Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubber mounted versus rigid - sound off!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 05:10 PM
jokerx
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every report I've read put the B motor down about 7hp from the A motors.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:22 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Scroll down on this link to see actual performance comparison figures on Stage One setups.

Check charts 3,4, and 5. Take into account the tour models have fat mufflers which give better performance as well, as stated:

The difference in power between Dressers and Dyna/Softails is due to the exhaust system. FLH's have a very large volume in the exhaust system which allows the exhaust to fill this space while the noise is being dampened prior to exiting the mufflers. This shows the benefits of a crossover in the exhaust and having larger mufflers. While few riders are willing to put FLH sized mufflers on their Dyna or Softail, it does show the effectiveness of the FLH exhaust in streetable engine combinations.

These charts are also '07 models. I haven't seen anything about the new exhaust set up on the Tour models, if it works better than the '07's and '08's.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/h...erformance.htm

Last edited by MNPGRider; 03-16-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:34 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carpetride
I have had both and I'll just say if my RK had the softail B motor it would be the perfect bike for me. But I'd rather have the RK for the ride and the wind protection on long hauls. Plus the hard bags are nice. The engine is smooth above idle however and with the new velva ride mount I put in up front, the engine is a lot quieter at idle. So overall, the RK wins. But I wouldn't kick a softail out of the garage.
Sounds just about what i would have said

Old 03-16-2009, 05:52 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

WELKUM to the Zoo.

I'm approaching from the different direction. What fits you, BEST. IMFUO, look in the softtail class. You can do A LOT of things with the controls, ride height, etc. You'll have to lower a Touring model, and for that $$, you can do Progressive air adjustables on a soft tail.

Want to go touring, Heritage, IMFUO. You can load it up with a good trunk to match the bags. Wimp-shield with lower wind deflectors. More? Set of crash bars with leather lowers.

Get home from that run into the mountains for a few days or the run to Sturgis. Pull everything off it, solo seat it, you got an 'round town, DeLuxe.
IF you have the $$, then one of each like some have.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:17 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Had both, and actually, loved them both. There's no question that softail look is awesome. But I love the lockable bags, and now, the fairing. DC Fairing. But you can put that on a softail just as easy. I like the shocks and suspension of the Touring Family, and you know it's got to pull some ponies away to spin those counterbalancers full time on the B motor. Seems like it's almost a migration type process for many. Once you leave the softail family and join the Touring bikes, your hooked. Like said on many of these threads, it really all about choice. What do you like? What do you prefer? What's going to make you happy? Because bottom line, it doesn't matter what everybody else likes or prefers....It's all about what YOU like! Probably not much help, just a few thoughts.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Lowridin packer
Road Captain

Just curious, but if you are going to just go to a softtail, why not put bags on the low rider and a windshield. You can set it up just a nice.

A touring bike is a step up, a lot better on the highway and long trips. But the engine will feel just like your low rider- I went from a low rider to a EGC to a Street Glide.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:12 PM
travroc
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
WELKUM to the Zoo.

I'm approaching from the different direction. What fits you, BEST. IMFUO, look in the softtail class. You can do A LOT of things with the controls, ride height, etc. You'll have to lower a Touring model, and for that $$, you can do Progressive air adjustables on a soft tail.

Want to go touring, Heritage, IMFUO. You can load it up with a good trunk to match the bags. Wimp-shield with lower wind deflectors. More? Set of crash bars with leather lowers.

Get home from that run into the mountains for a few days or the run to Sturgis. Pull everything off it, solo seat it, you got an 'round town, DeLuxe.
IF you have the $$, then one of each like some have.
+1 gump......prolly the most versatile scoot in the HD lineup IMO.

The Heritage is the "Touring" Softail, and you can strip it down to a nice bar hopper. I know a guy who has a Heritage with a detachable batwing fairing, CD/stereo, GPS, lockable hard bags, and a tour pack. From a distance you would think it was an Ultra. In less than an hour he can strip it down to look like a Fat Boy.

My sig pic is of the wife and I coming home from a 1200 mile trip over the weekend.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:37 PM
4JAYS
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to be dikc. But, ride what YOU like. Why do give a rats **** what I like?

I do not sit up at night thinking about weather or not I prefer a hard tail or softail because somebody else has an opinon about it.

We're all different.

And I''l be the first to admit, I m more f'd up than anybody else I know.
Really wanna know my mind thinks? And that affects you, God love ya.

I respect everyone who has it comin', and ya all have it comin - till you prove otherwise, but, in reality. Ride your ride , live your life, pay your bills. Do all that and you don't need to care what anybody else thinks.
Do your best for yourself and yours. You only live one time.
No replay, no do over. Do it.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:13 PM
madcitycustom
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Up until a few years ago, I owned a dyna before my current Softail Custom. I will never own another dyna. I'm glad you enjoy yours though.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:01 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 248 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Miss Direction
Hi everyone: I'm looking for some input from riders who have spent time on both rubber mounted engine bikes (specifically HD's touring family) and on rigid mount (Heritage, Fat Boy, etc.). Is the loug haul ride experience better on one than the other? I currently ride an '05 Dyna Low Rider, and being somewhat "vertically challenged", moving to virtually any other bike would required some modifications if not an outright lowering. So, test rides on stock bikes are pretty out of the question (with a possible exception for a Deluxe). I've heard all kinds of comments, from the the Road King rider who "HATED" the ride on the loaner Heritage she got when her bike was in the shop, to a former Wide Glide rider (now an Ultra guy) who swears his WG was as comfortable a ride as the Ultra. I know that a lot of it is individual opinion, and I'm VERY comfortable on the Dyna right now, but there have been times when a heavier bike might have been a bit more forgiving.

Just wondering what y'all think...
You can alter your current bike using Street Glide air shocks and Race Tech Gold Valves or the new Ricor Intiminator Fork Valves (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ification.html), those mods will give you a nice smooth ride, thats where I'm at now with my set up.

You also can set up your bike like the below Wide Glide; fairing, floor boards, and saddle bags.

Quick Reply: Rubber mounted versus rigid - sound off!