General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Oil Flush-Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 07:08 AM
dexterdave
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Oil Flush-Suggestions?

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to flush out the engine oil system in my '92 Heritage.
I had an oil change about 30 miles ago, and the oil is pretty "dirty". I can only assume there's a lot of crap lurking in the engine, and a good cleaning/flushing may be in order. (I see Amsoil and "Mighty" have flushing products)

I'd like to hear from you pro's out there re: good/bad idea? right/wrong way to do this?

Thanks for any help !

Dave

Old 03-16-2009, 08:33 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 1,841 Posts
Old 03-16-2009, 08:41 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Depends on the type of oil your using, dino vs. synthetic.

If you're running a quality syn oil degunking should not be necessary. One of the common complaints you hear about changing to syn in a high mileage motor that has been using dino is that it causes gaskets to start leaking. That's not really true. What happens is that these older motors have dried out gaskets that are litteraly being held together and are still sealing because of gunk deposits that have formed on the gasket edges. Synthetic's cleaning properties are good enough to breakdown and clean these builtup deposits away and as a results the old dried out gaskets start leaking. Bottom line here is that under normal conditions, if you are running syn, there should be little to worry about in the way of gunk.

Remember that an oil change on your HD always leaves behind a bit over half a quart of the old oil and that will tend to make the oil look dirty shortly after a fresh oil change.

If you've been running dino oil then a true flush may be what you want. Be prepaired however for leaks if it's a higher mileage motor for the reasons listed above.

If your worried about the 1/2 a quart of old oil that's left during an oil change you have 2 options if you're using syn.
1 - You can get a oil system Purge kit to fully flush out the system.
2 - Do 2 back to back oil changes with 20 - 30 miles riding between the 2 changes. Change the oil filter on the second change, not the first.

JMO, I'm sure you'll get others.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:42 AM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Buy a can of "Seafoam". you add 1 1/2 ounces per liter of oil into your engine oil. you now run around 100 miles to allow the stuff to scrub your engine. than do an oil change & filter.
Your oil will darken up fairly fast after you change it but that is o.k. It's still cleaning for awhile after you pull it out. While your doing that, pour around 1/4 can into a full tank of fuel & you will scrub out your fuel system as well.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:45 AM
TruBluUltra
Tourer

RogueChoppers.com has a kit for flushing oil.....haven't checked it out but remember seeing it in AI

Old 03-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Amsoil and see no reason to scrub the system

Old 03-17-2009, 06:10 AM
sportsterleroy
Cruiser

I have used the cors system on my sportster and my road glide for about 5years.
The Contaminated Oil Removal System (CORS) allows you to remove 99.9% of the old contaminated oil from your American V-Twin motorcycle engine.

it is easy to use and inexpensive to own about $20 bucks. Simple as drain oil, remove filter , fill oil tank, install Cors system ,start engine and run until new clean oil flows out and see the dirty oil you left in it without doing this.

I am not questioning the ability of other options but simple easy and $20 bucks. Made in cleveland ohio by a one man operation .

heres the link and take a look you decide if it will do what you want.
http://2armcyclestore.com/

Sportsterleroy

Old 03-17-2009, 06:21 AM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TruBluUltra
RogueChoppers.com has a kit for flushing oil.....haven't checked it out but remember seeing it in AI
I've got the Rogue Choppers Scavenger, works great.
http://www.roguechopper.com/

Old 03-17-2009, 06:32 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Well all good advice here ... My Trick is add 2 ounces Marvel Mystery Oil to the Gastank when top it off ... Put the rest of the Quart into the crankcase ( DO NOT OVERFILL ) Run the Hell out of it for 100 miles get back home and dump it while still hot ... Be surprised to what dumps out...

Old 03-17-2009, 06:52 AM
roadking1893
Tourer

+1 on the "seafoam" comment. I've done some personal test on my own on the claim how it brakes down dry and burnt oil. Follow the recommended amount for each qt. of oil and add it in and live it until your next oil changes. you'll be amazed of the result.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Flush-Suggestions?