Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Fla. require eye protection, along with a windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 05:10 AM
houndawgg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Fla. require eye protection, along with a windshield?

I got stopped in Ponce Inlet by a young cop and got a verbal warning for not having eye protection. He said it was reqired, even with a windshield, I might get a bug in my eye and crash.
If that's the theory, shouldn't you need eye protection in a cage, when your windows down?

Old 03-17-2009, 05:13 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But it's the law so how can anyone be asking questions

Old 03-17-2009, 05:26 AM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep required.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:32 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oops... thanks Duke. I was so busy being funny that I forgot to emphasize that "...it's the law..." part.

Steve

Old 03-17-2009, 05:50 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

Even with a full size windshield I've been smacked hard in the face by thousands of bugs. Not only is it the law but it's good common sense, if you value your eyesight.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:03 AM
RDM
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good friend went to court to try and beat a ticket for not wearing eye protection on a bike with a windshield. His point was based on not needing to wear eye protection when driving a convertible. The judge agreed that his point seemed valid, however the law states you need to wear eye protection while riding a bike, windshield or not. The law does not cover eye protection requirements while driving a convertible. So the judge gave him credit for making a good point but left the fine in place because of the way the law is written.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:10 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts
Thumbs up What Charley Said...

Originally Posted by cHarley
Even with a full size windshield I've been smacked hard in the face by thousands of bugs. Not only is it the law but it's good common sense, if you value your eyesight.

That says it all after near 40 years of working around Steam Turbines and Marine Diesels my hearing is shot ... Vision at 60 years old is still 20-20 and not about to lose it any sooner than nature makes it happen.. Have windshields on both my Bikes and have had bug splatter on my eyeshields many times... And Yes FL Law Requires Eye Protection one I happen to agree with although allow freedom of choice for a Helmet which I also agree with.. Bugs can splat you on the forehead too been there done that... And seagulls can $hlt on your head as well riding the coastal highway...

Last edited by JayStronghawk; 03-17-2009 at 06:26 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:14 AM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Most of the wind that hits your face behind a motorcycle windshield comes from below. Convertible cars don't have this problem. I have a detachable windshield on my bike, and although the bug problem is much reduced with the windshield in place, there's still plenty of bugs to eat behind the windshield. Expecially in Florida.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:18 AM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Mmmmm! Bugs.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:59 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't really care what other people do but i do wonder how you could ride without glasses on. Even on my UC with a 6 1/2 that wind kills me. Dry eyes and burning red just from my oakleys. I wear Rx glasses everyday anyway and i had to get a pair of Rx wiley x made because even my oakley Rx was not enough wind protection. The wiley x slyde Rx are my weapon of choice for riding.

Quick Reply: Does Fla. require eye protection, along with a windshield?