Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubber mounted versus rigid - sound off!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Miss Direction
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubber mounted versus rigid - sound off!

Hi everyone: I'm looking for some input from riders who have spent time on both rubber mounted engine bikes (specifically HD's touring family) and on rigid mount (Heritage, Fat Boy, etc.). Is the loug haul ride experience better on one than the other? I currently ride an '05 Dyna Low Rider, and being somewhat "vertically challenged", moving to virtually any other bike would required some modifications if not an outright lowering. So, test rides on stock bikes are pretty out of the question (with a possible exception for a Deluxe). I've heard all kinds of comments, from the the Road King rider who "HATED" the ride on the loaner Heritage she got when her bike was in the shop, to a former Wide Glide rider (now an Ultra guy) who swears his WG was as comfortable a ride as the Ultra. I know that a lot of it is individual opinion, and I'm VERY comfortable on the Dyna right now, but there have been times when a heavier bike might have been a bit more forgiving.

Just wondering what y'all think...

Old 03-16-2009, 02:49 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is my take on the rubber mount vs. solid mount.

I used to own an 06 Fatboy and it was a great bike. I went to Vegas multiple times (from San Diego) and It was a great ride. Bike felt solid and I never really noticed any vibration. With a windshield I could ride all day long and not be tired. Then I traded it for an 09 Road Glide. The idle on the RG shakes a little, nothing bad but if your in stop and go traffic it may get to you. After you get moving, the touring bikes are smooth as silk. When I had my Fatboy I didnt think it vibrated at all while at speed, after being on a touring bike, I can tell you that the counter balanced motors have a fair amount of vibration at speed. I will also say that the rear suspension on the touring bikes is far superior to that of the softail line up. The vertical shocks on the touring bikes makes the rear wheel stick to the road better than than the horizontal shocks on the softail family. Now dont get me wrong, the softail's are good handling bikes and do their job well, but the touring bikes do it better. I will also say that the my RG handled a lot better than my fatboy due to it having less rake than the softail. So for 300 mile days every now and then and weekend riding, the softail line up is great. For every day riding and 400+ miles days I think the touring bikes win hands down. I use my bike for commuting to work every day and the radio, cruise control and Brembo brakes on my bike make going to work every day a lot nicer.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:59 PM
jokerx
Banned

Honestly, at speed I don't notice too much of a difference between the two. You get vibration on the rubber mounted scoots at idle and a buzz on the solid mounted scoots at 70 or so. Owned two softails prior to the street glide.

Either one of them will haul your *** all day or around the corner; put in plenty of 600+ mile days on the softail and comfortable as can be.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:01 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,518 Likes on 925 Posts

I have a 06 Softail std & love the ride but wanted a second bike for more 2 up riding with my SO. Took out an 08 Ultra that rattled my teeth around town & my wife felt like she was using a vibrator (so why didn't she like it? ). Felt great above 35-40mph. Tried a Street Glide too, same feeling. Finally took out a Heritage & it was the best of both worlds. Much more comfortable then the Standard, ride & seating wise, great around town & on the road. Ended up with an 09 Heritage. You will hear both sides here so just test drive each type if you can. A Deluxe is really low so you should be able to fit on a stock bike. The touring bikes are higher but I think the 09 Street Glide (or maybe the 08) felt the lowest of the touring models.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Miss Direction
2nd Gear

Thanks for your input! That's a good description. My bike for the most part is used for touring, meaning 400-500 mile days (weekends and vacations), so I've always been kind of leaning toward a tourer anyway. I just don't want to write off an entire class of bikes just on my own assumptions.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:09 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I have had both and I'll just say if my RK had the softail B motor it would be the perfect bike for me. But I'd rather have the RK for the ride and the wind protection on long hauls. Plus the hard bags are nice. The engine is smooth above idle however and with the new velva ride mount I put in up front, the engine is a lot quieter at idle. So overall, the RK wins. But I wouldn't kick a softail out of the garage.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:10 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the 7 horsepower more in the rubber mounted engine bikes.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:20 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by cadman311
I like the 7 horsepower more in the rubber mounted engine bikes.
7 horsepower? No way. I'd say more like 2.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:26 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

It's not just about the rubber mount in the new touring models. Thicker frame tubes, more weight carrying ability, more rigid handling,17" front rim (other than the RKC), better adjustable suspention, more comfortable passenger seating position, lower exhaust pipes, keeping heat away from the passenger better, no oil bag heat on long rides, etc., on touring rubber mounted bikes.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:27 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup, only about two ponies. Not even worth mentioning.
Ron

Quick Reply: Rubber mounted versus rigid - sound off!