General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re-Painting

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 04:50 PM
lightu
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-Painting

I've got a 2007 RK with hard bags. I have a desire to paint it a different color. Nothing custom, just color. Anyone know about what that might cost? I want it to be very well done, as good as factory at least.

Thanks much!
EC

Old 03-16-2009, 05:32 PM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can pay anywhere from 50 bucks to 2000 bucks depending on the quality and professionalism in your area. Ask around. Talk to people near you that have had they're bike's painted. Look at the paint job they have. Shop around.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:33 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on where you are, what paint you use, what graphics, and more than anything, how good your painter is.... A good paint job, from a reputable painter can run from $2000 to $5000. If you know someone, have an "in" with a painter, or your brother in law, maybe a grand.... Go out there and get some quotes. Lot's of paint jobs over the internet. Just exchange your tins for repainted ones with what you what. You might get some ideas by talking to your local dealer and asking them who does good motorcycle work. Good Luck

Old 03-16-2009, 05:35 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BobStreetBob
You can pay anywhere from 50 bucks to 2000 bucks depending on the quality and professionalism in your area. Ask around. Talk to people near you that have had they're bike's painted. Look at the paint job they have. Shop around.
would go this way myself

Old 03-16-2009, 05:49 PM
jokerx
Banned

If you're not lookin for anything special, just an "as good as Harley" paint job, Harley does have a paint program / sheet metal exchange that's not really that expensive. I think for under $2k for a bagger set and cheaper for dynas sportys and softails

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...xchangeprogram

Old 03-17-2009, 01:00 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

For a good, quality paint job, done at a shop, easily $2,000.
If you can talk to that painter and get him to do it as a side job, maybe $1,000.

The painting is the easy part. All the labor (and cost) is in the prep work. If you get a cheap paint job, they'll skimp on the prep - you won't be happy.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:38 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
For a good, quality paint job, done at a shop, easily $2,000.
If you can talk to that painter and get him to do it as a side job, maybe $1,000.

The painting is the easy part. All the labor (and cost) is in the prep work. If you get a cheap paint job, they'll skimp on the prep - you won't be happy.
Some guys will let you do part of the prep work, and wet sanding at the end, to help you save a buck or two. But if you just want to drop it off, pick it up, get the checkbook out.

Just on Mpls Craigslist, there are several guys posting for 'custom paint sets' and paint jobs. It's just like every other aspect of business, right now. They are s-l-o-w.
FYI - here's a couple for you to get an idea.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/1071331440.html
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/1061846238.html

Up here, IMFUO, IF you are going to paint an entire bagger, you are going to be close to, if not over the $2G mark. That's if you disassemble and re-assemble.
No offense to any one here, OR the MoCo, but, IMFUO, they have really 'lacked' for decent paint sets and color combos, on the baggers. A couple of the CVO paint sets/colors are eye catchers, but most are rather mundane. But that is just one ol' farts FUO.

This one was painted at Xtreme Paint in Wyoming, Mn. Our old neighbor worked there, and I was there when this rolled out of the spray booth. The guy who built this, is also a very close friend, Stack and Kim, of Stack's Creative Customs, Forest Lake, Mn.
"Real Fire" and it is WAY better in person. BTW, it's for sale. 250 rear, 200 front, custom made triple trees, etc.
This was a 'friend' working for a 'friend', and even Kim wouldn't tell me how much it was. But our old neighbor said it was over 4, easily.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/1078110062.html

Last edited by Da Gumpmeister; 03-17-2009 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:06 AM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

If the moneys tight pull the tins yourself and carry them to the painter, you'll save on the overall labor.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:05 AM
lightu
Advanced

Hey, thanks a bunch for all the info. I will do some shopping, and checking out other paint work that has been done. And I'll also check on the exchange program thru hd. Great help everyone!

EC

Old 03-17-2009, 11:17 AM
raaaaaa
Road Master

if your bike is stock, then just by new tins because it does not pay to repaint your old tins, unless you know the painter it will not be as good as stock harley paint.

Quick Reply: Re-Painting