street to keep an eye on her
since she lives by herself and gave him a set of keys without even tell her daughter
unfortunatly she picked the wrong person im sure she didnt know the neighbor
was crazy

JR