General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Fla. require eye protection, along with a windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 08:09 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

several years ago a friend of mine here in Alabama got a no eye protection ticket during Daytona Bike Week. $10 fine. he wadded up the ticket and threw it away. about 6 months later an Alabama State Trooper came to his house, took his drivers license and the tag from his bike until he paid the ticket.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:18 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

geeeezzzzzzzzzzz.........wear sunglasses.
Even with a windshield, you might wanna protect yer eyeballs if you enjoying seeing things

Old 03-17-2009, 08:23 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you really think riding an MC with a windshield is no different that driving your car with the windows down? That might be the craziest thing I've ever heard.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:30 AM
H20DOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Minnesota, it is the law to wear eye protection which means glasses or goggles... The windshield does not count.

In fact I have had my full face shield on and have gotten splattered by bugs, rocks, and dirt which got past my windshield.
What made you think that the windshield would qualify as eye protection?

Does NJ not require eye protection or in NJ does the windshield serve the purpose as eye protection?

Old 03-17-2009, 08:33 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I know a kid in CO that got an eye protection ticket while wearing a FF helmet with shield. He had the shield up and no glasses on. The cops had been after him for other stupid stuff, but the eye protection ticket stuck.
A windshield is not going to protect your eyes, unless it is the size of a barn door. ATGATT!

Old 03-17-2009, 08:48 AM
Open Mind
Cruiser

My riding partner in FLA got hit by debris from a truck just last week with his riding glasses on. They are the standard high velocity type glasses without the foam or padding around them.
The debris blew in the side and hit his eye. Microscopic particles and do some real damage to your eye.
He is fine, but the scar tissue is there in his eye and it gives an irritation feeling all the time until healed.

Even if you wear glasses of any kind things can still get in there, so be careful and choose something with the best protection to your eyes, after all your eyes provide you with sight, distance judgment, and some of your balance, you wouldn't be able to ride with only one eye.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:21 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

In some states, such as Kansas, you aren't required to wear eye protection if you have a windshield on the bike.

But still, I wouldn't think of riding without wearing a pair of sunglasses....

Besides blocking most of the wind they also keep the ash from your cigarette from flying into your eyes, even if you are just riding around at lower speeds.

I usually wear a good pair of glasses with a flash mirror coating, as it helps to reflect glare and people don't need to see my eyes anyway.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:22 AM
houndawgg
Tourer

Originally Posted by H20DOG
Does NJ not require eye protection or in NJ does the windshield serve the purpose as eye protection?
I guess NJ not requiring eye protection if you have a w.s. is why I'm so bedazzled. If there's a law, the republic of NJ will have it, as they love any additonal income the can squeeze out of us, which is not the case here.
I've been riding since 63 and have never had a instance as some here have mentioned, with a w.s. that was higher than my eye level.
All that aside, what I'm curious about is, what state your from, and does it require eye protection with a w.s.?

Old 03-17-2009, 09:35 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Shouldn't it be freedom of choice just like helmets? ATGATT

Old 03-17-2009, 09:51 AM
H20DOG
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by houndawgg
I guess NJ not requiring eye protection if you have a w.s. is why I'm so bedazzled. If there's a law, the republic of NJ will have it, as they love any additonal income the can squeeze out of us, which is not the case here.
I've been riding since 63 and have never had a instance as some here have mentioned, with a w.s. that was higher than my eye level.
All that aside, what I'm curious about is, what state your from, and does it require eye protection with a w.s.?
Hi
I am from Minnesota and they require eye protection ie glasses, googles or shield on helmet in down position. The windshield does not count.

Quick Reply: Does Fla. require eye protection, along with a windshield?